Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

As with most new tech toys in our lives now the first few generations have some bugs. One I have seen a few times is the tendency in the Q50 is for the lower screen to freeze while driving. This locks users out of all functions for a period of time.

The good news is Infiniti is aware of it, it is on the list of items addressed in an upcoming (as of the date of this post there is no firm release date) software version update.

If this happens while driving there is a quick and painless way to reset the AV module. This process is mentioned in detail in the owners manual supplement that should be in the glove box of every new Q50...but we all know how that tends to go. :)

By simply pressing and holding the volume knob below the bottom display for ~5 seconds the system reboot will be initiated. Both screens will go black for a few seconds and the startup procedure will be initiated. From there the system should boot as normal.

I will update this thread as I learn of software version updates, and when they can be installed.

Cheers,

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I assumed was the case, the members of this forum tend to know more than most dealer staff about this car right now. I was just trying to help anyone googling for this concern.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Not exactly "painless". It resets some of the custom settings you've set up, like meter display preferences. YMMV

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not exactly "painless". It resets some of the custom settings you've set up, like meter display preferences. YMMV
...Interesting...my experience with the reboot was under ideal conditions. Could you elaborate a little more on what exactly is lost in the meter while the AV reboots. The systems are linked but are mostly independent of each other.

I'm trying to get my hands on the list of updated items hopefully these are things that will be addressed...well at least the requirement of a system reboot should be resolved soon.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
...Interesting...my experience with the reboot was under ideal conditions. Could you elaborate a little more on what exactly is lost in the meter while the AV reboots. The systems are linked but are mostly independent of each other.
If you go Setting (gear icon)->Menu Meter and Display, it has a list of items that are active and on by default, like music, fuel economy, tire pressure, etc. But things such as average speed and trip economy are not set to on by default. Most important one is chassis control, which is not on by default. Every soft reset of the InTouch turns this off again. Minor annoyance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you go Setting (gear icon)->Menu Meter and Display, it has a list of items that are active and on by default, like music, fuel economy, tire pressure, etc. But things such as average speed and trip economy are not set to on by default. Most important one is chassis control, which is not on by default. Every soft reset of the InTouch turns this off again. Minor annoyance.
Agreed. The Audio item is also not on by default (why?) and so having to reboot like this does have it's drawbacks. For me, turning off the car got the inTouch to come back to life and didn't reset my options, but if you're driving and you need the system, you probably don't have a choice.

I sure hope Infiniti fixes this in the next update.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm making the last leg of a 2500 mile road trip now (posting in route) and had lots of nav lock ups. Found that if I turned the car off and back on without sxm on, nav came back. If I left sxm on when restarting, my nav would not return.

There is still more testing I could do but wanted to pass along this find.

This particular issue sounds like it is a boot sequence issue. If sxm boots before nav then nav maps has trouble booting.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I'm making the last leg of a 2500 mile road trip now (posting in route) and had lots of nav lock ups. Found that if I turned the car off and back on without sxm on, nav came back. If I left sxm on when restarting, my nav would not return.

There is still more testing I could do but wanted to pass along this find.

This particular issue sounds like it is a boot sequence issue. If sxm boots before nav then nav maps has trouble booting.
Please post this in the InTouch lock up thread when you have time.

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/ne...-forum/6402-intouch-lockup-data-tracking.html

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you folks for posting this. I will pass this info up the food chain. At this time there is not a place for the lowly folks in the trenches to report trends without making a whole to-do about it but I will try to fill some inboxes.

That annoys me and I do not have to deal with it. As I had mentioned I have not had a car I could get into the customization aspect of the inTouch system yet, and I do not know if they know about this yet...but I assume it is like a hard reboot on a frozen smartphone (where it deletes temporary files).

In my time with this company I have seen buggy software really just tarnish some peoples impression of their new car. What I see now (and specifically djohnsons' post) is people who know the back ends of software construction describing problems within the core functionality of these new systems, in a way (that if sent to the right people) could effect change. Not that I would expect any manufacturer to start crowd sourcing software fixes...at least right now. Until they develop an error reporting tool (that doesn't drive the privacy folks nuts) the options are limited. That is something I have been loudly asking for for the last few years, I think they (all manufacturers) need to consider other sources for locating bug fixes, not just the issues that get escalated through Consumer Affairs or the technicians technical assistance hotline. Typically all I get on a service ticket is what amounts to a Tweet to describe an issue. If I can actually tell you what it is doing (and doing repetitively) we can get these bugs fixed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
.... What I see now (and specifically djohnsons' post) is people who know the back ends of software construction describing problems within the core functionality of these new systems, in a way (that if sent to the right people) could effect change. .....
Hi StevetheTech,

Tks for the kind words. Yea, I started programming in 1973 with punch cards. I am not a programmer now - don't want to be. But I have lead many software development efforts and know the game pretty well. And I have been up-close and personal with many a programmer trying to debug code. I have the gray hair to prove it. Mind you, that does not mean I am always right - just that I have been around the industry before many of the members of the forum were borne :p

As I said in another post, some bugs are easy to isolate and fix, and others are down right crazy. I have seen boot sequence issues crop up when 2 programs try to occupy the same memory locations. I have seen a huge problem solved by the placement of a semi-colon.

The complexity of these systems gets really high when you have distinct machines (computers) talking to other machines. For example, the intelligent cruise control might be a separate computer that accepts I/O (input and output) from other on-board computers like the lane control system or radar system. I don't know if this example is true (each system as a separate computer), but it would not surprise me if it were the case.

The trick to debugging code is to isolate a condition that is repeatable. I can't tell you how many times someone would report a bug that we could not duplicate. We couldn't fix problems we could not reproduce.

I remember one such problem a customer reported. We tried and tried but couldn't reproduce what the customer was observing. Turned out the problem was associated with a JavaScript conflict only when the customer had another web application open.

If I had one message for the members of this forum it would be "grace". Give the Infiniti some rope (time) to fix these issues. And when you report an issue, make sure (to the best of your capability) that your observations are repeatable. That means reporting all the other conditions that might be affecting your observations. For example, if something works when the radio is off but doesn't work when the radio is on - and this condition is repeatable, time after time, then report it. But if it a sometime issue, report it as just that - intermittent and not repeatable.

The software engineers need to know when something is repeatable and when it is not. The issues that are repeatable will be fixed first. Those that are intermittent are much harder to isolate. But over time, they too will be addressed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
European versions of the problems more

I was terribly amused when I turned the dial to move forward and the camera continued to show ass)))) until I restarted the system. I am shocked ... you're talking about serious problems in the car. an important part of your safety ... why no one sued? Surely no one returned the car deceivers infiniti? this fraud on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.