Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Somehow after opening my hood I now have a substantial gap on the passenger side where the hood meets the front quarter panel. Nothing has ever been stuck in between this area. How is this possible? It appears that the hood is bent. Never been in an accident either. Any quick fix?

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,509 Posts
Have you already checked the hood mounts?

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,706 Posts
Recent purchase of a used car and you just never noticed it until now?

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you already checked the hood mounts?
Not too sure what to look for. They’ve never been touched before so not sure how they could’ve been adjusted. I was hoping there were adjustable mounts on the back of the hood but they’re only on the front (the black pegs that adjusts the hood higher/lower).

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,509 Posts
That I was hoping too. Are the front pegs okay? Especially left?

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,706 Posts
Has anyone else been under the hood?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Looks like someone closed the hood with a tool still under there. Who opened and closed the hood last?

Reactions: BlueZ

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
One other thing you might check: the hood strut on that side - when you lower the hood does the strut fully collapse or does it "lock up" at some point? You could unbolt one end and check the strut for correct operation, and even lower the hood to see if it lines up better with the strut disconnected. Hope you get it worked out.

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts
Didn't someone else here have a similar problem or was it the trunk lid that was closed on something and it bent the hinge?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I had an issue like that with my old G35. There was an issue with those cars where the hinge bracket on the hood was a bit too flimsy. If the hinge wasn't operating freely the bracket would flex or bind a bit causing a gap like that.

Drove me nuts for a while. Then I decided to shoot the hinge area of both sides of the hood with some silicon spray and it actually solved the problem. Hinge moved smoothly and freely and the bracket didn't bind and flex anymore!

I figured that out by watching the hing area as a slowly raised and lowered the hood and found that the bracket was flexing.

Reactions: Wheels43

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had an issue like that with my old G35. There was an issue with those cars where the hinge bracket on the hood was a bit too flimsy. If the hinge wasn't operating freely the bracket would flex or bind a bit causing a gap like that.

Drove me nuts for a while. Then I decided to shoot the hinge area of both sides of the hood with some silicon spray and it actually solved the problem. Hinge moved smoothly and freely and the bracket didn't bind and flex anymore!

I figured that out by watching the hing area as a slowly raised and lowered the hood and found that the bracket was flexing.
Thanks for the insight. I’ll take a look once it stops raining here and try to figure it out. Just blows my mind at how bad it is. I’ve only opened the hood to use my electric scissor jack, detailing and changing the oil. Never have placed an object or tool there except my battery cover and that obviously goes back on after every inspection/use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have this same issue on my 2014 Q50. Driver Side. Never been in an accident. No trauma to that area that I can recall and yet I have a very noticeable and growing gap on the driver side near the windshield. I suspect it could be the strut not collapsing, but not sure. Did anyone ever resolve their issue with this?

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
I have this same issue on my 2014 Q50. Driver Side. Never been in an accident. No trauma to that area that I can recall and yet I have a very noticeable and growing gap on the driver side near the windshield. I suspect it could be the strut not collapsing, but not sure. Did anyone ever resolve their issue with this?
More likely vibrations have loosed the bolts and the hood-alignment shifted, which would also explain why it is shifting over-time.

If you're strut wasn't working correctly your wheel/tires would be trashed and there would be all sorts of driving issues....

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts
More likely vibrations have loosed the bolts and the hood-alignment shifted, which would also explain why it is shifting over-time.

If you're strut wasn't working correctly your wheel/tires would be trashed and there would be all sorts of driving issues....
I think he's referring to the hood strut that holds the hood up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
mine is almost exactly like that. no accidents. nothing under when shut but big ass gap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts