Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,

I am very interested in the new Infiniti Q50. This one currently stands on top of the list for my next car. I'm currently leasing Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2011, 3.8 GT and I live in Minnesota. I know its a bad choice for Minnesota's weather. But with winter tires, it helps a bit. Coming to the point, my lease is ending soon and I am thinking of getting the Q50S AWD with Nav, Deluxe and Tech packages. I had a test drive and I liked it. I am a little skeptical about the DAS and InTouch systems after reading all the reviews. I really like the car but the online reviews and your comments are making me think that I am making a mistake. So, please give your honest opinion. Would you recommend me to buy the car?

Regards,
Krishna

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have a hybrid sport AWD, and would buy another in a heartbeat. No problems that weren't fixed by the Intouch update, last November. Mine did get the DAS recall, but I have observed no differences.

This is an excellent highway cruiser, as my last round-trip to Dallas can attest.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My first thought is "what's your 2nd choice" to see how that impacts my decision, but I've been more than happy with my Q50S AWD with Nav. I honestly didn't want the other packages and didn't want to have to deal with DAS if it was a year 1 release flop.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you are worry about DAS in cold weather and you could wait, I would suggest to wait 2015 after they resolve all the major issue that they learn from Beta Tester... :D

I got non RWD DAS gasser and I regret not getting Hybrid (default DAS) now. There are certain times that I want the steering to be quick (especially cruising in highway after work and don't feel that I want to move much). I test drive both options for a while. It is just that the trunk is way too small for Hybrid.
Overall, I am happy with my purchase. I live in Cali and I got no problems at all (just needing Pandora apps soon and ability to quick text response on iphone)... smooth sailing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first thought is "what's your 2nd choice" to see how that impacts my decision, but I've been more than happy with my Q50S AWD with Nav. I honestly didn't want the other packages and didn't want to have to deal with DAS if it was a year 1 release flop.
My second choice is the Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2015.
2015 Hyundai Genesis Review | Edmunds.com
I am more intrigued with the Blind Spot Intervention, Lane departure Prevention which is part of DAS.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I think you will get along with DAS, but with some of the bugs that need to be ironed out I would personally wait for 15' model year

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
forgot to mention that since you live in Minnesota, all those tech stuff will be a bit annoying due to snow. Hopefully, Infiniti improves that or have one button to turn everythign off.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If you go with DAS make sure you get the Manufacturing date for the car you purchase.
You want a recent model so it has everything up to date.
There is some question on weather the older models have issue's with the DAS controller modules.
You'd save yourself some head-aches probably by avoiding the older manufacturing date models.

Nomrally I would say wait.. but the DAS complaint thread has seemed to die down since they launched those 4 tech bulliten / recalls.
So far it looks like it's probably cleaned up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just to be clear on the DAS recalls that "andrew" noted above. Some of the older build dates were approved by Infiniti to actually have the modules replaced, most (like mine) did not and just got one or more software updates. The so called fix in the software updates was little more than extending the timer waiting for the DAS self test to complete.

That said, I too would like to know what other cars are on your short list. This is my first Infiniti and I took a chance on it knowing it was over to top on technology and new stuff. For that reason I decided a 24 month lease was the safest option. I'm enjoying the car despite the issues I have had but if I had to do it again with what I know now I would have gone with my 2nd choice which was the Benz CLA AMG at just about the same price point as this fully loaded Q50S AWD Hybrid.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I freakin love the car in the snow and on dry pavement. FWIW, lease rates are better on nonsport than sport.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Buying a car should be like buying a house or renting an apartment.

Sure, I can say that I'm completely satisfied with my car but on the other hand, I went through extensive research and test drives before I settled on the Q50 and I never let the opinions of others be the driving force for my overall opinion of the car.

As in buying a house, you don't want someone to just tell you to buy it. You need to go out, do some comparison shopping, take a good look around and then make a final assessment.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That said, I too would like to know what other cars are on your short list. This is my first Infiniti and I took a chance on it knowing it was over to top on technology and new stuff. For that reason I decided a 24 month lease was the safest option. I'm enjoying the car despite the issues I have had but if I had to do it again with what I know now I would have gone with my 2nd choice which was the Benz CLA AMG at just about the same price point as this fully loaded Q50S AWD Hybrid.
Isn't CLA 45 front wheel drive? Have you tested drive it?
I know it is the fasted 4 cylinders in the market now but I am just curious having that much of power on the front wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I know it is the fasted 4 cylinders in the market now but I am just curious having that much of power on the front wheels.
I thought the CLA 45 was AMG and only the FWD was in the CLA 250.

FWD cars these days have drastically been improved these days. They've all got these advanced suspension systems being shared now where torque steer is pretty much completely eliminated.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Buy the sport, not the non-sport. if you can't afford the sport get the G37x instead. It is the same price as the non-sport Q50.

I am going to write something tonight on sport vs. non-sport.

The sport is exponentially better than non-sport, from comfort to ride. After driving a non-sport loaner for a few days, you couldn't pay me to spend that money. I'd take a G37x over it. The q50s is just about the best thing that has happened to me in 30 years. Gasser, AWD, Sport with NAV (no tech package etc.). It is such a fantastic car. non-sport.....not so much.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Q50 Sport RWD owner here, i absolutely love it

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Buy the sport, not the non-sport. if you can't afford the sport get the G37x instead. It is the same price as the non-sport Q50.

I am going to write something tonight on sport vs. non-sport.

The sport is exponentially better than non-sport, from comfort to ride. After driving a non-sport loaner for a few days, you couldn't pay me to spend that money. I'd take a G37x over it. The q50s is just about the best thing that has happened to me in 30 years. Gasser, AWD, Sport with NAV (no tech package etc.). It is such a fantastic car. non-sport.....not so much.
I just had to respond to this. I have the non-sport hybrid, so it has the sport suspension. I'd like to know why you say the "comfort and ride" of the sport is superior. You may find that the sport seats are more comfortable for you, but I am very happy with the seats in my car. As far as ride is concerned, the sport suspension is a compromise to me. Yes, the handling is better, as it should be, but the ride comfort is not. The RFTs made the ride worse, and I am so glad I got rid of them. However, you still feel every bump much more with the sport suspension. I wouldn't want the cushy ride of a Lincoln Town Car(;)), but the sport suspension is a little too harsh for my liking. I wouldn't want to give up the handling of the sport suspension, but I wouldn't have minded if it had been tweaked a little to make it a little less harsh. As Simpson said, each person must TRY the variations out, to see which is better for him/her.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The CLA45 AMG that I was contemplating when I ended up with this Q50 was the AWD version and yes I did drive it. Overall I felt the car was a little dated especially the interior and I really hate that Nav screen, it looks like an afterthought. Even with the AMG styling package the car looks a little dated to me where the Q50 is new and fresh. That said the build quality of the CLA is far better than the Q in every way. Better materials inside, less cheap feeling plastic parts, just has a much higher quality feel to me. Power wise I think the Q50 Hybrid wins hands down with much more torque so it just pulls harder. The CLA's 4 banger is a nice motor but it fells like a powerful turbo charged four banger if you know what I mean. All those thoughts coupled with my love of new technology made me decide to go with the Q but after all the BS with the DAS system I have had to go through and the missing or buggy technology I have clearly come to the decision that I made the wrong choice. I attempted to have Infiniti buy my car back but they flat out refused so I'm going to get through the next 21 months of this lease and see what my thoughts are at that point.

Reactions: jlw

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Rich, it's probably because you leave all those a-hole messages on Facebook.
If I were infiniti I wouldn't work with you at all. ;)
You pretty much look like an idiotic troll on facebook.

To the op.. ye still no DAS failure posts.
Probably just keep an eye on the forum.
But every day that goes by without people bitching about DAS failures is a good sign it's been fixed.

Where my relatives live in Wisconsin it's 3 degrees right now at 1PM.
So it's butt ass cold out there in the mid-west (and Canada).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The CLA45 AMG that I was contemplating when I ended up with this Q50 was the AWD version and yes I did drive it. Overall I felt the car was a little dated especially the interior and I really hate that Nav screen, it looks like an afterthought. Even with the AMG styling package the car looks a little dated to me where the Q50 is new and fresh. That said the build quality of the CLA is far better than the Q in every way. Better materials inside, less cheap feeling plastic parts, just has a much higher quality feel to me. Power wise I think the Q50 Hybrid wins hands down with much more torque so it just pulls harder. The CLA's 4 banger is a nice motor but it fells like a powerful turbo charged four banger if you know what I mean. All those thoughts coupled with my love of new technology made me decide to go with the Q but after all the BS with the DAS system I have had to go through and the missing or buggy technology I have clearly come to the decision that I made the wrong choice. I attempted to have Infiniti buy my car back but they flat out refused so I'm going to get through the next 21 months of this lease and see what my thoughts are at that point.
After spending time last night on CLA 45, it is FWD actually. In order to counter the too much power on the front wheel and tire slips, CLA transfered 50% of power to the rear and it became all where drive.
I would not agree with you on the pricing though. CLA could easily end up 60K because their standards are very basic. No sunroof, backup camera, and for sure I need to upgrade the interior also. Also, long term costs is also higher. Have you owned Merc before? My cousin got CL63 AMG before and she paid a lot of money after 3 years owning it just for fixing something ridiculous. For example, the power seat stop working and it drained the battery every morning. We towed the car to dealer. Just to fix those, she spent like $1500. Money is not a problem for her but I think it was the hassle and I think it is not making sense for a 3 year car. Also, check the resale value. I agree that they build a good car but just the long term cost is just crazy. If you are loaded like her... I guess you won't complaint.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.