Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't care who makes them, but they have to be 100% secure. I wouldn't want one that had a hidden malicious component, that could be lethal, or just a means to gather personal data for someone else's enrichment.

That means license, sale and control through Infiniti only.

Presently, any car can be taken over remotely.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I'm sure it is just a matter of time. I know at least one user here who works at Cisco wants to try it out. I'd say stay tuned.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not without a firewall.

No way. Not without a firewall that protects the vehicle systems from outside apps running in the inTouch environment.

That's why I ditched Android for Apple. Android does a lousy job off vetting apps that are offered through their store.

I don't know if it's true or not but, my salesman told me that Apple compatibility isn't fully there because Apple has been a lot more cautious releasing information to Infiniti about integrating their devices to the car.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for sounding stupid but I'm curious about what this thread is referencing but I'm a bit dense on the subject. Would anyone mind posting a quick primer for those of us less educated on home rew (i.e. Stupid) and how it would relate to what the OP is trying to do in regard to the Q50?

I did a Wikipedia search already and didn't see anything that looked like it remotely made sense in this context.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
The OP is referring to applications that are released for the Q50 that do not come from Infiniti. These could be apps from companies like Facebook (3rd party) or from developers that are not affiliated with any company (homebrew).

Please let's not turn this into an Apple vs. Android thread. Apple and Google are at two different ends of the spectrum when it comes to their products. Apple is firmly in the proprietary camp while Google tries to be as open source as possible. Both have their pros and cons but neither is inherently better or worse than the other. If you want your electronics manufacturer to protect you from all the malicious folks out there, Apple is the company for you. If you feel you can exercise due caution and protect yourself, Android offers a lot of flexibility

When it comes to apps for my car, I am okay with 3rd party apps as long as Infiniti's app garage does an effective job of sandboxing any apps that are added to the car. This keeps them from affecting the function of other apps or the car itself. Apple does this with iOS and it works quite well.

Reactions: kosh2248 and jkay

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Thanks for that info!

·
Registered
140 Posts
The OP is referring to applications that are released for the Q50 that do not come from Infiniti. These could be apps from companies like Facebook (3rd party) or from developers that are not affiliated with any company (homebrew).

Please let's not turn this into an Apple vs. Android thread. Apple and Google are at two different ends of the spectrum when it comes to their products. Apple is firmly in the proprietary camp while Google tries to be as open source as possible. Both have their pros and cons but neither is inherently better or worse than the other. If you want your electronics manufacturer to protect you from all the malicious folks out there, Apple is the company for you. If you feel you can exercise due caution and protect yourself, Android offers a lot of flexibility

When it comes to apps for my car, I am okay with 3rd party apps as long as Infiniti's app garage does an effective job of sandboxing any apps that are added to the car. This keeps them from affecting the function of other apps or the car itself. Apple does this with iOS and it works quite well.
Exactly where I'm at on the subject.

I started with Android and didn't care to invest the time in protecting myself. I work in IT, deal with issues all day long and didn't want to bleed it further into my outside work life. If you like Android that's your prerogative. Android's potential vulnerabilities are well documented. Apple has it's weaknesses too. I'm just more comfortable with theirs.

My basic concern, regardless of Apple or Android, is that we aren't talking about a personal device where the consequences of malware are relatively minor. We're talking about a 4000 lb vehicle with potential to wreak major havoc if things go wrong. Consider the problems that have been shared on this board resulting from buggy code. Now, introduce true malware into the mix and look at the potential. I'm fairly certain Infiniti has considered this and will take steps to prevent it from happening. But what about people who have rooted or jailbreaked a phone? That allows bypassing all safeguards. So, back to my original point, Infiniti, I would hope, has installed some sort of safeguards to isolate the vehicle operational systems from attack coming from the inTouch environment.
The people that worry me are the ones that think they should have the right to load anything they want into the car system and will work really hard to bypass all the protections to get their way. I saw plenty of that 10 years ago with the Acura TL Navi system. For quite a few people, it was like a personal challenge to hack and alter it. And Navi was not nearly as sophisticated as inTouch.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Exactly where I'm at on the subject.

I started with Android and didn't care to invest the time in protecting myself. I work in IT, deal with issues all day long and didn't want to bleed it further into my outside work life. If you like Android that's your prerogative. Android's potential vulnerabilities are well documented. Apple has it's weaknesses too. I'm just more comfortable with theirs.

My basic concern, regardless of Apple or Android, is that we aren't talking about a personal device where the consequences of malware are relatively minor. We're talking about a 4000 lb vehicle with potential to wreak major havoc if things go wrong. Consider the problems that have been shared on this board resulting from buggy code. Now, introduce true malware into the mix and look at the potential. I'm fairly certain Infiniti has considered this and will take steps to prevent it from happening. But what about people who have rooted or jailbreaked a phone? That allows bypassing all safeguards. So, back to my original point, Infiniti, I would hope, has installed some sort of safeguards to isolate the vehicle operational systems from attack coming from the inTouch environment.
The people that worry me are the ones that think they should have the right to load anything they want into the car system and will work really hard to bypass all the protections to get their way. I saw plenty of that 10 years ago with the Acura TL Navi system. For quite a few people, it was like a personal challenge to hack and alter it. And Navi was not nearly as sophisticated as inTouch.
I don't know the veracity/accuracy of these articles (Internet is a poor source), but they are interesting, if not alarming. There are many more out there, on this subject.

$25 gadget lets hackers seize control of a car - tech - 17 July 2013 - New Scientist

Will Hackers Take Control of Your Car?

Car Hackers Use Laptops to Control Steering and Brakes (VIDEO) : Auto News : Auto World News

·
Registered
140 Posts
First time for everything.

If anyone knows differently, correct me. But, I believe, this is the first vehicle that will allow downloading and installing apps into the system.

When Gates and Jobs introduced their first systems they weren't even thinking in terms of viruses and malware but here we are today. My point being, there's no history with a vehicle system open to user downloading. It isn't a stretch to think things will happen or result that weren't anticipated. Nobody can foresee every possibility.

I can just imagine some bright kid getting even with a parent for some imagined slight by uploading a little "surprise" to inTouch unless things are locked down very tightly. That's the downside of open source. While it allows a lot of people to contribute it also opens up a lot of exposures.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Android in Q50 is just a platform for 3rd party apps. It's not connected to real time systems of the car and doesn't affect safety even if InTouch crashes or become frozen. I just returned from 8 days/2270 miles trip and had all sort of issues with InTouch and NAV systems. Luckily it never gave me impression that safety has been compromised.
Literally 0 complains regarding car itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.