Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Remind me why we chose the HKSs instead of the CZPs?

They're both resonated and both 2.5''. We don't know the specifics of the resonators used in both applications but with it being that small...There cannot be as many variables such as a chambered muffler vs a straight which play a large role in sound. It's just baffling and the amount of fiberglass packing. Negligible difference with it being that tiny.

It comes down to craftsmanship at this point. HKS has been in the game much longer than PPE. My $ would go to HKS. Oh, it's also $5 cheaper to cover a tall Miller Light to calm you down trying to get the 02 sensor off the passenger downpipe.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I ordered the HKS simply because I didn't see the PPE. There doesn't appear to be much of a difference in design or cost anyway.

Just got my shipping notice. HKS Delivery date is 1/7/20.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
According to FedEx, mine are due "today", Jan 2nd. I quote "today" because it is technically Jan 2, 1:10am, but I haven't gone to bed yet so it's really just late Jan 1 for me. ;)

Did you receive yours Ave?

Hey...... Jan 2...... crap, that's mrs. ptatohed's 38th birthday...... did I get her anything? :-O

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
According to FedEx, mine are due "today", Jan 2nd. I quote "today" because it is technically Jan 2, 1:10am, but I haven't gone to bed yet so it's really just late Jan 1 for me. ;)

Hey...... Jan 2...... crap, that's mrs. ptatohed's 38th birthday...... did I get her anything? :-O
The FedEx tracker stills says 1/7 for my scheduled delivery.

Just put a bow on the LDPs and say to her "Surprise!"...then duck.

·
Registered
991 Posts

You better get busy.:unsure:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ahh, bummer. The family was out of the house and looks like FedEx requires a sig. Luckily they'll allow us to leave the sig at the door in case we are out tomorrow too.

I wonder why I am getting mine before A53?

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Ahh, bummer. The family was out of the house and looks like FedEx requires a sig. Luckily they'll allow us to leave the sig at the door in case we are out tomorrow too.

I wonder why I am getting mine before A53?

View attachment 90105
Because I live in the sticks. I checked "no signature" on my order so I wouldn't have to be at home to have them delivered.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Because I live in the sticks. I checked "no signature" on my order so I wouldn't have to be at home to have them delivered.
I don't remember seeing the sig/no sig option but I would have certainly selected no sig if I came across that. There's no worse teaser than missing out on your car parts delivery by a day over a sig. Knowing that the Fed Ex guy brought your part(s) all the way to your door, just to turn around and take it away.

Of course, the LDPs will sit in the box in my garage for many more weeks before install. But that's not the point, the point is I should have been able to open the box and begin ogling on the 2nd, not the 3rd. ;)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Mine were delivered 'today' (Jan 3, though it is now Jan 4, 2am). Family was out if the house but just leaving the signed slip at the door worked. Packaged well and look like nice quality. I stuck them in the 'to be installed eventually' pile along with the JB4 + fuel wires, AMS expansion tanks, and footwell lighting LEDs. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great thread fellas, I'm contemplating doing bolt on "sleeper" upgrades to my new
2020 RS AWD consisting of: HKS resonated LDP's, FI resonated CBE system, HKS
dual BOV's, AMS air intake kit, and either a AMS (very $$$ but top notch) or a Berger
Tuning heat exchanger (although I hate the Idea of having to disassemble the front end)
I may also add a AMS drive shaft just as a precaution (with a weight savings +) and finally
a brake performance upgrade via new HP rotors and pads (to me the stock RS rotors and
pads seem to work pretty decent though) I have heard of complaints from other Q50 owners
about the brakes, but to me they seem acceptable in the sport trim. Yes, I will also dump those
awful stock Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Run Flats ASAP.

My goal is rather simple, gain as much horse power (Ideally 408-415 WHP) and add some
grunt at the tail without going being obnoxiously loud for a daily driver, while keeping it inline
as a sleeper. I want to avoid making any changes to the ECU and don't want to raise boost
levels from the stock 14.5 PSI levels thus avoiding any possible warranty issues...Lastly, I
will dump the stock engine oil and oil filter and fill it up with Amsoil 0W-20 Signature Series
Premium 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (API SN+ Rated) Including a Amsoil high flow premium
filter. I am a Amsoil dealer so I get the oil and filter at dealer cost...The Amsoil worked wonders
on my Son's Bren Tuned 2016 MB CLS 63 AMG S (the thing is a absolute GORILLA @ 620
WHP and 690 WTQ) it uses two approved oil grades: 0W-40 and 5W-40 for the M157 engine
it houses...BTW its running straight LDP's with high flow exhaust system...boy does it smell...

I want to enhance reliability while at he same increase air flow to the Intakes and decrease
back pressures in the exhaust system...While I may not make it to my goal of 408-415 WHP
I should get fairly close, and still adding better reliability to the car.

Thanks to those who have responded to my earlier threads and have given their experiences on the questions at hand.

ETA: Stock Q50 Red Sport models seem to be running in the neighborhood of 375/378 WHP on most dyno's...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Nice plan, thanks for sharing Dr. I love to see enthusiastic car owners. :)

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I received the HKS LDPs today. First impression was focused on weld quality since I've spent more time inspecting boiler tube welds than I care to admit. While the weld quality on the FI CBE was excellent, I can't say the same for the HKS welds. Some spots of porosity as well as too slow of travel in some other sections. Bead overlap on a couple of the flanges. Does any of that indicate a potential weld failure? No. The welds are adequate but simply sloppy in spots compared to FI's welds.

I do have a couple of questions for those who have installed these HKS LDPs. The usual metal flange gaskets were provided for the two-bolt flanges but for the three-bolt flange on the upper end of the passenger side LDP, a ring gasket was provided instead. Why is that? Also, did you use Permetex red RTV on the gaskets?

Scheduling installation today.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I received the HKS LDPs today. First impression was focused on weld quality since I've spent more time inspecting boiler tube welds than I care to admit. While the weld quality on the FI CBE was excellent, I can't say the same for the HKS welds. Some spots of porosity as well as too slow of travel in some other sections. Bead overlap on a couple of the flanges. Does any of that indicate a potential weld failure? No. The welds are adequate but simply sloppy in spots compared to FI's welds.

I do have a couple of questions for those who have installed these HKS LDPs. The usual metal flange gaskets were provided for the two-bolt flanges but for the three-bolt flange on the upper end of the passenger side LDP, a ring gasket was provided instead. Why is that? Also, did you use Permetex red RTV on the gaskets?

I hope that when you get them installed, the sound is not too loud for you, I know with the catback it is going to be louder, I have tried a number of different setups.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I hope that when you get them installed, the sound is not too loud for you, I know with the catback it is going to be louder, I have tried a number of different setups.
The resonated FI CBE sound level in the cabin is fine. I hit up the shop where I had the CBE installed and service guy just moved here from CA. He wasn't sure about removing the secondary cats since he's from CARB country and wanted to check with the service manager first. I don't think there will be a problem but if so, I have another shop here who's done work for me that will likely do it.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Start spraying those nuts with PB Blaster now! I didn't even dive in deep enough to my box to see what gaskets were provided. I'll take a look. I haven't used Permetex on any of my aftermarket exhausts but I am darn tempted.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I don't think there will be a problem but if so, I have another shop here who's done work for me that will likely do it.
Since you are outside the Portland/Medford areas, you are not required to get emissions checked, which you know...

I haven't had the secondary cats installed on my Q60 since early 2017, started with FI LDPs & resonated CBE, then FI Full (Catted) DPs. Never a CEL, whether on stock tune or Ecutek. Again, the secondary cats are active for the cold start (and initial drive-off) only, so it's "dead weight" for almost the entire drive cycle. Further, Infiniti opens the electronic WGs to increase flow across the primary cat to get it to "light-off" faster, so the VR30 spends very little time in "open-loop".

Compare it to the "coal-rolling" idiots I see on the road, I'd tell the ex-CA service guy that your Q50 with no secondary cats has practically no impact on Mother Earth. But again, you know this - I'm simply restating the obvious.

As for noise, my wife has ridden shotgun with me during all these exhaust upgrade stages, and despite the FI LDPs (no resonators) or the FI Catted DPs, hasn't complained about cabin noise... in fact, the Dumflats caused her more consternation then the FI exhaust.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

Sorry I can’t answer any of these questions for you as I had my shop install for me and didn’t bother to ask. However, I really don’t believe they increase in cabin noise whatsoever. I put them on my stock CB and couldn’t tell a difference whatsoever. When I had the AMS lowers on there was no hiding it. And the increase in noise wasn’t coming out the back. The non-resonated downpipes act as an “amplifier” and the spool was a bit obnoxious right in front of you. Either way, I was finally able to get a nice “hit” in tonight on the new tune with the resonated Fast Intentions. I apologize in advance, as my only source for filming is an iPhone 7. Anyways, I think you’ll be pleased. It’s still very tame, and to me, under wide open conditions engine noise overpowers the exhaust from in cabin at least.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

Ok, so I looked deeper into the box tonight and, you're right, the downstream gaskets provided by HKS are those metal-ish/hard-board kind and the upstream DS is the same, while the upstream PS is a crush ring. Weird. I can't answer your question as to why. I do know that my Megan Racing LDPs gave me the metal/hard-board gaskets and I had water droplet leaks at the downstream connections. When I installed my Stillen CB and used their provided gaskets which are only hard-board with a center metal ring, the droplets stopped. So I hesitate to use HKSs gaskets when I install my HKS LDPs. I think I will try without the Permetex first, then add if I see any leaks.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
So I hesitate to use HKSs gaskets when I install my HKS LDPs. I think I will try without the Permetex first, then add if I see any leaks.
When I installed the FI LDPs back in early 2017, FI specified the upper PS LDP seal would be using Permatex (vs a gasket), so that's not unusual. I installed the LDP this way and it was fine (no leaks).

FI now supplies a gasket for the PS upper, as well. Their instructions below for the PS LDP install:

NOTE: For step 16, hardware needed: Supplied 4x 3/8" flange bolts / 4x 3/8" flange nuts / 1x 2.5" 3-bolt gasket / 1x 2.5" 2-bolt gasket & 1 of the OEM nuts that was removed in step 10.

16) Underside: Passenger Side- Install the FI lower down pipe using the referenced hardware in the previous note. Tighten all hardware starting with the 2 bolts/nuts on top along with 1 OEM nut, followed by the 2 bolts/nuts on bottom. WARNING: DO NOT reuse the metal crush ring that was attached the OEM lower down pipe. For the lower connection point, use the supplied FI 2.5" 2-bolt metal gasket.

61 - 80 of 131 Posts