Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the word, does it do it or not?

Infiniti literature is inconsistent. My guess is NO. Or maybe it will when the gas engine is running?

Hybrid guys chime in?

Mike S.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Infiniti literature is inconsistent. My guess is NO. Or maybe it will when the gas engine is running?

Hybrid guys chime in?

Mike S.
I'll be happy to weigh in, but I'm not sure what I'm weighing in on. Explain it to me like I'm not used to sports/luxury car terminology...

Reactions: Q50Aggie

·
Registered
118 Posts
He is asking if the transmission matches the revs when downshifting into a lower gear ....via the paddles on the steering wheel or the gear lever.
Since I've never experienced it, I'm not sure I'd know. I've driven a MT for years and "match my own revs" so I've never had a car that did this. Granted, I don't own a Q50 yet and I'll be test driving a hybrid Saturday. I've already test driven Premium and sport gassers.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I did some research and I think I know what to look for. A blip increase to the rpm as soon as I downshift

·
Registered
225 Posts

Hybrid guys chime in?

Mike S.
I am pretty sure it does it, I haven't messed with it enough to make 100% sure. My Z had rev matching and it was awesome.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is dowshift rev matching, the ECU blips the throttle as it downshifts so the rpms smooth hit the correct rpm that a lower gear at the same speed would be.

In a traditional auto, dropping a gear or two produces the effect of dropping an anchor as the lower engine speed is forced up BY the downshift, thus you loose speed as it happens.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
2010 Infiniti G37xS Sedan - downshifting using paddle shifters, great engine sound - YouTube
This is dowshift rev matching, the ECU blips the throttle as it downshifts so the rpms smooth hit the correct rpm that a lower gear at the same speed would be.

In a traditional auto, dropping a gear or two produces the effect of dropping an anchor as the lower engine speed is forced up BY the downshift, thus you loose speed as it happens.
Oh then yes, it absolutely rev matches. Video coming soon

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So then let me further confuse you. If your in manual mode say 7th gear...and let off the gas. Will the engine shut off? If so, and you drop a few gears via the paddles, what happens?

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
So then let me further confuse you. If your in manual mode say 7th gear...and let off the gas. Will the engine shut off? If so, and you drop a few gears via the paddles, what happens?
If you downshifted when the gas engine was off, the gas engine would simply turn back on at the appropriate rpm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Awesome you're great!

Yea...its doing some kind of blipping as evidenced by your power gauge quickly jumps for a second into "power" as the downshift happens.

Ok next questions. When the car is going say 65 and you left off the gas....In a lot of cases the engine shuts off. Some Infiniti marketing materials have noted that the car will "glide" down to speed. My question is, is the tranny decoupling from the engine during this process? I suspect it is.

If it is, the car should "roll" much easier than say the non-hybrid. if you're in 7th in the non-hybrid, when you left off the gas and coast, the car isn't using any fuel (the injectors likely shut off). However, your still spinning the engine (without using any fuel), and thus the car slows.

A cool test would be for a hybrid and non-hybrid to both travel at the same speed next to each other. Say 70 mph. If both let off the gas at the same time, the hybrid should roll easier and pull ahead as the non-hybrid slows quicker.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A cool test would be for a hybrid and non-hybrid to both travel at the same speed next to each other. Say 70 mph. If both let off the gas at the same time, the hybrid should roll easier and pull ahead as the non-hybrid slows quicker.
That would be a good test. I think when the hybrid is coasting it regenerates battery. I only say this cause when watching the fuel flow screen, the battery shows that the car is recharging it when coasting - I have not noticed a coasting "drag".

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're right, forgot all about that. When coasting the electric motor drags and produces electricity. They may very well coast at the same rate of deceleration then (Hybrid vs Gas).

What is cool is that I'm pretty sure that if you touch the brake very lightly to slow down, you'll engage stronger regenerative braking before the mechanical brakes bite.

Mike S.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
2010 Infiniti G37xS Sedan - downshifting using paddle shifters, great engine sound - YouTube

Thanks for posting this.

I didn't bring this up as it was unrelated to the Q50 specifically, but I typed up a little blurb on how to use paddle shifters and how they kinda work (in layman's terms). That little vid helps to at least visually demonstrate the effects of the downshifting and how the RPMs are affected. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.