81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport 400 AWD
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Hehe...
Hey guys,
The dumbest thing happened: I fixed my car and everything, but I didn't put the IPDM cover back, fuse covers, etc. Because I still wanted to fx the cables and manage everything to put the fender liner... I decided it was time to clean the car because it was very very dirty, and took it to these guys near me couple of mexican kids, not an ounce of english but I speak a little spanish and I was able to convey that I needed the car detailed and stuff. They were very nice, and offered to do it. Well within a couple of hours, they bring the car back. All clean and beautiful, then as they're talking with eaechother I notice the car smoking, I quickly run to it open the hood and it turned out the car is overheating... I noticed my radiator fans weren't working. I get a towl then slowly manage the coolant, and I realized.. THEY PRESSURE WASHED MY ENTIRE ENGINE BAY HEAD ON. All my radiator fan fuses were blown, luckily my driver side fuse box still had the cover, but everything else was soaked. under the battery was still water and everything. I figured I just need new fuses for the radiator fan and looked at every vehicle's fuses at the junkyard. I ONLY found 2 working ones (50a low profile). The other 2 I paid $10~ from Advanced Auto parts for. I put all the fuses and the fans still don't work..

I added direct power to the fans and made sure they still work.
I added 20v directly to the relay sits (passenger, T box), that worked.
I checked all my fuses in the IPDM, they're all fine.
I disconnected ALL the IPDM connectors and realized that water has gotten in there.

Do you guys think my IPDM is fried? I purchased a new one for $60~ but it delivers in a week, but I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts, or maybe there are certain connections I gotta check. Keep in mind all shrouds and covers were gone (brake cover, brake fluid cover, side covers, etc.)

I know it was mainly my mistake, so I still paid them for the car, I was not about to be rude and arrogant, felt too bad.
Update:
- Replaced the IPDM, the issue persists. I made sure to verify all fuses in the IPDM are functional, and they are. The relay's are good, module is getting power and ground, and when I activate the AC, there is a third pink wire that is also on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Holy crap!
It seem like if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.
Haha, honestly right.

Update 2:
Took it to the same technician he said that my IPDM is not sending ground signals to my fan... He couldn't fix the issue.
What do I do now, I have no clue. $70 for this, $70 for IPDM, $180 for Power Probe 3, $25 for fuses (still pissed about this).

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
Haha, honestly right.

Update 2:
Took it to the same technician he said that my IPDM is not sending ground signals to my fan... He couldn't fix the issue.
What do I do now, I have no clue. $70 for this, $70 for IPDM, $180 for Power Probe 3, $25 for fuses (still pissed about this).
The IPDM sends a PWM signal (an ON/OFF pulse signal) to the cooling fan control module, which in turn sends voltage to the cooling fan motors based on the PWM signal. Don't know why the tech is saying ground signals. Is he an Infiniti tech?

Perhaps the used IPDM you bought is faulty or your ECM isn't sending a cooling fan control signal to the IPDM.

Reactions: aakmoe

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
The IPDM sends a PWM signal (an ON/OFF pulse signal) to the cooling fan control module, which in turn sends voltage to the cooling fan motors based on the PWM signal. Don't know why the tech is saying ground signals. Is he an Infiniti tech?

Perhaps the used IPDM you bought is faulty or your ECM isn't sending a cooling fan control signal to the IPDM.
No, he isn’t an infiniti tech, but he’s an automotive electrician, who fixed my 2 previous issues that’s why. There’s this pin (gray color) that’s supposed to be grounded, and when I tried to check continuity between that pin 41 on connector 121, there isn’t ground. My radiator fans are getting power and ground, and you could be right about this IPDM potentially being faulty, but what are the chances man

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·

To clarify, I think he’s saying that my IPDM isn’t grounded or something.. I’m not really sure, I don’t have the wiring diagrams to check for myself, and the ground connectors near the IPDM look prestigious without any issues. How can water pressure damage the ground? Weird… no technician I’ve taken the car to has been able to fix my problem

edit: I am also returning this IPDM I purchased too, because it didn’t fix anything. And I’m not sure how my ECM could be damaged, because if that’s damaged should I also have a crap ton of other issues… the only thing I’m getting is Radiator fans and tbh the car does seem a bit heavy like it’s not as quick or fast as it used to be.. which could be due to the heat but even when I full throttle to hear my turbos it’s as it used to be, idk

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
To clarify, I think he’s saying that my IPDM isn’t grounded or something.. I’m not really sure, I don’t have the wiring diagrams to check for myself, and the ground connectors near the IPDM look prestigious without any issues. How can water pressure damage the ground? Weird… no technician I’ve taken the car to has been able to fix my problem

edit: I am also returning this IPDM I purchased too, because it didn’t fix anything. And I’m not sure how my ECM could be damaged, because if that’s damaged should I also have a crap ton of other issues… the only thing I’m getting is Radiator fans and tbh the car does seem a bit heavy like it’s not as quick or fast as it used to be.. which could be due to the heat but even when I full throttle to hear my turbos it’s as it used to be, idk
Pin #41 in connector E121 is the IPDM ground.

• Helpful

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Pin #41 in connector E121 is the IPDM ground.
If you check post #85 I have already tried to see if there is ground in that connector unfortunately there is not. I checked all the nearby ground connections, and they seem to be fine.
Exhibit A.
that black wire is for the Low Pressure fuel pump ground. I am going to try moving that to the other connector and cleaning the current connection with that big wire to see if that made any difference.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
If you check post #85 I have already tried to see if there is ground in that connector unfortunately there is not. I checked all the nearby ground connections, and they seem to be fine.
Exhibit A.
that black wire is for the Low Pressure fuel pump ground. I am going to try moving that to the other connector and cleaning the current connection with that big wire to see if that made any difference.
EDIT:
My IPDM is actually getting the ground, pin 41 on E121 is getting ground. The reaosn why I thought it wasn't is because I was checking connection through the top of the connector, but i manually disconnected it and verified it directly on the pin, and it light up.
If you had the opportunity to see the image I sent then please disregard that, it's for the battery terminal, not the actual IPDM.

So my IPDM is grounded, my car doesnt have any other electrical issues, but when I do the IPDM test it refuses to turn on my fans, but when i add direct power or simply trigger the relay to turn on manually, the fans do spin.. They pressure washed my engine bay completely with all the wires exposed, so I do not understand how my ECM could be damaged if it's on the inside? Could there be a corroded wire possibly? What do you think Avedis. From the beginning of this thread you called it with my IPDM and was correct, any ideas?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Update:
I returned the IPDM I purchased from eBay, and purchased another one from eBay, this time they stated that it was tested. I made sure the part numbers matched up and everything. To be completely honest I am 80% sure this is not a problem with my IPDM specifically, I think when these guys pressure washed the crap out of my engine they must've caused an open circuit or shorted something... what specifically I am not sure. I also noticed today that my air filter is completely exposed, and was curious what happens if lots of water got into there... is the BCM located under the air filter? Maybe that could be how it was damaged or something. I also spent the entire day yesterday going to every junkyard within a 30 mile radius with an infiniti and got a butt-load of relays, fuses, and wiring. I replaced every fuse and relay that was exposed to the water, and nothing has changed. If this next IPDM arriving on 30th does not function I am going to call it, and take it to the dealership.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
Update:
I returned the IPDM I purchased from eBay, and purchased another one from eBay, this time they stated that it was tested. I made sure the part numbers matched up and everything. To be completely honest I am 80% sure this is not a problem with my IPDM specifically, I think when these guys pressure washed the crap out of my engine they must've caused an open circuit or shorted something... what specifically I am not sure. I also noticed today that my air filter is completely exposed, and was curious what happens if lots of water got into there... is the BCM located under the air filter? Maybe that could be how it was damaged or something. I also spent the entire day yesterday going to every junkyard within a 30 mile radius with an infiniti and got a butt-load of relays, fuses, and wiring. I replaced every fuse and relay that was exposed to the water, and nothing has changed. If this next IPDM arriving on 30th does not function I am going to call it, and take it to the dealership.
The BCM (#1) is located here behind the RH dash side finisher in the passenger side footwell:

Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Automotive design Automotive exterior Font

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I'll try finding it after I finish my homework assignments. Also I feel like it could be the BCM because the air vent for the air filter was opened, and I am guessing when they were detailing the car water dropped in there, and could've possibly affected the BCM if it's under or close to the air vent. I will explain with photos in an hour or so. Thank you very much Avedis

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
The BCM is not plug and play. You have to read the current BCM configuration, save it, and when the new BCM is installed, you write the configuration into it with a CONSULT. One can also manually enter the configuration with a CONSULT. A system initialization is also to be performed for NATS and TPMS. An Infiniti dealership knows how to do this. I'm not so sure your BCM is the cause of your problems though.

• Helpful

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
The BCM is not plug and play. You have to read the current BCM configuration, save it, and when the new BCM is installed, you write the configuration into it with a CONSULT. One can also manually enter the configuration with a CONSULT. A system initialization is also to be performed for NATS and TPMS. An Infiniti dealership knows how to do this. I'm not so sure your BCM is the cause of your problems though.
I also do not believe my BCM is the cause, the new IPDM comes in today. If my issue is NOT resolved, I will be taking it to the dealership undoubtedly. The only problem I have is my current fuse box location in the engine bay driver side, my radiator fan socket is burnt to a crisp, so I am currently taking it apart so I can sauter the new side

81 - 98 of 98 Posts