Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago on this forum, I stated that the only reason I was interested in the Q50(as far as actually buying one), was because of the hybrid. I told the same thing to the GM at the dealership. At the time, my 6-year old G had less than 38,000 miles on it, and it was in great shape. I just loved the idea of sticking it to the oil speculators.:D Well, yesterday I was on the Interstate for the first time, and had to smile when going 65 mph, and the car dropped into EV mode and stayed there for more than a mile, until the road had a slight incline. For all the shorter trips I've taken so far, the car is in EV mode about half the time, and of course, it goes into that mode every time it stops. It used to bother me that I was wasting gas at a red light, and though I can be impatient waiting, I'm not as much any more. The big thing that I didn't know about the hybrid is that it can't go into EV mode when the engine is cold, but that isn't a problem. I feel like sticking my tongue out at every gas station I pass(or giving them the middle finger salute). ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I feel like sticking my tongue out at every gas station I pass(or giving them the middle finger salute). ;)
And you get to amuse yourself on long trips seeing how far you can go in E/V mode...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Q50 hybrid is one of the main reason why I choose it over any other car. I could have easily get top of the line Lexus GS350, Mercedes E350, BMW 535i and Audi A6. Since I drove alots and stuck in traffic 50% of the time, getting a hybrid is a practical choice for me. But, I also wants performance when I am in the mood. So, Q50 sport hybrid is a perfect fit for me. So far, I am loving it.
I like the fact that I am in EV mode most of the time when I am stuck in traffic. So far, my average fuel consumption report about 31.5mpg since my last refuel. The car is not even breaking in yet and it is still learning my driving habit to further improve fuel economy and performance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
On a loaded sport, adding Hybrid was <2k difference, so the additional performance and economy was attractive. Not so attractive was giving up the pass-through seats and added complexity. Also driving me nuts is the High pitched whining, but hoping that can be fixed.

It's taking me some adjustment to get used to the Hybrid. Not consistently hearing the VroooM when starting the car, the sometimes surprising vibration of the engine starting, and my obsession with the power flow gauge. Other than the whining, I'm sure I will adjust and think going with the Hybrid was the right choice for me.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I am so glad I opted for the Hybrid. I had initially pre-ordered the fully loaded non-hybrid sport, and said to myself "pfft, why would I want a hybrid". It was not until I drove the M35h that I changed my preorder to the hybrid, and realizing the difference was around $1,700. I couldn't be happier with getting the hybrid, because of the extra power and better gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Did we determine if this high pitched whining was only on the hybrid, or if the gas had it too? I couldn't hear any whining in my hybrid, and neither could the engineers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't think it has been positively determined as a couple people initially reported hearing the sound too. However, there are lots of different types of sounds. I think it is Hybrid only, but perhaps doesn't impact all Hybrids, or some people don't notice the sound - either because they are cranking the music, or their hearing isn't good enough to hear the 16-18KHz sound.

I have noticed (and at least another forum user confirmed), that the sound can be modulated through variations in pressure on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think it has been positively determined as a couple people initially reported hearing the sound too. However, there are lots of different types of sounds. I think it is Hybrid only, but perhaps doesn't impact all Hybrids, or some people don't notice the sound - either because they are cranking the music, or their hearing isn't good enough to hear the 16-18KHz sound.

I have noticed (and at least another forum user confirmed), that the sound can be modulated through variations in pressure on the gas pedal.
Yep, I still hear it every time I drive. Still trying to pin down under what circumstances I hear it, but am starting to feel more like it is the electric motor or the inverter as those are the times I hear it the most.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
If you are hearing a high pitched whine, you could download one of the free Real Time Analyzer apps on your iPhone or other smartphone and see exactly what frequency the whine is. As you move the phone closer to the source of the whine, the level on the analyzer will increase. It might help to find out exactly what is causing it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think it's from the hybrid. I do hear the sound too especially when you are in the EV mode and lightly press on the brake or accelerate. The quiteness of the Q50 interior make it more noticeable. I got used to it and accepted it as it is.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oof, I hate those photos where ruby shows up as sparkly orange. Some cameras do this though, dunno what or why.
It's not just from the cameras. There is the very slightest hint of orange hue when the sun hits it at a certain angle. It's not overwhelming - it's as if they put an couple of ounce of orange in a gallon of red paint. I like it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you are hearing a high pitched whine, you could download one of the free Real Time Analyzer apps on your iPhone or other smartphone and see exactly what frequency the whine is. As you move the phone closer to the source of the whine, the level on the analyzer will increase. It might help to find out exactly what is causing it.
Already tried it last week (Purchased FFT Plot), but the volume of the whine is so low, and there is road noise. I only hear the noise when in motion, making it more difficult.

Even if I could register the whine, it would be very difficult to see a volume increase based on mic location.

Will try some more...

·
Registered
139 Posts
So you any of you Hybrid owners see your mileage drop that drastically when you open her up and drive it more sports car "aggressive" (showing the Lexus/Bimmer up or making the on-ramp/off-ramp perfect slot)? Or do you find yourself trying to drive more subdued to maximize your mpg??

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Or do you find yourself trying to drive more subdued to maximize your mpg??
I am still in the break in period, but I also drive subdued in order to maximize mpg, even though mine is not a hybrid. When i picked it up, it was showing 48 miles driven with average of 7.6 mpg. I have worked my way up to 23.7 mpg, over 975 total miles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.