Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been several car thefts in my area recently, which made me wonder how hard it would be for someone to steal my car.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
530 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
The thing about theft prevention is always about making things harder for that person to steal, if they really want to steal something they will get it.

Thankfully most car thefts (at least here in Canada) happen because people leave their car doors unlocked, their car even running and unattended, have valuables clearly
displayed inside the car etc. Avoid those things and park your car inside the garage if you have one and you should be okay.

You could get a window sticker saying this car is tracked a GPS module to dissuaded theft, or snag a steering wheel lock or something similar but those are tedious to take on and off.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I woke up to my car on milk crates about 7 years ago. I was remarking to the police how I even had wheel locks etc.

They laughed and said it adds 15secs max to someone who knows how to use YouTube and watched a tutorial or two.

Bottom line is as others stated - almost all theft prevention or detection provides a sense of security, albeit mostly a false sense. Park in your personal garage or near well lit areas, or along a busy street where a theft is less likely to occur... but at the end of the day, if they want it they’ll get it.

Just keep your insurance up to date and don’t stress about something (or waste money on something) you truly can’t control fully.

Wheel locks are the same price as my deductible.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Aww that sucks to hear about to wheels getting pinched, but hey at least they left it on milk crates and clear off the ground? lol

On a side note screw those cops, good information and all but come on don't laugh at a man who just had 2-3K worth of wheels
stolen off his car.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
There have been several car thefts in my area recently, which made me wonder how hard it would be for someone to steal my car.
what's your address?

·
Registered
50 Posts
It will take 3 minutes if they have a proper tool, $500 on ebay and a blank keyfob of $60. Open a door, disable alarm sound, connect the tool to OBD port, program a key, drive.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just saw something on the news yesterday about two people stealing a Mercedes using the radio frequency from the key fob. One person ran a device along the exterior wall of a house until it picked up the signal, which relayed it to another device held by someone standing next to the car. It unlocked, they turned it on and drove off.

So yep, if someone wants something bad enough then they're gonna get it.

Edit: Here's the link...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/27/mercedes-car-stolen-without-using-key-seconds-relay-theft/

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've had my car and my wife's Santa Fe entered into with the wireless technology a few times. They were able to simulate the key fob and unlock our doors. Luckily we never left anything in there so it was a waste of their efforts. Been waiting for them to return ever since I had my alarm system installed and bought my personal protection.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I've had my car and my wife's Santa Fe entered into with the wireless technology a few times. They were able to simulate the key fob and unlock our doors. Luckily we never left anything in there so it was a waste of their efforts. Been waiting for them to return ever since I had my alarm system installed and bought my personal protection.
Aye its effectively a man in the middle attack, I always give a good look around when I park my car and lock her up before headed to work.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Videos included

1 - 12 of 12 Posts