Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I REALLY like the idea of the Hybrid and getting a S model combo 30mpg over the non-Hybrid S of 23mpg. But how long does it take for that 7 extra seven miles to counter the additional $4K+ that the Hybrid costs??

Please check my math here and see if I'm on the right track.

Let's say for easy calculations that the Hybrid costs an even $4K more (though it may be more like $4400 or so). And I'm gonna use the stated window sticker EPA numbers of 30 and 23mpg for Hybrid S vs the gasser S. And an even gas price of $4.00/gal and 10,000 miles driven per year - for all these low cost lease folk AND because I only drive 8K-10K/year.

Hybrid:
10,000 miles ÷ 30mpg = 333.33 gallons/yr x $4/gal = $1333 in fuel costs.

Gasser:
10,000 miles ÷ 23mpg = 434.78 gallons/yr x $4/gal = $1739 in fuel costs.

So with the Hybrid at these figures, you'd save $406/year.
Over lease/loan periods (and longer for purchase folk) that would equal:
36 months = $1218
39 months = $1319
42 months = $1421
48 months = $1624
60 months = $2030
72 months = $2436
84 months = $2842
96 months = $3248

I'm stopping at 8 years since that is how long Infiniti (and most manufacturers) warranty the Hybrid components. Sure it may go for 10 - 15 years and 150,000 miles or more, but after 8, you're on your own for any Hybrid repairs.

So as someone that is very interested in a Hybrid, this gives me pause. If I purchase a Q50 Hybrid with the intent of driving it long term to help spread out the costs, then it wouldn't be till year 10 that the extra cost of the Hybrid would paid for in fuel savings. Of course that could be a little less if gas continues to go up, but still probably in that age range just past the Hybrid Warranty period of 8 years.

So is paying the extra for the Hybrid smart? Does it make sense?? :confused:

I'm asking because while I love the idea of it, I'm not sure I would want to still be in the car for the time frame (and I tend to keep cars for a decade or a little longer) that it would pay dividends AND be exposed to the unknown life and possible expense of Hybrid component failures.

Any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
For a fully loaded hybrid sport rwd, the msrp is only $1,650 more than a fully loaded gasser sport rwd.

Hybrid sport rwd with all packages $53,655
Gas sport rwd with all packages $52,005

For me, since I was getting fully loaded, the extra $1,650 msrp was a no brainer (and even less with vpp and even less when you consider lease payment increase)

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Hybrid is faster.

And where I live, hybrid has green cache.

Oh, and who drives 10k/year? 15K is the national average.

And you stop less often for gas - you think I'm joking about this? Elon Musk used some value of your time in his calculation about why a Tesla is a better value even though it costs $100k.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a fully loaded hybrid sport rwd, the msrp is only $1,650 more than a fully loaded gasser sport rwd.

Hybrid sport rwd with all packages $53,655
Gas sport rwd with all packages $52,005

For me, since I was getting fully loaded, the extra $1,650 msrp was a no brainer (and even less with vpp and even less when you consider lease payment increase)
Thanks Aggie.

Not sure how I got up to $4K+, but when you look at the starting points of $43,200 for the gasser S and $46,350 for the Hybrid S, you're starting off at a $3150 difference right there.

But you're spot on with how that shrinks when you load each one up. Putting all the packages & accessories I want on a regular 3.7 Q50S takes it to $53,325. And getting the same stuff on the Hybrid Q50S takes it to $55,175. That's a difference of only $1850 (or your $1650 if you add the $200 spare tire package to the gasser config).

That makes total sense to a 60 month purchase since there in that 4th-5th year you'd hit the break-even point and start saving money with the lower fuel costs.

Though still the unknown of the Hybrid battery & equipment life span past the 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty on those, would probably lead me to look at selling it in year 7. But 3 years of saving $406 a year would be $1218 cheaper than the 3.7. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The killer for me is really loosing all that trunk space.
I hear you Tony! That tiny trunk in the Q50 Hybrid is a let down. I wish it was more like the MKZ Hybrid trunk. It is quite a bit less than its gas models, but still has room above it (kind of like a raised shelf in the back trunk area), which allows the rear seats to still fold down in it. That's a plus for hauling the occasional long item home (e.g. bringing a 2x4 or long pvc pipe back from Home Depot/Lowes on your way home from work).

Infiniti should have looked for a way to lower the hybrid battery like that and get that ability to pass long items through. :(

Reactions: Latrant

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Thanks Aggie.

Not sure how I got up to $4K+, but when you look at the starting points of $43,200 for the gasser S and $46,350 for the Hybrid S, you're starting off at a $3150 difference right there.

But you're spot on with how that shrinks when you load each one up. Putting all the packages & accessories I want on a regular 3.7 Q50S takes it to $53,325. And getting the same stuff on the Hybrid Q50S takes it to $55,175. That's a difference of only $1850 (or your $1650 if you add the $200 spare tire package to the gasser config).

That makes total sense to a 60 month purchase since there in that 4th-5th year you'd hit the break-even point and start saving money with the lower fuel costs.

Though still the unknown of the Hybrid battery & equipment life span past the 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty on those, would probably lead me to look at selling it in year 7. But 3 years of saving $406 a year would be $1218 cheaper than the 3.7. :D
Also, while I think I'll have recouped the additional dollars spent on lease payment just in gas savings alone, I bought the hybrid purely for the additional horsepower and torque.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I first liked the idea of the hybrid too, but ultimately didn't think break even was good enough to justify extra complexity, less trunk, and I was certainly happy enough with the baseline performance. My thoughts about the effects of the Texas heat on the battery life is what gave me some confidence on my decision since I plan to have it for 10 years. I know it's under warranty for awhile but I figured I'd probably end up in between and no way to convince them, particularly with the way they're handling the Nissan Leaf issues so far.

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/ne...m/5418-hybrid-battery-life-decrease-heat.html

Plus with fuel cell technology around the corner I took a gamble that the current hybrid technology may be more outdated than a traditional gas car by the time I'm ready to sell.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The hybrid has non-monetary benefits too:
1) Less visits to the gas station.. saves time in our busy lives :)
2) Quieter when idling
3) For those with a garage, doesn't stink it up when idling
4) Better performance
5) Lower emissions for those environmentally conscious

So it's not just about saving money.

Obviously, there are some negatives too, (trunk size, mushy braking, etc..), but I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Reactions: cvipgo

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Obviously, there are some negatives too, (trunk size, mushy braking, etc..), but I think the positives outweigh the negatives.
While the Hybrid breaking does have a slight mushy feel, to me it is more of just something that you have to get use to working with. The first few degrees of applying the brake pedal is just to activate the regenerative energy reclamation with light braking. Then as you push a little further you're getting into more standard braking behavior. It definitely is a "different" feel. But not that bad once you drive it for a little bit.

My biggest issue is with the trunk size. If they would have just designed the battery a little better to allow a tunnel/pass through area through the center armrest, then at least that would have been a big help with the occasional long item!

Reactions: Latrant

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
The hybrid has non-monetary benefits too:
1) Less visits to the gas station.. saves time in our busy lives :)
2) Quieter when idling
3) For those with a garage, doesn't stink it up when idling
4) Better performance
5) Lower emissions for those environmentally conscious

So it's not just about saving money.

why would the hybrid model have mushy brakes? just curious

·
Registered
98 Posts
Infiniti should have looked for a way to lower the hybrid battery like that and get that ability to pass long items through. :(
Yeah, seems that Tesla has been the only ones to figure that out haha. The Tesla Model S would be my first choice if I came into some money $$$, Its got performance, top tech and even space all in one. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you have to factor in the smaller fuel tank. I did not pay attention to the size of the tank until after I read the manual. But I get gas less, but the smaller tank, because I drive a lot, forces me to the pump still often, just not quite as often as my G37.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The hybrid pays for heavy commuters.

I drive 2300 miles a month.
I am saving $200 or more per month over my G37.
At this rate I'll pay for the hybrid in 8 months.
I plan to keep the car for 5 years.
In that time I estimate I'll save $2400x5= $12,000 over the gasser.

Well worth it!

Reactions: Klamalama

·
Registered
164 Posts
Because of the small trunk with hybrid, I got the gasser. I need trunk space. Just yesterday I had the trunk packed with all kind of stuff.

Since I can't be green with fuel, I opted to eat more beef instead. Evens things out.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think I spend $1500 a year on gas with my g35.
My guess is I would save $500 a year or so.

To me it seems worth a comparison if you wanted a q50 with premium and leather.
The hybrid comes with that and you get the sport suspension.

The cost difference is only a few thousand I thought.
Which you would make up in gas cost.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Depending on your driving conditions, the Hybrid is an even better deal if you spend a lot of time in traffic. For example, I commute on the 405 and if you know anything about the LA area, you know that you spend a lot of time in traffic.

My hybrid actually gets the stated MPG in these conditions (I average 32-34 overall, majority of driving is 405 in traffic and city). In a gas model, I doubt I'd get anywhere near the stated MPG in these conditions (My G37 sure didn't...used to average 17 in that).

When I get lucky with traffic conditions, I actually can get 36 MPG combined...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.