Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing a new Northstar X2 AGM battery in my Hybrid Q50S. Just thought I share that the vent holes on the AGM battery are not round and that there squared. So anyone deciding to install an AGM battery will not be able to use there vent hose with out modification. Although you don’t really need a venting system for an AGM as they don’t vent has at all and if they did it would be 0.001 percent. A very small chance of it venting any gas. But just to be on the safe side and for piece of mind you can do what I did and go this route.

I bought a vent tube system that is for older GM Vehicles and it was the only thing that will work on these batteries and for our cars. The part number is GM Genuine Parts 25720111 Battery Vent Tube Amazon.com: GM Genuine Parts 25720111 Battery Vent Tube: Automotive
The purpose of installing an AGM battery is that it is very useful and important for an Hybrid system as it helps with less power draw for the hybrid system. AGM batteries are especially useful for start and stop vehicles such as the hybrids and other cars.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
You are correct that those AGM batteries are the proper choice for hybrids but for reasons other than the stop start system. That is handled by the L-ion battery and the 85 HP starter motor.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
AGM batteries are designed to be used sealed. EFB and standard flooded acid batteries are not.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
AGM batteries are designed to be used sealed. EFB and standard flooded acid batteries are not.
Yet, I am pretty sure the one in my hybrid is vented. I'll have to check.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yet, I am pretty sure the one in my hybrid is vented. I'll have to check.
The one in are hybrids are not AGM as they are lead acid from factory. So yes it would’ve vented. For some reason only the M35H and Q70 Hybrids has the AGM but decided not to install it on the Q50 Hybrids. But even TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Infiniti says to replace the 12 volt battery with an AGM battery from Northstar. So I bought the same OEM Recommended Northstar AGM battery as it’s considered to be the one of the best reputable brands out there. I was trying to buy this battery from the dealer but it said it’s discontinued which was a bummer because I wouldn’t have to tinker with vent tubes as I would be able to use the stock setup as it had a round vent hole as opposed to the square one. Even though you don’t need to vent AGM batteries cause they are sealed it’s still recommended by Infiniti according to this TSB.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The one in are hybrids are not AGM as they are lead acid from factory. So yes it would’ve vented. For some reason only the M35H and Q70 Hybrids has the AGM but decided not to install it on the Q50 Hybrids. But even TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Infiniti says to replace the 12 volt battery with an AGM battery from Northstar. So I bought the same OEM Recommended Northstar AGM battery as it’s considered to be the one of the best reputable brands out there. I was trying to buy this battery from the dealer but it said it’s discontinued which was a bummer because I wouldn’t have to tinker with vent tubes as I would be able to use the stock setup as it had a round vent hole as opposed to the square one. Even though you don’t need to vent AGM batteries cause they are sealed it’s still recommended by Infiniti according to this TSB. View attachment 98343 View attachment 98344
Hmm.I had my 12V battery replaced under a recall about 4 years ago. I just went out in the freezing weather to check what I got. I only removed the small panel and can't get a real good look to see if it is a conventional wet battery or AGM. It has lead in it though from the sticker and there is a rubber tube in there so...?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm.I had my 12V battery replaced under a recall about 4 years ago. I just went out in the freezing weather to check what I got. I only removed the small panel and can't get a real good look to see if it is a conventional wet battery or AGM. It has lead in it though from the sticker and there is a rubber tube in there so...?
Yes, you have the lead battery that I had installed before the AGM. Its the oem nissan maintenance free battery with lead acid. Its not AGM. So next time you can choose to install an AGM battery if you like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts