Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when you are cruising down in Mexico and a car pulls next to you what is the first thing you do? Go to manual and drop down a gear? What RPMs at 60MPH or gear? Leave it in sport mode? Manual immediately down shift to 5000. Never run it in Sport mode when a car pulls up next to you.
Since I modded my car I have attracted attention from Scatpacks/subies/hondas/370s everywhere.

Ecutek 400/465

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think our platform is getting noticed and earning respect.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
2850-5500 is where the magic happens..I upshift as the needle starts to pass 5500. Dropping to 5th at 65 is about right. I'm at 2200-2350 on the highway depending on the speed I set my CC at.

After my Pure Stage 2 turbos go in I may find shifting at 6250-6850 is better as the power doesn't drop off like the OEM turbos do.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
540 Posts
Any reason not to run it in sport mode?
I been running it on sport mode as the norm

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Sport mode in manual so it doesn't shift at a to high a RPM, but probably as quick.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Omg! Thank you!

This is what I do too. Once I start the car, I switch to Sport mode before I start driving. And depending on the mood, I would either be in auto or manual mode. But Sport mode is the default mode for sure.

I just wish Infiniti Q would remember your last mode so you don't have to keep switching it every time.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
98 Posts
Well if you are trying to race, 3rd gear is best at 60. 2nd gear pulls are useless unless you're doing a 30 roll. The upshift to 3rd gear loses too much time so it's not worth it.

Reactions: socalsupra

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Signature Edition
933 Posts
40 roll in 2nd gear, torque on demand, but you gotta shift on time or else you'll nosedive on redline
60 roll in 3rd gear

it's very easy.. @JohnInNH if you're in 5th gear at 65 you're getting smoked by anything making any semblance of power and is in a lower gear.. 5th gear at 65 is cruising/gas saving

If someone pulls up next to me and we aren't honking it out, i'll get in whatever gear i need to be to launch, do a half second pull to see if they will get on it with me/let them match speed, then off I go. Most of the time I give the other car the hit and wait to hear them downshift and go WOT. A chase is a race, and since I am stock exhaust nobody can hear me

·
Registered
239 Posts
Us VQ guy's do anything we can to launch at no lower than 5.5k, must be nice having torque.

·
Registered
2019 Luxe
27 Posts
You guys are lucky...I've been cruising Route 100 here in Mexico every other weekend and can't get anyone to line up with me. I think I'm too much of a sleeper.

But I personnaly use the manual mode when I'm on the back roads and just leave it in drive when cruising; unless someone, eventually someday, lines up with me/ takes the bait. Then I switch to manual and go from second usually at 40 mph.

·
Registered
2019 Q50S Iridium Blue/ Graphite
401 Posts
You guys are lucky...I've been cruising Route 100 here in Mexico every other weekend and can't get anyone to line up with me. I think I'm too much of a sleeper.
Adding super wide wheels & tires seems to act as a good visual cue to get a Q50 noticed. I even see non car people react trying to figure out if it’s some special model/ trim level.

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
686 Posts
I can never get a race. I jumped on a new SS Camaro and got him to roll from about 55mph. I pulled on him good and then after we slowed down he puked back up beside me and was smiling ear to ear and giving me thumbs up. He asked me what I had done to my car.
If I dont provoke the race I'll never get to race.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adding super wide wheels & tires seems to act as a good visual cue to get a Q50 noticed. I even see non car people react trying to figure out if it’s some special model/ trim level.
Why did you get rid of your supra? Do you have pics of the 325/30/19 on your Q? I have 285/30/20

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I liked 3rd at 60pmh when testing last night. Question what happens if you leave it in 3rd and do not shift when accelerating 6500, 7000, 7500_____ BOOM?
I will try 2nd at 40 today Consensus is most all switch to manual when approached. Does it matter what mode you are in if you switch to manual?

·
Registered
2019 Q50S Iridium Blue/ Graphite
401 Posts
Why did you get rid of your supra? Do you have pics of the 325/30/19 on your Q? I have 285/30/20
I had two mkiv supras at different points but that was 20 years ago. Great cars though. If you search the forums my old pics of 325’s are posted. You have to nail the width (11” wheel) and offset (+56) to run them.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Are you running 10.5 width wheels with the 285/30s?

I had two mkiv supras at different points but that was 20 years ago. Great cars though. If you search the forums my old pics of 325’s are posted. You have to nail the width (11” wheel) and offset (+56) to run them.
Dang. 11s in the rear with 325/30 tires. I didn't that was possible.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Signature Edition
933 Posts
I liked 3rd at 60pmh when testing last night. Question what happens if you leave it in 3rd and do not shift when accelerating 6500, 7000, 7500_____ BOOM?
I will try 2nd at 40 today Consensus is most all switch to manual when approached. Does it matter what mode you are in if you switch to manual?
Your car will legit nosedive and you'll go OH CRAP. Basically you just stop generating power

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.