Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ode to the 4th gen Maxima youtube video is 9 years old but a friend just pointed it out to me the other day. My Maxima is in there. You see it for the first time at 2:08 (through 2:25). :)

·
Premium Member
2016 Q50 Red Sport AWD. Fully loaded. Stock (for now..)
76 Posts
Im on Maxima.org also. I had a white 2002 SE 6-speed. Im from the DC MD VA area. Im friends with JayPee99, if you remember that screen name. Im on there as either Jaydubb or Jaydubb 71. Yeah I know this is a homage to the 4th gen post but... LOL! Mine had Cattman headers/exhaust, AFC, JWT Popcharger and other minor goodies. I shoulve kept this car and sold my GTP instead...

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
lookie like a 4th gen legacy gt without the hood scoop.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I was never in the Maxima (or Altima) forms for my 02 Altima SE but I feel a kin-ship with all the Maxima owners. Hah
Here's hoping Nissan actually does something unique to the Maxima with the next refresh, make good on that 4DSC name
they've been touting.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Here's hoping Nissan actually does something unique to the Maxima with the next refresh, make good on that 4DSC name
they've been touting.
2 reasons why THIS won't happen. Nissan and their suuuuuuper smart engineers are too dumb to realize that CVT's are THRASH. thank God they spared the Infiniti cars. GX50 I had as a loaner had a CVT tho.

95% of drivers either don't want to or don't know how to drive a stick. Hence the reason stick cars are vanishing. Well... Have VANISHED. SMH.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
2 reasons why THIS won't happen. Nissan and their suuuuuuper smart engineers are too dumb to realize that CVT's are THRASH. thank God they spared the Infiniti cars. GX50 I had as a loaner had a CVT tho.

95% of drivers either don't want to or don't know how to drive a stick. Hence the reason stick cars are vanishing. Well... Have VANISHED. SMH.

Why do you think at least every other day I hop into my G35, get it up to speed and start opening her up?

At work, we are assigned groups A, B, C, and D. Each group takes turns going into the office for an entire week. This is all public information.

For the week I had to go in, I drove the G35 every single day. It is supercharged. It burns oil. It is a hoot.

Before all this, most of my cars were manual.

If I am going to enjoy my drive, it has to be a manual. Sorry, DCT won't cut it either.

If I had a GTR, I would still itch for a manual. I'd have to have 2 cars like now.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts

I'm not a big fan of CVT's myself but in economy cars when people aren't paying attention? Eh that's fine, it's the cost of a manual to produce
but fuel economy of a 7speed is on paper a great technology. They've also invested hundreds of millions into the technology so it's not going anywhere.

However believe it or not the engineers at Nissan are actually enthusiasts as well, they fought really hard to try and keep the transmission for the Q50/60
when designing the VR30 motor. They actually had a working manual test mule but Execs at Nissan cut it late in the design cycle.

Back on topic the reason why I want them to change the Maxima is because there is far too much over-lap with the current Altima,
the Maxima even with a CVT isn't a bad car it just doesn't make sense being the tweener for a Q50 and Altima however.

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yes you were on maxima.org weren't you
Yes sir. Same screen name. Different Avatar. You can say I am "OG". Don't go much anymore as the 4th gen sub-forum has just become a lot of "I am having problem X, how do I fix it?".

lookie like a 4th gen legacy gt without the hood scoop.

View attachment 92226
Lol. It's a Supra MKIV hood scoop.

Why do you think at least every other day I hop into my G35, get it up to speed and start opening her up?

At work, we are assigned groups A, B, C, and D. Each group takes turns going into the office for an entire week. This is all public information.

For the week I had to go in, I drove the G35 every single day. It is supercharged. It burns oil. It is a hoot.

Before all this, most of my cars were manual.

If I am going to enjoy my drive, it has to be a manual. Sorry, DCT won't cut it either.

If I had a GTR, I would still itch for a manual. I'd have to have 2 cars like now.
Dude, your G35 is SC'ed? When were you going to tell us this vital information? Get that $#!+ in your sig man! ;)

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Yes sir. Same screen name. Different Avatar. You can say I am "OG". Don't go much anymore as the 4th gen sub-forum has just become a lot of "I am having problem X, how do I fix it?".
Lord... Sounds like the G8, 3rd Gen Camaro and HP Tuners forums. Smh...

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
I spend a few minutes in a couple of the FB Q50 groups today. It reminded me of why I don't use FB. Pictures of bagged and slammed Q50's that look absolutely stupid. Most of the posters don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I don't think I'll be going back there much...if at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spend a few minutes in a couple of the FB Q50 groups today. It reminded me of why I don't use FB. Pictures of bagged and slammed Q50's that look absolutely stupid. Most of the posters don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. I don't think I'll be going back there much...if at all.
lol, I "applied" to the FB Q50 group some X weeks ago, was approved, and have yet to actually go. I leave the acceptance e-mail marked as "unread" to remind myself to (eventually) go and check it out.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Yeah I hate bagged cars, if you can't go over a speed-bump without scraping you're too dang low!
Especially here in Canada where we get upwards of 2-3 feet of snow in 24 hour periods. lol

We like our bumpers attached to our cars!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Trust me, its not the engineers making the decision to use CVT's.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Aye upper management making that call.

$6000-$8000 for a modern 8-10 speed transmission vs about $1000 for a CVT, that is absurd amounts of money saved on every sale when your company sells between 4-6 million cars per year.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Unfortunately there are no plans for the Maxima in Nissan's future. The current generation was for North American market only, but there was no place for it in the market with SUVs and crossovers being the current trend. It's a pretty car with great styling/interior (interior is better than q50/60 in it's highest trim). Even the 3.0 is a nice engine, but they hooked it up to a CVT and made it fwd. At the price point there are many better cars that know what they want to be and not some over priced under preforming malibu/fusion.

There is a problem in Nissan's upper management right now. They dont know what direction their cars should go and the finished product ends up being mish mash that falls short on almost all fronts. Being a traditionally structured Japanese company doesnt help the fact that they cant challenge their seniors on this poor direction. Hopefully the upcomong restructuring can change their philosophy and get back to what made them great in the 90s.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The reason I spend so much time on various forums is to help them stay active vs facebooks and the rest of cartel media. too much heavy handed control on FB (and youtube etc) for a few owners/employees to grind their toxic ideological axes.
Youtube even has a "clikc for WHP info about Corona" link.

I have a little bit of expertise in this subject and even back in January before WHOs antics had became public knowledge I had to go "huh" a couple o times on what came out of there.
Taiwan warned of them exactly what was happening in Wuhan all the way back in December..but they ignored them. but even weeks later for reasons no one can discern.. they were still hewing Chinas line of no-person-to-person transmission. This allowed China to buy up PPE all over the planet before anyone else knew what was coming.. as far as I am concerned the WHO has abdicated any right to be listed to.. yet youtube promotes them as an "authoritative source" (perhaps they feel leftist kinship with China?) over men like Dr Campbell

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Unfortunately there are no plans for the Maxima in Nissan's future. The current generation was for North American market only, but there was no place for it in the market with SUVs and crossovers being the current trend. It's a pretty car with great styling/interior (interior is better than q50/60 in it's highest trim). Even the 3.0 is a nice engine, but they hooked it up to a CVT and made it fwd. At the price point there are many better cars that know what they want to be and not some over priced under preforming malibu/fusion.

There is a problem in Nissan's upper management right now. They dont know what direction their cars should go and the finished product ends up being mish mash that falls short on almost all fronts. Being a traditionally structured Japanese company doesnt help the fact that they cant challenge their seniors on this poor direction. Hopefully the upcomong restructuring can change their philosophy and get back to what made them great in the 90s.

Hmmm?

The Maxima averaged about 45K cars per year over this past generation in the US alone, it does have a lot of over-lap with the Altima
but I can't see them canceling it outright. Especially when Nissan just stated they plan to focus sales on the NA and Chinese markets..
Which the Maxima also sells very-well in.

I suspect we will see it move to a larger vehicle over-all backed with a hybrid system to differentiate it
from the Altima as well as push fleet EPA numbers.

There is certinally issues with Nissan structuring and being a traditional Japanese company but looking at the new Sentra, Altima
and Versa I think the brand is headed in the right direction.

Also none of the 3.0TT engines are hooked up to a CVT or FWD for that matter....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts