Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hmmm?

The Maxima averaged about 45K cars per year over this past generation in the US alone, it does have a lot of over-lap with the Altima
but I can't see them canceling it outright. Especially when Nissan just stated they plan to focus sales on the NA and Chinese markets..
Which the Maxima also sells very-well in.

I suspect we will see it move to a larger vehicle over-all backed with a hybrid system to differentiate it
from the Altima as well as push fleet EPA numbers.

There is certinally issues with Nissan structuring and being a traditional Japanese company but looking at the new Sentra, Altima
and Versa I think the brand is headed in the right direction.

Also none of the 3.0TT engines are hooked up to a CVT or FWD for that matter....
Sorry I meant 3.5 engine, but it is just a shame that they hooked that 300hp up to a CVT.

Unfortunately the American market is all SUVs right now and even the Murano outsells the Maxima 2:1. Even the Rogue outsells the Altima now. Right now Nissan's focus is on the new Pathfinder, next gen Rogue, and new Altima.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Sorry I meant 3.5 engine, but it is just a shame that they hooked that 300hp up to a CVT.

Unfortunately the American market is all SUVs right now and even the Murano outsells the Maxima 2:1. Even the Rogue outsells the Altima now. Right now Nissan's focus is on the new Pathfinder, next gen Rogue, and new Altima.
Gotcha, the CVT isn't bad paired with the 3.5L motor but it's a motor worthy of a proper transmission or at least to still offer a manual option for those who loved the SE-R versions of old.

As for sales you have a point SUV's dominate the market in NA however that doesn't mean Car sales are bad by any means, the Altima and Sentra alone account for nearly 500K car
sales for the company and the Maxima still sells very well for it's price point and dropping it from the lineup means that Nissan has looses one of it's few up-market vehicles that can offset R&D/Production cost of those nicer materials.

Besides Nissan popularized the Cross-over segment by taking capable a performance sedan (G35) and raising it up, in my mind they are shooting
themselves in the foot if they give up on one of it's most capable sedans.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts