Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
The GM dealership here refused to do the LDP swap because it would remove the cat. I have a couple of other places here that I'm going to hit up today to see if they will do it. The federal laws that govern cat removal/replacement don't really address vehicles that have secondary cats but the GM dealership decided not to do the swap anyway.

The search goes on.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The GM dealership here refused to do the LDP swap because it would remove the cat. I have a couple of other places here that I'm going to hit up today to see if they will do it. The federal laws that govern cat removal/replacement don't really address vehicles that have secondary cats but the GM dealership decided not to do the swap anyway.

The search goes on.
I wish you lived nearby. I'd invite you over for some pizza and Mountain Dew dinner tonight, and then we'd get 'er done in a few hours, while listening to some Motley Crue. :)

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I wish you lived nearby. I'd invite you over for some pizza and Mountain Dew dinner tonight, and then we'd get 'er done in a few hours, while listening to some Motley Crue. :)
Listening to "Kickstart My Heart" while "Doing the Dew" and pulling wrenches. What's not to like? Oh well.

·
Registered
424 Posts

The search goes on.
May I suggest the DIY? I'm a pretty shitty mechanic but I managed to do the LDP in a couple of hours.

Or, look for performance oriented shops that do custom fabrication and the like. They tend to ignore things like emissions from my experience.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Tin Man: Find a tuner shop. There is no muffler/exhaust shop that is willing to risk a fine.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
May I suggest the DIY? I'm a pretty shitty mechanic but I managed to do the LDP in a couple of hours.

Or, look for performance oriented shops that do custom fabrication and the like. They tend to ignore things like emissions from my experience.
I've already given him a hard time for not DIYing his mods. He came back with "I don't have a garage". I then gave him a hard time for not having a garage! lol

;)

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Keep in mind it's in the mid-40's, blowing about 25 mph and raining on a 2"/day rate. If you think I'm going to work on a car outside in this weather, carport or not, you don't know me very well.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Keep in mind it's in the mid-40's, blowing about 25 mph and raining on a 2"/day rate. If you think I'm going to work on a car outside in this weather, carport or not, you don't know me very well.
You're the only retired millionaire I know who has a carport. :p Get yourself a garage my friend! ;)

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
You're the only retired millionaire I know who has a carport. :p Get yourself a garage my friend! ;)
Trust me, we will be selling this house within the next year because we don't need 4,000 sq. ft. for just the two of us. The next house will have a garage without a doubt.

I talked to the independent exhaust shop that use to work on my Grand Cherokee (what a POS that thing was). They said no problem and to bring the car in on Monday.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Alright. HKS LDPs are installed. Cost me $180 for 2 hrs labor. I didn't get to really push it much as it has been raining every day here since Xmas but after a brief drive, here are my initial observations:

When starting the car it sounds slightly louder then it did with just the FI resonated CBE until the electronic waste gates closed and then it was no different than before. Cruising at a steady speed, I detected no difference in the cabin and didn't hear any drone, even around the 2200 RPM range where I could detect a slight resonance before. When I drop it down a couple gears with the paddles, the auto-rev matching sounds cool and when I punch it, the sound in the cabin is really sweet. I like it. More testing to do but my first impression is positive and I don't see any reason to take them off.

I have some dB readings with just the CBE and if I can get a break in the weather, I'll get some more readings and post the numbers. So far though, these get the Avedis seal of approval.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Alright. HKS LDPs are installed. Cost me $180 for 2 hrs labor. I didn't get to really push it much as it has been raining every day here since Xmas but after a brief drive, here are my initial observations:

When starting the car it sounds slightly louder then it did with just the FI resonated CBE until the electronic waste gates closed and then it was no different than before. Cruising at a steady speed, I detected no difference in the cabin and didn't hear any drone, even around the 2200 RPM range where I could detect a slight resonance before. When I drop it down a couple gears with the paddles, the auto-rev matching sounds cool and when I punch it, the sound in the cabin is really sweet. I like it. More testing to do but my first impression is positive and I don't see any reason to take them off.

I have some dB readings with just the CBE and if I can get a break in the weather, I'll get some more readings and post the numbers. So far though, these get the Avedis seal of approval.
I'm glad that things worked out, enjoy.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

Looking forward to your thoughts on performance impact if any based on what your butt dyno is telling you.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Great to hear, thanks for sharing Ave!

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Neither of you have any photos of the install?
I asked if I could watch the installation but they don't allow customers in the shop for insurance purposes, so no pictures from me.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Neither of you have any photos of the install?
I have not installed mine yet so I could easily take some pics when I do, if you'd like. But my job will be super easy - going from aftermarket MR to aftermarket HKS - no prob. It's taking off the OEM LDPs that's more of a chore (but, even then, not bad).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was looking at purchasing the MR LDP, but I am concerned that it may be too loud. I do not mind a little extra noise when accelerating. But I do not want too much drone when I am cruising/idle. Anyone have just the MR LDP with stock exhaust? I was also considering replacing the Y-Pipe, not sure if this would change the sound. I could go with the HKS, but the MR LDP's are considerably cheaper.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I was looking at purchasing the MR LDP, but I am concerned that it may be too loud. I do not mind a little extra noise when accelerating. But I do not want too much drone when I am cruising/idle. Anyone have just the MR LDP with stock exhaust? I was also considering replacing the Y-Pipe, not sure if this would change the sound. I could go with the HKS, but the MR LDP's are considerably cheaper.
I had the MR LDPs with stock exhaust for about 6 months. Absolutely no change in sound. Didn't quite feel a noticeable difference on the butt dyno though like I do with LDPs + catback.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
This can hardly be classified as a scientific experiment as I only did a single test without the LDPs and then with them. I placed the iPhone 4 feet from the exhaust tips, centered between the tips and at the same height with the mic pointed at the car.

Starting up the car (42 degrees outside) with the electronic waste gates open:

CBE only - 102 dB C
CBE + LDPs - 107 dB C

After the waste gates close:

CBE only - 92 dB C
CBE+LDPs - 94 dB C

Not much of a difference as the minimum change in dBs that the human ear can typically distinguish between is 3 dB. So the data backs my subjective opinion that the sound level at idle after the waste gates close is about the same after LDP installation.

I'll do a sound level measurement comparison running the engine up to 5000 RPM when I get chance today since I was able to do so with only the CBE. The good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, anyway.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts