Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When reading the M35h docs, I noticed that the Li-ion battery powers the A/C compressor.
That's good for the engine that won't have to do it, but I wonder how much power it will suck out of the Li-ion battery.
I've read that A/C compressors consume the equivalent of 10-12hp, and since the Li-ion battery only delivers 67hp, having the A/C on could seriously impact the acceleration boost. After all, the hybrid is a 4000+ lbs monster, and the gas engine only delivers 255 lbs-ft without the battery boost.
It would be interesting to test the car when full of people with the A/C on vs. off.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Hard to say since I don't own a M35h but I don't see it being hard to believe.

The AC compressor will draw voltage from the battery. If the battery can handle the voltage drain from the AC compressor and still delivery the required voltage to the wheels then maybe not.

It's better to drain the battery then put strain on the engine I suppose.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Clearly would make a difference in acceleration. In the end, it may not make a huge difference in comparative mpg. You either take the power from the battery or the gas engine. Either way reduces mpg.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Can you provide the link to the M35h doc? I would love to read it.
I don't think there is any lost to acceleration as long there are power left in the Li-Ion battery because the Q50 Hybrid use a Direct Response Hybrid which doesn't use any torque converter. Now, the question is how much power does the AC drain the battery? I guess we have to wait until the car is out to know the answer. There is hardly any technical information on the web about the Q50 hybrid.

When reading the M35h docs, I noticed that the Li-ion battery powers the A/C compressor.
That's good for the engine that won't have to do it, but I wonder how much power it will suck out of the Li-ion battery.
I've read that A/C compressors consume the equivalent of 10-12hp, and since the Li-ion battery only delivers 67hp, having the A/C on could seriously impact the acceleration boost. After all, the hybrid is a 4000+ lbs monster, and the gas engine only delivers 255 lbs-ft without the battery boost.
It would be interesting to test the car when full of people with the A/C on vs. off.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Whatever you're driving - turn your AC on full, floor it up an on-ramp, and put your hand in front of the vent.

I've yet to find a car that doesn't disengage it's clutch to the AC compressor with its throttle fully depressed.

In the case of this hybrid it would be a programmed switch, in lieu of a mechanical disconnect. You'll ultimately end up receiving maximum power available by both sources (ICE/Battery).

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Whatever you're driving - turn your AC on full, floor it up an on-ramp, and put your hand in front of the vent.

I've yet to find a car that doesn't disengage it's clutch to the AC compressor with its throttle fully depressed.

In the case of this hybrid it would be a programmed switch, in lieu of a mechanical disconnect. You'll ultimately end up receiving maximum power available by both sources (ICE/Battery).
did not know that. so it stops blowing or does it just go warm when under full throttle?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
This reminds me of the old vacuum actuated windshield wipers, which would stop moving if you floored it. It would be my guess that quite a few people here have never seen those.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
That was a big problem in an old 4cyl Camry I had, and the 78 Corolla fastback, and the 81 Celica. However, I have never noticed this once in my G35. The engine has more than enough power at WOT to drive a compressor.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Depending on how long you had your foot in it you might not even notice the compressor stopping. The evaporator coils are going to be cool when the compressor shuts off so depending on how long it is off and what level you have the fan set on it may take awhile for the change in temp to be noticed.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
LOL I was talking about having the AC stop for a minute when you floor it. Vacuum actuated wipers sounds hilarious. Were those connected with mahogany dowel rods to the brass steam chamber? :D
Now, that's funny! Seriously, I believe that all cars up through at least the 60's(and maybe the '70's) had those type of wipers.. I never learned how they were connected to the engine performance.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
The wipers were connected to the intake manifold. We uses to have one of those vacuum gauges that measured pseudo engine efficiency by measuring the vacuum level. The higher the vacuum, the greater the engine efficiency. Keep your foot out of it and the vacuum level stays high and in the green range. Floor it and you essentially have no vacuum as the carburetor throttle butterfly is wide open to std atmosphere.

Reactions: avanti5010

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Now, that's funny! Seriously, I believe that all cars up through at least the 60's(and maybe the '70's) had those type of wipers.. I never learned how they were connected to the engine performance.
Ask Infiniti Chick... She knows all about that decade.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.