Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, thought I’d throw this up here since I couldn’t find any feedback before I purchased.
So I initially installed a mufflerless catback system on my Red Sport paired with the AMS lower downpipes. It was a big mistake for me. Thought I wanted loud, turns out I didn’t at all. I made it four miles down the road before I turned around and had the own muffler reinstalled with the AMS downpipes still. As effective as they were, I didn’t really care for the amplified turbo sound coming in cabin so I took a shot on the HKS.
Initial response was couldn’t be happier. If you want more power without sacrificing luxury, these are the way to go. They aren’t any louder in the slightest bit at cruise or wide open throttle. Sounds stock.
As far as build quality and fitment, I’d give them 5 stars. My installer rated the ease of install at 9 out of 10.
And lastly for performance, this was difficult for me to judge at first. I had them installed at the same time I was supposed to get an Ecutek tune. Unfortunately there was an issue on not having the right flash for my specific early year model, so I had downpipes installed but was down JB4 when I left. That was removed because I had it sold the next day. So needless to say I couldn’t compare it to before I brought it in so I am comparing to stock. It has definitely picked a lot in the low end. I’m getting wheel spin where I haven’t previously on stock boost levels. And most impressively to me is that partial throttle acceleration, like as used for lane changes. The car just floats effortlessly as the turbo spools quicker at lower rpms.
I’m a fan of the 2.5” over the competitors 3” variants. I’ll sacrifice a little horsepower for torque since the vast majority of my driving is not spent at wide open throttle. And IMO, 3” is overkill on these tiny turbos and my tuner agreed with that.
Again, couldn’t be happier with them. I should be getting the tune in the next week or two so I’ll be sure to update and post the dyno graph for all who are interested.
Thank you the great review. I'm actually looking into purchasing these downpipes along with a FI resonated CBE but am now a little worried that it will be too quiet. I want something louder than stock but not super loud. Maybe FI downpipes with resonated CBE? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Is this with stock downpipes? And is your setup louder than stock?
Yes, stock downpipes. When I first start the car and the wastegates are open for about 20 seconds, definitely a louder, lower frequency rumble. After the wastegates close, the exhaust sounds just slightly louder than stock. I do notice a slight resonance centered at 2200 rpm while cruising but it isn't objectionable and if I have music playing, it isn't noticeable. I'm considering the HKS LDP because it has a resonator also and I'll happily trade a little HP and torque for a quieter car as my goal is a sleeper exhaust.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So just to update. I DID put in an order with fast intentions for the resonated touring system. It’ll be a few weeks but I’ll be sure to make some videos of the system paired to these downpipes. If you’re afraid it may be too quiet you could always get the non resonated version. The nice part about that is, if it ends up being too much for you, you can go to a reputable local muffler shop and they can add resonators after the fact.
Thank you the great review. I'm actually looking into purchasing these downpipes along with a FI resonated CBE but am now a little worried that it will be too quiet. I want something louder than stock but not super loud. Maybe FI downpipes with resonated CBE? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the review. Did you happen to obtain weights of the HKS DPs before install? What CB do you have?

I do still think the bang for the buck purchase is the Megan Racing DPs but it's good to have options. And, of course, the HKS are resonated. I'm not totally sure but I suspect noise output would be similar with resonators in either the DPs or the CB. Did you contemplate that combo? - Keeping your AMS DPs and going with a resonated exhaust?
When it comes to sound volume and rasp. You always want to have the resonator as close to the source as possible. You can see the Engineers at HKS put that resonator right at the mouth of the downpipe bc that is where the increase in sound volume would occur.

You can quiet a standard downpipe with resonators in the exhaust, but it will be less efficient doing it that way. Using these with my MBRP exhaust, and it sounds virtually the same as it did with stock cats. It is a bit louder, and I love the extra turbo noise. but no rasp or drone which we all know is there with standard downpipes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, stock downpipes. When I first start the car and the wastegates are open for about 20 seconds, definitely a louder, lower frequency rumble. After the wastegates close, the exhaust sounds just slightly louder than stock. I do notice a slight resonance centered at 2200 rpm while cruising but it isn't objectionable and if I have music playing, it isn't noticeable. I'm considering the HKS LDP because it has a resonator also and I'll happily trade a little HP and torque for a quieter car as my goal is a sleeper exhaust.
Good luck with the ride and thanks for the response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So just to update. I DID put in an order with fast intentions for the resonated touring system. It’ll be a few weeks but I’ll be sure to make some videos of the system paired to these downpipes. If you’re afraid it may be too quiet you could always get the non resonated version. The nice part about that is, if it ends up being too much for you, you can go to a reputable local muffler shop and they can add resonators after the fact.
I'll be very interested in seeing those videos once it's installed and tbh the non resonated with these downpipes is not a bad idea as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
When it comes to sound volume and rasp. You always want to have the resonator as close to the source as possible. You can see the Engineers at HKS put that resonator right at the mouth of the downpipe bc that is where the increase in sound volume would occur.

You can quiet a standard downpipe with resonators in the exhaust, but it will be less efficient doing it that way. Using these with my MBRP exhaust, and it sounds virtually the same as it did with stock cats. It is a bit louder, and I love the extra turbo noise. but no rasp or drone which we all know is there with standard downpipes.

Excellent point and awesome video! Thanks for uploading this. Should help a lot of people out. Your setup sounds amazing. Very clean yet not overwhelming. Can’t wait to put my fast intentions catback behind the downpipes!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I picked up the ARK Grip exhaust and it is really quiet as well. Perfect since I have a wife that hated my STI and was completely against anything that rumbled. The FI resonated system is also very nice. I got the ARK on black friday deal with 1560 shipped. Couldn't beat that!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's a short video...For some reason the Iphone cuts out and lowers the volume when it returns. Anyhow, its just ever so slightly louder than stock. It gets even quieter when warmed up.

EDIT: I think I figured out the volume thing and will remake a new video. Can't anymore tonight. My wife is going to get pissed if I keep honking the horn and turning the car on 😂

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here's a short video...For some reason the Iphone cuts out and lowers the volume when it returns. Anyhow, its just ever so slightly louder than stock. It gets even quieter when warmed up.

EDIT: I think I figured out the volume thing and will remake a new video. Can't anymore tonight. My wife is going to get pissed if I keep honking the horn and turning the car on 😂

Sounds really nice! No resonators on mid-pipe right? Is this with stock catted lower downpipes? Definitely upload another vid and blow some revs. Great deal with the Black Friday sale.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, it is still fully catted. I will absolutely upload a rev video...I just need to get my gopro back in order and I'll do some street driving too.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks Wf. Wouldn't lower gear (higher RPM) = louder?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sounds great @Windforce !! Nice clean growl without being obnoxious. That signature Infiniti “purr” is back. Now time to shove some extra boost in it hahaha!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think you misread. I said I kept it in a lower gear. It is way quieter when regular driving.
Yes, I think I read your 'when' as a 'than', sorry.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts