Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, all you new Q50 Hybrid owners, PLEASE post what kind of actual MPG #'s you are getting out of your car.

Does the thrill of pushing this sports sedan beast to its capabilities quickly drop those MPG numbers BELOW the lowest rated "City" numbers (27-29mpg)?

Or can you drive it "spirited" and still get around 30 total combined MPG??

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I only have a few hundred miles on my car

When I started out the ave mpg was in the teens

It has been creeping up to about 24

Context: I live in Chicago and the driving is traffic, errands, some highway and more traffic. Then combine that with flooring it a few times a day at green lights or passing Chrysler minivans.

I still can't believe the grip this car has both off the line and in sharp curves

·
Registered
260 Posts
I still can't believe the grip this car has both off the line and in sharp curves
Oh shut up :)

I know from experience on Nissans that each time you unplug the battery, the MPG reported by the trip computer is useless for a while.
The last time a shop did that, I was at 3 MPG for a few days. It took about 3 weeks to get back to the previous average.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Okay, all you new Q50 Hybrid owners, PLEASE post what kind of actual MPG #'s you are getting out of your car.

Does the thrill of pushing this sports sedan beast to its capabilities quickly drop those MPG numbers BELOW the lowest rated "City" numbers (27-29mpg)?

Or can you drive it "spirited" and still get around 30 total combined MPG??

Thanks!
In the interest of full disclosure I am turning into a hyper-miler here and wanted the car to maximize my mileage but still have a little fun. After four days of testing so far its good and pretty close to the combined EPA numbers. Nice job Infiniti for not overselling it like Ford.

Got the car with 20 miles on it Monday. Hybrid Q50S (Dunlops on mine). Drive on Eco mode exclusively with a pretty gentle foot trying to keep the pedal in the green zone and as best as possible to start off on battery every time. I am very conservative with the car and power so far. My girlfriend thinks I've gone nuts.

Don't expect 30 MPG spirited. I find jumping on it really kills the numbers. Let's say I've passed a few times with full throttle :)

Over four days and 250+ miles (traveling in LA traffic from Pasadena to Westwood 34 miles each way) with varied city and freeway stop and go (210/101/134/405 or 10) and back hill canyon runs (up and down - like Beverly Glen if you know the area). The route is about 40% city and 60% highway (mostly stop and go when it is) my average is 33.4 MPG.

Same route and week in my prior G37S 6MT averaged 21 MPG.

Not bad for a car with less than 500 miles on it and not broken in yet.

·
Registered
432 Posts
In the interest of full disclosure I am turning into a hyper-miler here and wanted the car to maximize my mileage but still have a little fun. After four days of testing so far its good and pretty close to the combined EPA numbers. Nice job Infiniti for not overselling it like Ford.

Got the car with 20 miles on it Monday. Hybrid Q50S (Dunlops on mine). Drive on Eco mode exclusively with a pretty gentle foot trying to keep the pedal in the green zone and as best as possible to start off on battery every time. I am very conservative with the car and power so far. My girlfriend thinks I've gone nuts.

Don't expect 30 MPG spirited. I find jumping on it really kills the numbers. Let's say I've passed a few times with full throttle :)

Over four days and 250+ miles (traveling in LA traffic from Pasadena to Westwood 34 miles each way) with varied city and freeway stop and go (210/101/134/405 or 10) and back hill canyon runs (up and down - like Beverly Glen if you know the area). The route is about 40% city and 60% highway (mostly stop and go when it is) my average is 33.4 MPG.

Same route and week in my prior G37S 6MT averaged 21 MPG.

Not bad for a car with less than 500 miles on it and not broken in yet.
How on earth do you still enjoy driving with those freeways you're taking. I wouldn't want to get in a car at all on the weekends.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any updates on MPG from Q50 Hybrid owners?

I'm an aggressive/"spirited" driver and I'm worried that that minimum 28 city MPG number would be much less driving like that. Anybody else driving their Hybrid Q50 fairly aggressively and getting that or better so far??

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm currently testing "grandma driving" to see how much MPG I can get out of the hybrid on a tank of gas. I should be done with my current tank of gas by the end of this week. I will post the result when it is done.
My next tank of gas will be testing "aggressive/spirited driving" and see what I can get out of it.

Any updates on MPG from Q50 Hybrid owners?

I'm an aggressive/"spirited" driver and I'm worried that that minimum 28 city MPG number would be much less driving like that. Anybody else driving their Hybrid Q50 fairly aggressively and getting that or better so far??

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hi ronshock.
I have ~1700+ miles on the clock and ~400 miles on the EV odometer and have accrued an average of 30.5 mpg. Since the engine is beyond the suggested break-in period, these days I'm enjoying some more spirited drives. With the exception of NAV and InTouch issues which are occurring more frequently these days, this car is comfortable and a pleasure to drive. Hope this helps you.

Reactions: ronshock

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
30 plus MPG is great and I'll take that any day, which is 50% better than what I get with my current ride. 50% fuel saving is great.
My Q50 Hybrid sport is on it's way from So. Cal port to dealer soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got 596 miles on mine. Averaging about 22.5 in mixed driving. :-( I have the sport hybrid. My commute is 15 miles each way of which about 13 miles are on the highway. I've been mostly in Eco mode but on the streets I sometimes switch to standard or sport.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi ronshock.
I have ~1700+ miles on the clock and ~400 miles on the EV odometer and have accrued an average of 30.5 mpg. Since the engine is beyond the suggested break-in period, these days I'm enjoying some more spirited drives. With the exception of NAV and InTouch issues which are occurring more frequently these days, this car is comfortable and a pleasure to drive. Hope this helps you.
Thanks Matt!

With an AWD S 30.5 is not bad at all.

How long have you been driving it more "spirited"? :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got 596 miles on mine. Averaging about 22.5 in mixed driving. :-( I have the sport hybrid. My commute is 15 miles each way of which about 13 miles are on the highway. I've been mostly in Eco mode but on the streets I sometimes switch to standard or sport.

Randy, that's my fear. When I had a Q50S Hybrid for a two-day test drive (RWD model), I was only getting a total MPG of around 19-20. Of course I was really getting after it at times to really test the car out. And normally I might not be quite THAT aggressive in it. But I fully admit that I have a heavy foot and like to fly on down the road from time to time. And in a fun to drive car like a Q50S, I see that being even a greater temptation than I already have in my old, big, heavy V8 4x4. :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've *never* had a car that gets the stated mileage. And I've never had a car that doesn't overestimate the mileage it gets in it's own trip/dash computer. My Lexus RX450h gets 25mpg vs 29 on sticker vs 26 on dash computer. My 2006 Lexus GS300 got 18mpg vs 22 sticker vs 19.5 on trip computer. My 2003 Audi A4 was about the same. So far, my Q50S-hybrid seems worse. The sticker says 30mpg combined yet I'm getting about 30% worse than that. The trip computer is only overestimating my mpg by about 10% though.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Just got back from a road trip, and this is the perfect thread to start posting in.:) I was not in a hurry to get to Biloxi, so I kept the cruise control on 65(more about that when I post about the trip - and car - in a new thread). First of all, really short trips won't give great gas mileage, because the car can't go into EV mode until the engine is warm. On long, flat stretches on the highway, the car will sometimes go into EV mode, and will also go into that mode if the road descends. On my trip south, the meter read 35.7 when I got to Biloxi, and I filled it up immediately to see what the real mileage was - 34.3! That is about what I figured it would be. I haven't filled up after returning last night, but the car registered 36.1(I ran into about two straight miles of EV travel close to home, when I dropped to 60 mph), so I'm guessing that I'll be around 34.5 when I do fill it up. After break in, I'm hoping it will do even better. If you are constantly changing speeds, you're not going to get close to the EPA estimate, simply because the car won't be in EV mode when accelerating. I also noticed that the li-ion battery will sometimes supply power to the car, even when it's not in EV mode, but that only occurs during steady speed. So, as far as my rating for the hybrid aspect of the car, it gets a gold star.:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a little over 800 miles on my car (took delivery two weeks ago to the day) :rolleyes:

The trip computer is showing 29.8 MPG with a 27 mile each-way commute with a mix of highway and surface street driving. When I checked after each fill-up, I'm actually getting around 28.6 MPG which is roughly the same as my former daily commuter, an '02 4-cyl G20. The same trip in my G convertible, 17.8 MPG which is why its a weekend only car. I drive the Q in a similar fashion as the G20 - point-and-shoot for openings in traffic, left-lane bandit. I don't floor it, but I also don't baby it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I drive the Q in a similar fashion as the G20 - point-and-shoot for openings in traffic, left-lane bandit. I don't floor it, but I also don't baby it.
Yeah that's basically how I drive. I like to accelerate quickly up to the speed limit (sometimes a tad over) and get out in front of the traffic. I'm a "lead" commuter instead of a run with the pack follower. And to me, that's fun driving. I'll back off and coast once up to speed, but I like to get there with a quickness. I think the Hybrid part would help MPG obviously in traffic and once at "cruising altitude". But the additional torque in straight-line acceleration is also what I'm looking for in a car - though I know that will be in all gas mode and bring the MPG down (hence my original question on the hybrid's real numbers).

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a "lead" commuter instead of a run with the pack follower.
Agreed on the driving style. What I have noticed is that once you're cruising at a consistent speed on flat terrain the car will drop into EV mode for a fairly good distance and that helps the MPGs. In the bumper-to-bumper stuff, I try to stay in EV mode as long as possible when there are no "run and gun" opportunities.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have 425+ miles, most of which has been in Eco mode. But I do have several spirited sprints in the mix. As of this morning, I was at 32.2 mpg. The last time (and only time) I filled up since I took possession, the meter read 31.9 and I calculated it at 31.67, so the meter, in my case, is accurate. My best thus far is a 1.8 mile all EV run on the highway at 60mph. According to the meter, I am spending over 30% of my miles in EV mode.

p.s. This is a Sport AWD.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.