Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car in to the dealer because one of my hood shocks was leaking. After checking out other ones on the lot, I found 3 others with leaky shocks. I would encourage everyone to check their shocks for this issue. If they leak then take it in for service.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll ask our service techs to look for the problem. Infiniti is great about quickly fixing things like that But even so, it's a bummer if you have to make an extra, uninvited service appointment for your new car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I'll ask the service department to look at that this morning. I checked last night, and one of the shocks did have a little oil on it. I assume that's what you're referring to.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It is not uncommon to have a trace of oil from new seals.

Has anyone noticed the hood starting to fall or not opening fully?

A quick story,
In my DD (05 Mazda 6 sport) I replaced the awful OE struts with Koni adjustables the day after I bought the car and within two days I noticed oil on the shafts. I took detailed photos and described my issue to Koni and they told me that some was normal. Fast forward almost 4 years and about 50K and they have not failed yet or become noisy (typical concern associated with leaking struts of any type).

I'm not that this is the case here but it may not be a massive recall issue.

-To someone not planning on a dealer trip just for a hint of oil, try wiping them down and inspecting it again at the next fill up...or after a week or so.

Reactions: NTOwens

·
Registered
13 Posts
Found this out the second day I owned the car (23AUG13). It was leaking all over the place. It stop eventually but I estimated loss of a teaspoon of oil. Took it in to the dealership for then to look at and corporate sent a engineer down to look at it since I was the first one to report it. Took them 3 weeks to get me new ones but now they don't leak. Wished they at least clean the residual oil but the techs where lazzy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Found this out the second day I owned the car (23AUG13). It was leaking all over the place. It stop eventually but I estimated loss of a teaspoon of oil. Took it in to the dealership for then to look at and corporate sent a engineer down to look at it since I was the first one to report it. Took them 3 weeks to get me new ones but now they don't leak. Wished they at least clean the residual oil but the techs where lazzy.
Did it manage to leak onto any painted surfaces? I would be concerned about that if it did. I know sometimes these liquids can be harsh on paints.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did it manage to leak onto any painted surfaces? I would be concerned about that if it did. I know sometimes these liquids can be harsh on paints.

Nope only manage to leak on the plastic parts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It leaked onto the plastic are below the shock and was more than I was comfortable with. After all, it's a brand new car where this shouldn't even be an issue. It's all good the dealer was very quick to handle it. Thanks for all the feedback. M

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
My car's hood shocks had about a drop of dried oil at the seal. Will keep an eye on it, but not concerned right now.
FYI: Hood Shock Leak update:
Today my dealer/service adviser told me that I should check the hood shocks on my Q50 for the leaks as they have ordered a bunch for replacement as these hood shocks (made in China) have been reported to leak.
Infiniti has switched to a German manufacturer for future and replacements hood shocks. I'll be checking the hood shocks when my better half gets home with the Q50.

Will let you all know, what I find,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Took my car in to the dealer because one of my hood shocks was leaking. After checking out other ones on the lot, I found 3 others with leaky shocks. I would encourage everyone to check their shocks for this issue. If they leak then take it in for service.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Today my dealer/service adviser told me that I should check the hood shocks on my Q50 for the leaks as they have ordered a bunch for replacement as these hood shocks (made in China) have been reported to leak.
Infiniti has switched to a German manufacturer for future and replacements hood shocks. I'll be checking the hood shocks when my better half gets home with the Q50.

No leak, all is well.:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

It figures... cheap sh!t made in china... what was Infinity thinking!

·
Registered
42 Posts

How is this possible? When I purchased my sport hybrid, a sticker on the windshield said parts 100% Japan?!?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I found both of them leaking (sticky oily spots under shocks) when I purchased my car. Dealer will replace both of them. First I've thought it might be just a grease from the shaft left when manufactured and it might melt out when the car sits on the lot for days. But either way there should be no traces of oil on the plastic when you are buying a new car. Period. BTW it didn't affect the functionality of the hood, it was just plain ugly.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
How is this possible? When I purchased my sport hybrid, a sticker on the windshield said parts 100% Japan?!?
100% doesn't mean 100% for manufacturing, as long as the total value is more than X% (varies from country to country), it's like all the American cars...they are never 100% American.;)

I found both of them leaking (sticky oily spots under shocks) when I purchased my car. Dealer will replace both of them. First I've thought it might be just a grease from the shaft left when manufactured and it might melt out when the car sits on the lot for days. But either way there should be no traces of oil on the plastic when you are buying a new car. Period. BTW it didn't affect the functionality of the hood, it was just plain ugly.
yup:cool:...

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,871 Posts
Hi all
I noticed that the hood doesn't open fully. I have to push it up to open all the way.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Not me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.