Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I don't have a HX yet, but it is the next thing I plan to buy - and I'm curious. How does it actually impact hot weather performance?

I have noticed lately that my car feels like a Civic during the afternoon when outside temps are ~90F (no accell), but in the evening when it drops to ~70 it feels like a Q50 again. And this is on the first pull of the day after getting up to temp. I don't have concrete numbers yet since my JB4 isn't here but the butt dyno shows significant difference.

I was under the impression HX helped prevent heat soak in normal weather after a few runs, but I'm curious what the actual impact is in hot weather.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It should still help pull the charge air temperature down. While the components of the intake tract are plastic, they still pass a lot of heat into the intakes. So charge air temp could be as high as 150°-160°F. Even at ambient temps of 95°, you'll still get some cooling benefit to maybe pull the charge air temps down to 120°

Reactions: nickdaria

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should still help pull the charge air temperature down. While the components of the intake tract are plastic, they still pass a lot of heat into the intakes. So charge air temp could be as high as 150°-160°F. Even at ambient temps of 95°, you'll still get some cooling benefit to maybe pull the charge air temps down to 120°
True, I suppose it's worth it then. Is hot weather just a weak point on these cars?

·
Super Moderator
3,753 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Slope Circle

Insanely hot today, and unfortunately it appears it will be 100F on the day my JB4 gets in. Might just wait until next week before going to the drag strip and doing a before/after.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
83 Posts
I have the AMS hx. I did some data logging this afternoon at ~5900ft ASL, and ambient 92-96*F for my ecutek tuner. My highest charge air temp hit ~140*F at the end of a 4th gear 3500 to limiter pull and my highest charge air coolant temp hit ~120*F.

While my CACT temps come down pretty quickly, my charge air temp tends to hang out in the mid ~120*F range after such runs for quite a bit longer.

I'm sure beating on a black on black on black car in this environment with no cloud cover is also super helpful though.

·
Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
174 Posts
I have the Mishimoto Heat Exchanger, and honestly it's on my top 3 favorite mods so far. I didn't even had a JB4 back then, around last summer I noticed the performance reduction just as you described it.

So if you plan to continue modifying your car, I highly suggest you get a heat exchanger. It's the most cost effective way of managing heat soak.

Which one you choose, it's all up to you. They all do the same and they all are a significant upgrade compared to the stock one.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Mishimoto Heat Exchanger, and honestly it's on my top 3 favorite mods so far. I didn't even had a JB4 back then, around last summer I noticed the performance reduction just as you described it.

So if you plan to continue modifying your car, I highly suggest you get a heat exchanger. It's the most cost effective way of managing heat soak.

Which one you choose, it's all up to you. They all do the same and they all are a significant upgrade compared to the stock one.
Yeah, I'm sold on the HX, I just haven't decided which one. I've been on the fence about which one though, I don't think I need to spend a grand uninstalled on the AMS HX since I don't need insane performance, I just need an upgrade that will let the car perform in hot weather.

Also curious about running a BMS HX inline with stock, since Hussain @ Racebox mentioned it to me in one of his builds.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the AMS hx. I did some data logging this afternoon at ~5900ft ASL, and ambient 92-96*F for my ecutek tuner. My highest charge air temp hit ~140*F at the end of a 4th gear 3500 to limiter pull and my highest charge air coolant temp hit ~120*F.

While my CACT temps come down pretty quickly, my charge air temp tends to hang out in the mid ~120*F range after such runs for quite a bit longer.

I'm sure beating on a black on black on black car in this environment with no cloud cover is also super helpful though.
Wow, that's impressive. I'm curious to see my hot weather CAT when my JB4 comes in. Going to be running map0 and map6 at the drag strip next Wednesday so it will be neat down the line to make some solid comparisons between CAT.

Reactions: BlaQBetty

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
83 Posts
Wow, that's impressive. I'm curious to see my hot weather CAT when my JB4 comes in. Going to be running map0 and map6 at the drag strip next Wednesday so it will be neat down the line to make some solid comparisons between CAT.
That's really funny. My reaction was, "well, that can't be good. Better start looking into an interchiller or bigger intercoolers." 😂

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's really funny. My reaction was, "well, that can't be good. Better start looking into an interchiller or bigger intercoolers." 😂
Right? I think I'm going to forego that right now and just accept that I won't perform as well for 2 months out of the year during the day. :LOL:

Thankfully temps at least get down to mid/high 70s at night which is doable, and I'm mostly commuting during the day anyways. Jealous of our friends up north for sure.

·
Registered
583 Posts
True, I suppose it's worth it then. Is hot weather just a weak point on these cars?
Yes, it's a weak point for all cars really, but on forced induction, the issue is amplified because the turbos compressing the air already creates heat and high ambients just pile on.

You may want to give this a look before you get a heat exchanger. This guy lives in South Florida and said his charge air temps are usually about 55°F when it's 90+ outside.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, it's a weak point for all cars really, but on forced induction, the issue is amplified because the turbos compressing the air already creates heat and high ambients just pile on.

You may want to give this a look before you get a heat exchanger. This guy lives in South Florida and said his charge air temps are usually about 55°F when it's 90+ outside.

Well, that's a neat damn mod I never knew about. Curious if it affects cabin A/C when the drag valve is off. What are the pros/cons to a chilled setup?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well, that's a neat damn mod I never knew about. Curious if it affects cabin A/C when the drag valve is off. What are the pros/cons to a chilled setup?
Additional refrigerant is added to offset the volume. Cabin temp is not affected when properly installed.

The pros are that it's going to give you very cool temps.

Cons are very high price installed and that it still doesn't work at WOT throttle or when the a/c is off. You'll have to remember to have the a/c 100% of the time. Not that big of a deal, just something to keep in mind.

For an a2w setup, it's the pinnacle of cooling and the only system that allows below ambient temps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I considered the interchiller, but the total cost of the unit + install is exorbitant to say the least. For everyday applications it's overkill.

·
Super Moderator
3,753 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
I considered the interchiller, but the total cost of the unit + install is exorbitant to say the least. For everyday applications it's overkill.
it's really not. user logs from southern areas and even mishimoto have shown heat soak to the point of pulling timing with the stock HX. the aftermarket ones, while they do better, are really nothing more than a hedge against the inevitable. for most people, an aftermarket HX probably is the answer but its still an issue after a single pull, lots of low speed driving, or even just extended idling. recovery times with bigger HXs do generally allow for a "reset" of temps but youre still dealing with 100+ degree temps to start with. remember, no a2w (without an icebox) or a2a HX is capable of below ambient temps.

an interchiller is undoubtedly more complex and expensive but it guarantees below ambient temps at all times. this allows for less overall stress on various systems, far more consistent temps, and finally the ability to tune more precisely because of the aforementioned positives.

i have to agree with you on the price, theres no way around it. however, this is an example of when you really do get what you pay for. here's a nice link from FI's website with a comparison to another company's product. Killer Chiller Reviews and Change Over Legal Agreement Form – Fi Interchillers Online Store

1 - 20 of 38 Posts