Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you accelerate from a stoplight at a normal speed (such as a 40mph arterial road) how long does your car stay in EV?

My car won’t stay in EV long, even when I baby the gas pedal. Maybe 10mph? It seems like I have read where people are able to drive around mostly in EV on lower speed streets. I could be wrong. I’m not complaining, I’m just curious to know what the norm is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I can usually stay in EV mode up to 25-30MPH on a flat road. Going uphill? Forget it.

My advice is, start lightly and keep it in EV from 20-30MPH. After that the gas engine will turn on and you can bring the car up to your desired speed.

THEN, let go of the gas and the car will recede back into EV mode. You can lightly press the gas pedal while the car is in EV mode to maintain speed.

Reactions: hunter81

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
kc2dc, in normal traffic that seems about right.
In slow rush hour I can get to 20-30.

The electric motor isn't designed to get you up to cruising speed by itself under normal load.
It doesn't have enough oomph for the 4,000 pound car.

The car (at least in my case) has a bog if you can get to 20-30 in EV and then it starts the gas motor.
So now I try to make the gas motor start before hitting 20-30MPH.
I have not noticed a big downgrade in MPG by doing this.

I'll post pics tomorrow or Thursday.
I just hit 1000 miles.
Around 370 of that is in EV.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I accelerate normally, so basically gas comes on at like 10 or even less mph. Then, once I hit my cruising speed, I let almost completely off the gas and as long as there is a good charge and the engine is sufficiently warmed up, the car will go into EV mode. Then I just cruise along. You can use your charge/assist gauge to see how much you are pushing the electric motor, like if you needed to speed up a little, you can do it without causing the gas engine to come on. Driving this way, I have easily gotten 26-29 mpg in the city without freeways.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
How does the car determine when to switch from EV to gas? Is it to do with the RPM, or just how fast you are trying to accelerate?
Load on determines which engine to use. I can drive at 50-55MPH on ICC (intelligent Cruise Control) on flat road.:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.