Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pretty obvious the hybrid's brakes will last longer than on a conventional vehicle. I read on one site they can last 3 times as many miles and I read on a couple of forums posts from people with Toyota hybrids crossing 100K miles on their original pads. It will be interesting to see how long they go in a hybrid Q50.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
It's pretty obvious the hybrid's brakes will last longer than on a conventional vehicle. I read on one site they can last 3 times as many miles and I read on a couple of forums posts from people with Toyota hybrids crossing 100K miles on their original pads. It will be interesting to see how long they go in a hybrid Q50.
Yes, it's true that the brakes on hybrids last longer than normal. I'll be happy if the bakes last on my Q for four yrs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
shouldn't you also factor in what type of conditions you are driving your cars in?

for example, I had a Toyota Highlander that was on a four year lease, and in that four year lease, I did not need to change the brakes since my Highlander mostly had highway mileage and put over 70,000km on it and so minimal brakes were used. And now compare that to my Honda, since that was mostly city driving, and sitting in traffic that was mostly stop and go, i happened to replace my brakes on that car two years after I had replaced them

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I expect the hybrid's brakes to last much longer, and the sport's even more so. The regenerative effect on deceleration seems even more pronounced than a manual transmission's. Of course, YMMV depending on the quantity of highway driving.

When my 2001 Acura CL, Type S, 6MT, was brought in for 100K mile service, the original brakes had 60% left (replaced them anyway). When I sold it with 200K miles, it was still on the second set. BTW, it also had the original clutch.

Based on my experience, the original brakes should last 100K miles, minimum.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I had a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid before the Q. I pulled a trailer often (3k #). I had a little of over 110,000 miles on it, and I never changed the brake pads, still had 1/3 lift left when I turned it in. 80% of my driving was highway.

So yes, brake pads do last longer on a Hybrid.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I expect the hybrid's brakes to last much longer, and the sport's even more so. The regenerative effect on deceleration seems even more pronounced than a manual transmission's. Of course, YMMV depending on the quantity of highway driving.

When my 2001 Acura CL, Type S, 6MT, was brought in for 100K mile service, the original brakes had 60% left (replaced them anyway). When I sold it with 200K miles, it was still on the second set. BTW, it also had the original clutch.

Based on my experience, the original brakes should last 100K miles, minimum.
200K on the original clutch is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, so much for hybrid brakes lasting longer, at least when I'm driving. I took my car to the dealer to get the rotors refinished again because I was getting vibration. Rotors can be refinished under warranty as long as there is still 5 mm left on the brake pads. After dropping the car off, my service rep called and said there were 4 mm left on the front and 2 mm on the back. Since you are supposed to change them at 3 mm, I went ahead and asked them to do both brakes. I have 27,000 miles. He said this is a little early for these brakes. No doubt it has to do with the spirited driving I have done in this car, far more than I initially did in my G37 because the G37 was my first fast car I had owned it for a lot longer before I started braking from higher than normal speeds.

Since I've gotten a lot of the fun out of my system with the Q50S Hybrid, I'm going to take it a lot easier on this 2nd generation of brakes.

By the way, it turns out the brake parts on the Q50S are in fact a little different than those on the G37S even though outwardly they look the same.

Reactions: ATLGsofAllSorts

·
Registered
89 Posts
... Rotors can be refinished under warranty as long as there is still 5 mm left on the brake pads...
Wow... I didn't know that... I just took my car in for an oil change and forgot to mention that I'm getting the vibration too. I'll make a trip back and see if I can get a refinish too. But I have a feeling like you hunter81, I might have also enjoyed the braking a bit too much. Trail braking against the random BMWs and Audis may be overrated after I get the bill. ;)

Reactions: hunter81

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@hunter81, do you know what's the difference?
You are referring to hybrid brakes right?
My understanding is it's a minor difference between all Q50S brakes and all G37S brakes. He said they are very close, but still different part numbers.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow... I didn't know that... I just took my car in for an oil change and forgot to mention that I'm getting the vibration too. I'll make a trip back and see if I can get a refinish too. But I have a feeling like you hunter81, I might have also enjoyed the braking a bit too much. Trail braking against the random BMWs and Audis may be overrated after I get the bill. ;)
Nice to see someone else having that extra bit of fun too!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
My understanding is it's a minor difference between all Q50S brakes and all G37S brakes. He said they are very close, but still different part numbers.
Pads and rear rotors are same except the front rotors are different as there's less space between wheels(rims) and the calipers.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pads and rear rotors are same except the front rotors are different as there's less space between wheels(rims) and the calipers.
Actually they had to order rear pads for my car. They said they were similar to the G37S, but had their own part number.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.