Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,154 Posts
thanks, yeah im on 93 octane. ill make map 6 and see how it does. i haven't had this "Surging" in the couple of years ive been running JB4 so could be bad gas. i try to only use gas from "name brand" stations but i dont think one was around the last time i filled up.
interesting 93 is typically pretty decent, possibly a bad batch. The hot weather we had recently could also have contributed. Not a ton of stock RS logs to reference to know exactly what to expect for avg ign and no one ever posts logs with that parameter either, I just know you should try to stay under 6 or turn the boost down. as adding more boost with such low timing isn't really making that much more power at that point and adding extra risk. but regardless that is still the cause of the boost "surging" is the AVG IGN changes mid map in those spots.

Get some known good gas, and now the weather has cooled off a little, give it some time to relearn and see what happens. custom map 6 is always recommended regardless though especially for RS.

Reactions: Jsbowling42

·
Registered
17 Posts
interesting 93 is typically pretty decent, possibly a bad batch. The hot weather we had recently could also have contributed. Not a ton of stock RS logs to reference to know exactly what to expect for avg ign and no one ever posts logs with that parameter either, I just know you should try to stay under 6 or turn the boost down. as adding more boost with such low timing isn't really making that much more power at that point and adding extra risk. but regardless that is still the cause of the boost "surging" is the AVG IGN changes mid map in those spots.

Get some known good gas, and now the weather has cooled off a little, give it some time to relearn and see what happens. custom map 6 is always recommended regardless though especially for RS.
will do and ill post back with an update.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My avg ign always stays between 5.5 and 7.8 even the logs I have when I first starting using JB4.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,154 Posts
My avg ign always stays between 5.5 and 7.8 even the logs I have when I first starting using JB4.
AVG IGN is learned retard, it is always learning and adapting but it can also learn and adapt quickly especially at first. 7.8 degrees of retard is quite a bit.

Curious what octane you are on?
What is ign 1 timing at peak boost and what is that boost and rpm?
What is max ign 1 timing you see, and at rpm and what boost?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
AVG IGN is learned retard, it is always learning and adapting but it can also learn and adapt quickly especially at first. 7.8 degrees of retard is quite a bit.
Where are you seeing that AVG IGN is learned knock retard? Terry hasn't posted that and he's specifically said that the stock ECU OBD2 data stream doesn't have access to knock retard.

·
Registered
191 Posts
93 Octane
Timing in 3rd gear is usually 6.5-7 at peak boost (15-16psi) @5K
Peak timing is at shift ~6400 and 13 degrees.
Avg Ign actually decreases with RPM and is lowest at peak boost (~5.5)

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,154 Posts
Where are you seeing that AVG IGN is learned knock retard? Terry hasn't posted that and he's specifically said that the stock ECU OBD2 data stream doesn't have access to knock retard.
Avg Ign: Average Ignition Retard

all over N54, I don't think it specifically states VR30s however based on the fact that it can be easily changed/manipulated to follow exactly what you would anticipate based on octane and boost it seems as though it applies to VR30s.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That’s what i was wondering. Seems like it’s the opposite? My avg ign number decreases with boost and RPM.

Reactions: Ddnspider

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Avg Ign: Average Ignition Retard

all over N54, I don't think it specifically states VR30s however based on the fact that it can be easily changed/manipulated to follow exactly what you would anticipate based on octane and boost it seems as though it applies to VR30s.
That's because Terry has stated that not all parameters are active on the VR30. I dont believe Avg Ign is functional. Using it for knock retard without verifying directly from Terry is not advisable.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,154 Posts
thanks, and nice a List of logging parameters per platform would be nice in their documentation lol
I emailed them a while ago about certain parameters and what they do/log, they refused to answer my questions and instead only provided me a link to reference.

In which it defines AVG IGN but doesn't apply to the VR30 apparently.

I had done some testing using WMI and/or Ethanol with varying and constant boost maps to test it, and it seemed to correlate with the defined definition from the link, but must have been coincidence or some other factor.

Reactions: Jsbowling42

·
Registered
2018 Luxe AWD, Stock + JB4
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I looked back at some old logs on N54 and the Avg Ign field was totally blank. More recent logs have a value that seems to peak at 7.9 or so. Have not seen any values to zero. Wondering if this field is for something else maybe unrelated. Most logs have values present into the high 7's. Also value seems to be high when not running at high load. Hope it is unrelated because it gives contradictory feedback to Ign1 field on many logs!

·
Registered
2018 Luxe AWD, Stock + JB4
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Should have hit refresh before my post...looks like it is confirmed unrelated to timing or knock.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,154 Posts
Mine is typically at 4 mid range and 3 top end with WMI and about 6-5 without WMI. but again this must have just been coincidence or something else going on who knows.

·
Registered
487 Posts
He says they plugged in some other data, why not just say what data? Its obviously a measureable variable that's scaling based on something. Like how trans_temp is for the heat exhangers. Just tell us what its measuring and let us decide if its useful.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,154 Posts
Trying to get info from them is like pulling teeth.

A few months ago i asked what certain parameters logged as i found different information on different threads/forums and things are sometimes different per vehicle, and they basically refused to answer. Just asked for a log. I provided them a log and asked again about the parameter, they said my log looked great and not to worry about anything, but wouldn’t define the parameter for me. Went back and forth like 4 times asking in different ways and they kept refusing then eventually just ignored me.
to be fair it was Ando and not Terry. But still. Can’t be that hard to give a parameter definition.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What's the worry about sharing what the parameter is? I wonder if we can manipulate that variable and that is dangerous overall.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts