Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I raced a Porsche Boxter S (new model) and after 3-4 comparative runs he didn't want to play anymore. There was a noticeable difference between our cars with him immediately falling behind under full throttle. Porsche claims a 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds, which is probably conservative in typical German fashion. I've had this car for 4 months and have only been edged out by a Camero SS. Everything else has forfeited. I love the way this thing surprises others who want to race.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I raced a Porsche Boxter S (new model) and after 3-4 comparative runs he didn't want to play anymore. There was a noticeable difference between our cars with him immediately falling behind under full throttle. Porsche claims a 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds, which is probably conservative in typical German fashion. I've had this car for 4 months and have only been edged out by a Camero SS. Everything else has forfeited. I love the way this thing surprises others who want to race.
I ran a Camaro SS last year, got him from a dig...til we hit 80...the G was no match for that V8 after that.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran a Camaro SS last year, got him from a dig...til we hit 80...the G was no match for that V8 after that.
I had an '08 G37 Coupe 6MT before my Q50 Hybrid. Loved that car! Almost no one gets the manual unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SS Dyno = 402.3 RWHP and 405.9 RWTQ

You are probably need some mods to tangle with that. :p
We didn't have much opportunity to really compare due to traffic. While I could tell he was faster, it seemed like he had some trouble putting any real distance between himself and my Q50 Hybrid. Again though, it was so short I can't really say for sure.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What year was this Camaro SS?

It would be cool to see what the Chevy SS sedan can do when put up against the Q50. It's heavier but has a V8.
I couldn't tell you the year, but it was the model that started production in 2010.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think the SS And Q50 Hybrid are both around 4,000 pounds right?

The SS probably has as good a torque curve as the Hybrid even with the Electric motor on the Hybrid providing the 200 ft-lb of torque right off the get go.
The SS might even have a better torque curve.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hunter, have you had any issue's where you don't have enough battery for the electric motor when punching it?

I'm just curious.

From my daily driving in standard mode it seems to me when the battery in your center display between the tach and mph gauge gets to 2 bars (or maybe it was 3), the cars charging algorithm really sets it into charge mode and doesn't use the electric motor much until it has charged a bit.

I'm not sure how this is in SPORT mode.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hunter, have you had any issue's where you don't have enough battery for the electric motor when punching it?

I'm just curious.

From my daily driving in standard mode it seems to me when the battery in your center display between the tach and mph gauge gets to 2 bars (or maybe it was 3), the cars charging algorithm really sets it into charge mode and doesn't use the electric motor much until it has charged a bit.

I have wondered this myself. I can tell you in stop and go traffic you can get down below two bars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
151 Posts

I'm just curious.

I have noticed differences in power when the battery is at 2 bars or less (yes I have had it at one bar before). With 3 bars, power has felt as good as full bars.

If you punch it though, it still seems to use the electric motor in almost any situation. The main differences seem to be when you are say... performing a passing maneuver but not flooring it. In this scenario, I have noticed a lack of power when the battery is low because it is only using the gas engine and charging the battery. Of course, the condition can be alleviated by punching it ;)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm just curious.

The car is definitely a bit slower when it doesn't have a full charge, but I have yet to measure the difference. That being said, I read the M35h doesn't go to EV mode above 65 mph and this seems to be my experience with the Q50 Hybrid as well. The reason is because you're not doing a whole lot of braking at highway speeds and you would actually lose efficiency if the car were to charge the battery with the engine and then discharge the battery to drive the car in EV mode with that same energy it got from the engine. Anytime you use one energy source to power another some energy will be lost in the transition. A hybrid's efficiency rests solely on the car's ability to recover kinetic energy that would normally be dissipated (lost) as heat during braking. Because of this, the car charges the battery at freeway speeds and then goes into a sort of homeostasis mode where the battery is neither being charged nor used. Even in standard mode the battery charges up fairly quickly giving you a full battery to use to your advantage if you decide to suddenly punch it. In sport mode, the car typically kicks the car down a gear and increases the revs. This simultaneously increases the rate of replenishment charge the engine gives the battery when not under full throttle. I have cruised at speeds over 100 mph in sport mode and the power meter has been to the far the left (charging) where the engine is both maintaining these high speeds and simultaneously recharging the battery at a rapid rate. If you anticipate that you will be having some fun with others on the freeway, preemptively having the car in sport mode will pretty much guarantee that you will have a full battery on demand for whenever the opportunity presents itself to mop the road with a Porsche. It takes some degree of paying attention, but with little effort, you can make sure you always have 6 beautiful bars of thrust at your disposal on the highway or freeway.

Reactions: papadoc

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think the SS And Q50 Hybrid are both around 4,000 pounds right?

The SS probably has as good a torque curve as the Hybrid even with the Electric motor on the Hybrid providing the 200 ft-lb of torque right off the get go.
The SS might even have a better torque curve.
The hybrid is right at 4,000 lbs. but I'm not sure of the weight of the SS. The higher horsepower of the SS would definitely suggest the SS has a superior torque curve. That being said, I bet my cabin was way quieter during the exchange. ;-)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I read the M35h doesn't go to EV mode above 65 mph and this seems to be my experience with the Q50 Hybrid as well.
I've only done one major freeway drive.
Going downhill it will go into EV above 70+.
Otherwise for me it will run both as fast as I went which probably topped 85-90.

What I noticed is it does, is it will try to keep your power level at break even neutral.
i.e. your chargeing gauge pegged dead center in the middle.
So if your battery doesn't need charging, it seems fine with giving you the EV from your alternator charge on the freeway so your running your Gas and Electric motor at the same time.

I think it all boils down to gas mileage though at the end of the day.
Even on the freeway a push from the electric motor will help the gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Fastest I've had it in EV mode is 85. Downhill on I80 coming home from Tahoe. I haven't tried to get it into EV mode above that speed.

Reactions: papadoc

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Otherwise for me it will run both as fast as I went which probably topped 85-90.

What I noticed is it does, is it will try to keep your power level at break even neutral.
So if your battery doesn't need charging, it seems fine with giving you the EV from your alternator charge on the freeway so your running your Gas and Electric motor at the same time.

Yea, it will go EV/charge if you are coasting or going downhill at speeds over 65, but I notice the same thing as you in that it will not try to charge or use the battery at highway speeds unless you are giving it a push. Again, using a gas engine to charge the battery only to reuse that energy to assist the gas engine will result in a loss of efficiency. Every once in a while I think the computer wigs out and uses the battery when it doesn't need to, but overall, the car seems to like to get the battery fully charged at highway speeds and then leave it be once it is. 85-90?! Get out there and open that thing up! You have a sick fast car! Embarrass some folks out there and have some fun!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I went 150. Smooth as melted butter. ;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.