Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400 AWD
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a 2017 Infiniti Q60 and was wondering how to turn on radiator fan? I think mine is fault, I already checked the relay and it’s working so my last check is the fans themselves. Thank you

update:
  • there is continuity from the relay to the module harness, it does read correctly 14.38~
  • replaced ONE module with a new one OEM from Infiniti, no change.
  • replaced relays just in case and tested them, they’re functional.
  • the vehicle does not have A/C refrigerant because I needed to take off AC line to remove radiator support. Purchased R-134A, and tried putting some but won’t work…
  • Fans won’t turn on in auto drive diagnostic
  • Directly powered fan rotors, and they are functional.
  • All fuses aren’t blown.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2017 Infiniti Q60 and was wondering how to turn on radiator fan? I think mine is fault, I already checked the relay and it’s working so my last check is the fans themselves. Thank you
Have you checked the fuse? "T" fuse (50A) in the Fuse and Fusible Link Holder-2

If the fuse is good and you believe the cooling fan relay is good (High Output VR30 has 2 relays BTW), it could be cooling fan control module (High Output VR30 has 2 modules).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If the fuse is good and you believe the cooling fan relay is good (High Output VR30 has 2 relays BTW), it could be cooling fan control module (High Output VR30 has 2 modules).
Woah. I don't even know where to begin. Firstly, thank you very much for responding fast.

woah. I don’t even know where to begin. Firstly, thank you very much for responding fast sir,

The only fuse I checked is the one on the left hand near the windshield reservoir. I attached a couple photos, I’m not really sure where the other fuses you referred to are located.
Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Auto part

Font Motor vehicle Electric blue Vehicle Metal

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

I'd also like to add one thing: When I took off the front radiator support, I had to take off the AC line, so the car currently needs to be recharged. Does that affect the radiator fan at all?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2 of these, I think they’re the radiator fan module. Is there a way I can test them to make sure they’re operable?
Font Material property Magenta Motor vehicle Electric blue

Edit: 21493-B210B is the part number, and yes these are "Genuine Cooling Fan Control Unit Module" still wondering how to actually test them, because I am not sure which other vehicle these fits. There's not a single junkyard near me that has an Infiniti Q60, maybe a Q50... I'll triple check.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts
That part number fits all sorts of Infiniti's including your Q60 and Q50.

Font Parallel Number Document Screenshot

I don't see how you can test one. The IPDM sends a PWM signal to that module that is determined by the ECM. The module then varies the voltage to the fan motors to control speed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That part number fits all sorts of Infiniti's including your Q60 and Q50.

View attachment 111231

I don't see how you can test one. The IPDM sends a PWM signal to that module that is determined by the ECM. The module then varies the voltage to the fan motors to control speed.
My father told me that because I do not have an AC charge in my system, the radiator fans don't turn on... I am going to charge my AC and see if anything changes. Worst case scenario, I'll borrow my brother's module from his 2007 G35 and test it. Any further advice I would appreciate it, Avedis.

I'll keep this thread updated if I find a fix, so future people who have my problem can see my troubleshooting steps and resolve their problems.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To test the rad fan, you can use the built in "Auto Active Test"
From the 2017 Q60 FSM:

Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Turn the ignition switch ON, and within 20 seconds, press the driver door switch 10 times.
Then turn the ignition switch OFF.
Turn the ignition switch ON within 10 seconds.
After that the horn sounds once and the auto active test starts.

Oil pressure warning lamp starts blinking when the auto active test starts.
After a series of the following operations is repeated 3 times, auto active test is completed.

Font Parallel Rectangle Number Screenshot

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts
From the 2017 Q60 FSM:

Turn the ignition switch ON, and within 20 seconds, press the driver door switch 10 times.

After a series of the following operations is repeated 3 times, auto active test is completed.

View attachment 111237
What section of the FSM is this in?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the 2017 Q60 FSM:

View attachment 111237
Thanks for this, I did the diagnostic. Here are the results:
Everything worked fine but when it time for the cooling fan, it didn’t turn on, and instead just repeated the cycle to the wiper motor. I’m guessing it’s my module then. Thank you again you’ve been an amazing help!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE:
I have a friend who works for Infiniti, and just ordered the part(s). They charged me $75 ea. for the modules, and because I have two modules on my radiator fan that's a total of $150. However, because I am not sure 100% if its the module or the radiator fans themselves, I am only going to purchase one, and test it. If it works then I'll buy the other.

$75 is my total including everything, my friend said he only benefited $9 from this purchase lmao.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,718 Posts
UPDATE:
I have a friend who works for Infiniti, and just ordered the part(s). They charged me $75 ea. for the modules, and because I have two modules on my radiator fan that's a total of $150. However, because I am not sure 100% if its the module or the radiator fans themselves, I am only going to purchase one, and test it. If it works then I'll buy the other.

$75 is my total including everything, my friend said he only benefited $9 from this purchase lmao.
New ones can be had for $60 on eBay. Used as low as $25.

Hopefully, it's a fan control module, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the CPU in the IPDM that sends the PWM signal to those modules.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New ones can be had for $60 on eBay. Used as low as $25.

Hopefully, it's a fan control module, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the CPU in the IPDM that sends the PWM signal to those modules.
I keep thinking about this: How complicated would it be if I had this problem? Considering I know little to nothing about electricity.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
My father told me that because I do not have an AC charge in my system, the radiator fans don't turn on... I am going to charge my AC and see if anything changes. Worst case scenario, I'll borrow my brother's module from his 2007 G35 and test it. Any further advice I would appreciate it, Avedis.

I'll keep this thread updated if I find a fix, so future people who have my problem can see my troubleshooting steps and resolve their problems.
This ^^^. Always listen to dad.

Without a properly working AC system the fan will only turn on if the engine coolant reaches a critical temperature. Why else would the fan need to run?

Reactions: aakmoe
1 - 20 of 99 Posts