Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dyno & street tuning are complete & the numbers are in. Had a bit too much E in the fuel blend today (@E58 vs a target of E50 - oops..) Add to that this is a Houston summer weather dyno tune and the magic Hussain puts on these VR30’s is all the more impressive! 😎

The car is a completely different driving experience with this much power on tap. As I get to learn how to drive a Q50 with this much zip - I’m sure I’ll have more to add.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

·
Premium Member
18 RS Q50 RWD
220 Posts
a very strong Q. anything in the way of specifics you’d care to share on the wmi setup?

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
a very strong Q. anything in the way of specifics you’d care to share on the wmi setup?
Thank you - it has been a very expensive and long journey getting to this point - as we all know, all to well, this is a very expensive hobby (habit) to have!

As for the WMI setup - it is a JB4 controlled BMS WMI kit. It is set to spray at 12 psi now and has Devil’s Own (DO7) nozzles. I have a cup full of various nozzles from BMS and ProMeth in a rainbow of sizes; however the DO7’s spray pattern and volume just seem to work best on this setup. I am running a W/M ratio of 40:60 now - using yellow bottles of HEET I have found to be more economical than gallon jugs of meth. At Hussain’s recommendation - I will continue to lean out the water towards a pure meth goal.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Reactions: Geraldomi

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Look at that peak. Looked like it never nosed over. That's some top end for sure. I'd be surprised if you really gain much on the WMI if you're running E50 or higher.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at that peak. Looked like it never nosed over. That's some top end for sure. I'd be surprised if you really gain much on the WMI if you're running E50 or higher.
We thought that as well - however the fact I have stock injectors and the smaller AMS HPFP, we were running out of fuel (something about injection duration to spark numbers if I recall?!) Once we turned on the WMI, the logs showed the positive impact of the WMI being enabled at 12psi.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,234 Posts
We thought that as well - however the fact I have stock injectors and the smaller AMS HPFP, we were running out of fuel (something about injection duration to spark numbers if I recall?!) Once we turned on the WMI, the logs showed the positive impact of the WMI being enabled at 12psi.
Are you adding the extra boost for WMI through the JB4?

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you adding the extra boost for WMI through the JB4?
Absolutely not - the JB4 is just there to manage the FSB/Pump. I do however still like some of the JB4 logging features more than the EcuTek Connect app - like the auto logging at a defined WOT percentage (why EcuTek doesn’t offer that is a mystery.)

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On a related note - Hussain has the Map 3 E60+WMI boost at 23psi. Alex and him spent a ton of time working to keep the wtq numbers in the low 500’s as I have 48k miles on the stock transmission (no need to stress it out.) The fact I was running too much E vs the requested E50 also impacted the final numbers.

I will also be swapping out spark plugs at Hussain’s recommendation. With these boost levels, stock spark plugs / gapping becomes more of a factor to watch for. So I have a set of NGK Spark Plug SILZKBR8D8S 97506 on the way and will gap them at 0.024 - along with an oil change / analysis following the dyno runs. 😋

·
Registered
Gulfport, Mississippi
123 Posts
That's a nice looking dyno, especially seeing the power continue to climb all the way up to 7k. Congrats! A video of the dyno pull would have made it even sweeter. Interested to hear how your exhaust setup sounds.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,234 Posts
Absolutely not - the JB4 is just there to manage the FSB/Pump. I do however still like some of the JB4 logging features more than the EcuTek Connect app - like the auto logging at a defined WOT percentage (why EcuTek doesn’t offer that is a mystery.)
What WMI failsafe are you running?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Ah, I didnt realize you were on stock injectors. I retract my statement. I figured you had upgraded it with the pump.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,929 Posts
OMG. Look at that green line! It doesn't stop climbing! 🤤

Why is the daily set to an overly modest 14psi?

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OMG. Look at that green line! It doesn't stop climbing! 🤤

Why is the daily set to an overly modest 14psi?
So let’s start with I am over 50 and have been accused by others as driving like I am 90 around town. So as a sleeper daily driver - I just don’t use much right foot - well except for on-ramps. 😋

As for the graph - Hussain and I discussed if I had a power goal in mind. Honestly - not really - I just wanted all of the parts the car has to shine together w/o a hero map that kills the car (I already “been there - done that” before getting the car dialed in.) He believes there is more there (maybe 650whp?) but we kept a more conservative goal in mind. We have to consider this is a 48k mile stock Jatco which probably would not receive high 500wtq numbers well longterm.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,234 Posts
So let’s start with I am over 50 and have been accused by others as driving like I am 90 around town. So as a sleeper daily driver - I just don’t use much right foot - well except for on-ramps. 😋

As for the graph - Hussain and I discussed if I had a power goal in mind. Honestly - not really - I just wanted all of the parts the car has to shine together w/o a hero map that kills the car (I already “been there - done that” before getting the car dialed in.) He believes there is more there (maybe 650whp?) but we kept a more conservative goal in mind. We have to consider this is a 48k mile stock Jatco which probably would not receive high 500wtq numbers well longterm.
Why not just flatline the WTQ to 450wtq from 5k-7300? you'll still be making 630WHP peak just with a much steeper WHP ramp up, and keep the trans happy. Would sort of be the best of both worlds for your uses. Modest daily low/mid range torque, and a decent top end when you want it.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Magenta

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I get the new spark plugs in and some logs back to Hussain - who knows, maybe another trip down I-45 to do some more dyno tweaking (this time with a tank of E50 and all meth for the WMI tank…😉)

Reactions: twin_snails

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
When I get the new spark plugs in and some logs back to Hussain - who knows, maybe another trip down I-45 to do some more dyno tweaking (this time with a tank of E50 and all meth for the WMI tank…😉)
Just remember the general rule of thumb is more than 50% meth is flammable.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just remember the general rule of thumb is more than 50% meth is flammable.
So keep that fire extinguisher nice a close by then - got it!😜

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
So - maybe not in the box wedged against the sub and jumper battery - roger that.
Bingo. I have mine on the floor behind the driver seat so its within arm distance should i see smoke. Imagine it being in the trunk and the fire causes the trunk not to open or the fire itself is in the trunk...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts