Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there is about a 4-5 mpg difference in the EPA ratings for the hybrid AWD and the same model with the S package. Are they geared differently, or is there some other difference which makes the regular model so more fuel efficient?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Hybrid EPA Estimates:

City/Hwy/Combined

Premium | Sport
RWD 29/36/31 28/34/30
AWD 28/35/30 27/31/28

Combined difference is two mpg. Only explanation I can think of for the 4mpg highway difference is the tires on the sport.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I noticed there is about a 4-5 mpg difference in the EPA ratings for the hybrid AWD and the same model with the S package. Are they geared differently, or is there some other difference which makes the regular model so more fuel efficient?
I asked this question of my dealer when I bought mine, and his response was that the S model is tuned for more performance, and therefore has lower gas mileage. I didn't really buy that explanation, though thinking about it later, I thought it might be that the S model is programmed to favor keeping more charge on the battery rather than running in all-electric mode for longer periods. This way the battery is always available to provide extra boost to the gas engine when needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - Sinecure, I was talking about the 4 mpg highway difference, which is significant.

The other problem I have is the smaller trunk. Not sure 9 CF will work.

Thanks for the answers guys.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
AWD sport does get about 10% less MPG (bigger brakes, suspension, and system tuneup), I am getting about 24MPG over last 1200 miles (breakin period over), hope to see better MPG ...at the time of the first oil change.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thanks - Sinecure, I was talking about the 4 mpg highway difference, which is significant.

The other problem I have is the smaller trunk. Not sure 9 CF will work.

Thanks for the answers guys.
That's why I wanted 2-wheel drive only. The AWD carries a weight penalty for the extra components. Of course, no dealer had one within 350 miles. I guess I'll learn to love the AWD this winter, and it did come with the incredibly wonderful steering wheel heater (missed from my beloved 2004 BMW X3, 6 MT). Yes, the trunk is smaller, but sufficient for our family. BTW, I'm already averaging above the EPA estimates, with less than 1K miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never said I was surprised, I was commenting that the difference was significant, that's all. 4 mpg on a highway rating is a lot. I'd expect 1 or 2.

Thanks for the comments all....we'll see what happens if/when I drive one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After 4 days of driving the Q50S Hybrid I did a test of highway/city driving from Boston, MA to Newport, RI. Averaging about 80 MPH using cruise, sonar, and active lane control on the highway I averaged about 29 MPG which improved to 31 MPG as I drove around the streets of newport. Coming home I averaged about 28 MPG. The one element of this test is on the way down I was in sport mode and on the way home I was in eco mode. So either mode if the car is driven smoothly it looks like you can get an average of 29 MPG. Which is exactly what the reviews have put it at.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been averaging about 25 in my AWD hybrid sport as well. 80% city and 20% highway. Only 300 miles though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had my Hybrid Sport AWD now for only a little over a week but I travel for work each week and now have just over 800 highway miles on it. Highway driving with cruise set at 80 I also average 29-30 mpg which frankly I'm quite happy with. The TL that the Q replaced did only 20 on that same route. I played around with Sport mode Vs. Eco mode with cruise again set at 80 and there was really no mesurable difference, still right around 29. I may try a trip with cruise set at 70 to see what that yields, I will just get home 15 minutes late :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.