Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So cold that the moisture in the exhaust vapor was freezing onto the rear bumper. I know that's not a tundra shattering experience (especially to our Canadian friends), but it was to me.

I didn't really have to, but I was looking for a reason to take the Q50 out. Last evening it was about 12F in my area, and I needed to take a couple of small drives. Naturally, I was concerned about the DAS. I let the car warmup fully, and used accessories normally. Drove about 15 miles, with two stops. Checked out the USB flash operation, enjoyed the music. All went well. The box of tissues, on the back seat, doesn't slide so much since I applied a friction modifier (small towel) to the seat.

I really do wish we had a Volt/Amp page on the message center, to monitor the battery.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've had no problems with my Q50s (tech/touring/nav) ever, including the past few days when temps have been as low as -9F on morning drives. Yesterday, car started without a glich after sitting outside all day (high for the day was 3F, it was 2F when I started it in the evening) - I drove off before the aps were fully loaded though looking back perhaps I should have let it idle a bit to let the oil warm up as it was most likely thick in consistency at that temperature. In any regards, everything went fine, and thank goodness for the heated steering wheel / seats!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had no problems with my Q50s (tech/touring/nav) ever, including the past few days when temps have been as low as -9F on morning drives. Yesterday, car started without a glich after sitting outside all day (high for the day was 3F, it was 2F when I started it in the evening) - I drove off before the aps were fully loaded though looking back perhaps I should have let it idle a bit to let the oil warm up as it was most likely thick in consistency at that temperature. In any regards, everything went fine, and thank goodness for the heated steering wheel / seats!
Glad to hear it works well for you in such bitter cold weather! Very encouraging to see this among all the problem-reporting ones.

Quick question, for heated steering wheel, do you use "automatic" setting or manually turn it on every time you drive? I set it on automatic but didn't feel the warmth several min after car started running, so I had to manually press it and turn it on every time..

Was it because my garage temp was not cold enough to initiate it? (It was in low 40s). When would it b triggered to initiate?

Thx. Stay warm! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
Heated steering wheel

Glad to hear it works well for you in such bitter cold weather! Very encouraging to see this among all the problem-reporting ones.

Quick question, for heated steering wheel, do you use "automatic" setting or manually turn it on every time you drive? I set it on automatic but didn't feel the warmth several min after car started running, so I had to manually press it and turn it on every time..

Was it because my garage temp was not cold enough to initiate it? (It was in low 40s). When would it b triggered to initiate?

Thx. Stay warm! :)

From my experience your garage will not be cold enough to initiate the automatic wheel heater. I've noticed that the annoying popup of low temperature outside seems to be the baseline when the "Auto" steering wheel heater seems to kick on by itself.

Reactions: tt_45

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
From my experience your garage will not be cold enough to initiate the automatic wheel heater. I've noticed that the annoying popup of low temperature outside seems to be the baseline when the "Auto" steering wheel heater seems to kick on by itself.
You do know that you can get that "annoying popup" set to not pop up at all, don't you?

·
Registered
396 Posts
You do know that you can get that "annoying popup" set to not pop up at all, don't you?
Good point! Although I have been just pressing the "folder" icon on steeling wheel to get rid of it (each time), .. now that you mentioned, I remember I should b able to change the alarm setting to turn this annoying thing off, right? :) thx.

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Good point! Although I have been just pressing the "folder" icon on steeling wheel to get rid of it (each time), .. now that you mentioned, I remember I should b able to change the alarm setting to turn this annoying thing off, right? :) thx.

Correct, uncheck it in the alarm setting, and that should turn it off.

Reactions: cvipgo and tt_45

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I live 5 miles from Manhattan and I am very excited about this weekend through the following work week. Why? Because our temperatures are going to moderate back to where they've been all along- at least 10 degrees F above average. Yes, it's probably bad for the environment/climate to wish for such things, but I hate the cold and this polar vortex has frozen my muscles and ligaments to the point of pain (I'm only 33:eek:). We had a 72-degree day three days before Christmas, and after a couple cold days, it was back up in the 40s, only dipping below freezing during the day for that nor'easter last week. It was in the 50s on Monday, then we had a 24-hour spell of single-digit temps yesterday, followed by a quick ascent into the upper 20s today. I honestly would have preferred cooler average temps with more moderate swings than this, like it was when I was a little kid (January was typically high in the low 30s, lows around 20 type weather). The rest of the week:

Thu: 33/23, Fri: 41/35, Sat: 57/44, Sun: 47/31, Mon: 49/33, Tue: 49/37, Wed: 42/27

As a sun-and-palm-tree type of personality, I can't complain with these almost northern California-esque winter temperatures. :D

Speaking of which, I wonder if palm trees will survive in NJ by 2030? We might get there. ;)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Re: Heated steering wheel - I thought the auto setting wasn't working a few weeks ago, when the lows in the morning were in the 40's, and the garage temperature was I the 50's. I garage my car, and it wouldn't heat. Since the outside temperature has dropped, the steering wheel immediately heats up. I put a temperature gauge in the garage, on top of the car. With a space heater going 24 hours(I was afraid of having an exposed pipe freezing in the 5 degree weather), the temperature dropped to 50 on top of the car. The temperature on the space heater(it has a thermostat) dropped to as low as 39 degrees. The heater was next to the car, but blowing away from it, towards the wall. Bottom line - the steering wheel heated automatically when the temperature in the garage is below 45 degrees.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here in San Diego, I had to turn my sprinklers on because the vegetation in my yard is confused and thinks it's spring. The grass is thirsty and the flowers are in bloom.

I grew up in Maryland and lived in Dallas as well, so I have earned a partial set of weather wings.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Here in San Diego, I had to turn my sprinklers on because the vegetation in my yard is confused and thinks it's spring. The grass is thirsty and the flowers are in bloom.

I grew up in Maryland and lived in Dallas as well, so I have earned a partial set of weather wings.
Gee, thanks for the input. You sound like my brother, who lives in the L.A. area. He told me couple of days ago that he just finished a round of golf in his shorts.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gee, thanks for the input. You sound like my brother, who lives in the L.A. area. He told mea couple of days ago that he just finished a round of gold in his shorts.:rolleyes:
Gold in his shorts? Only in America!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's been nuts. It's always nicer here during the winter as compared to the rest of the country, but this last month has been nuts. Even the birds are confused. To take it a step further, the Chargers are in the playoffs and even won a game. Global Warming?

·
Registered
250 Posts
It was low of about -15F here in Detroit on Tuesday, with wind chill around -30F. I don't want to hear anyone from Texas/Maryland complain. Just like our friends up north don't want to hear me b*tch about getting 10 inches of snow over the weekend...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I believe Toledo hit -35 with the **** wind chill.... Brrrr, AND to top it off, my business trip to Tampa was changed to MINNESOTA,where it's been -10 most of the **** week!:mad:

·
Registered
187 Posts
The wind chill was about -12

Reactions: SimpsonTide985

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think our vehicle outside temperature gauge is limited to -5F. The weather app on my phone showed -15F but my car was constantly at -5F.

Actually I was booked to go to CES in Las Vegas this week, but my trip was cancelled last week due to other conflicts. My entire office is out in Vegas, while I'm stuck here in the sh-t.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.