Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, relatively new here. I've been trolling these forums for quite some time now and haven't really seen a thread about torque difference between the hybrid and non-hybrid.

I don't pretend to know too much about cars, but from my understanding is that electric engines put out more torque or at least add to torque on hybrid models, so does that mean the Hybrid Q50 will be pushing out more torque than the non-hybrid? If so, does anyone have numbers by chance :D

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Hmmm...havent seen the difference yet but on the site it just says 269 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm for both systems

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...havent seen the difference yet but on the site it just says 269 lb-ft @ 5,200 rpm for both systems
If you look at the standard features for the Q50 Hybrid, where it lists the torque, it actually says N/A. That's why I've been curious about it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hybrid model is a 3.5L vs the 3.7L in the n/a model.

You can basically compare the M35h drive train in place of the Q50 hybrid to the existing 3.7L G37 sedan.
In that case, the engine puts out 258 lb-ft, and the electric motor puts out 199 lb-ft, so is that combined for 457 lb-ft of torque? Or is it always judged separately?

·
Registered
260 Posts
This has been discussed in this thread: http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/en...-performance-expectations-vs-competition.html
The TTAC estimate for the M35h is 410 lb-ft:
the peak number is achieved where the HP and torque curves of the engine and motor meet, making the M35h good for a combined 360HP at 6,500RPM and approximately 410lb-ft at 5200RPM. Note: Our combined torque number is an estimate as Infniti does not officially list a combined rating; the “online” 457lb-ft numbers floating around are not accurate according to Infiniti because when the V6′s 258lb-ft peak does not align with the motor’s 199lb-ft peak.
As to weight:
- M35h: 4136 lbs
- Q50h Premium: 3913 lbs
- Q50h Sport: 3973 lbs
- Q50h Premium AWD: 4085 lbs
- Q50h Sport AWD: 4145 lbs

·
Registered
55 Posts
Electric motors produce peak torque at zero rpm. That means the Q50 Hybrid will jump off the line like a steamed cat. As speed increases the additional weight (a whopping 300 pounds!) begins to negate that push as the motor torque falls off.

The current G37s RWD sprints to 60 in the low 5-second range, typically 5.2 to 5.4 seconds. The Q50 RWD should match it. The Hybrid RWD will probably drop three-tenths off that. I'm guessing it'll break into the high fours with a full battery charge, with a quarter-mile in the mid- to high-13s, with the non-Hybrid RWD in the high-13s to very low 14s.

I love the idea of a performance hybrid. More combined torque is always a good thing!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
One thing know for sure Bout torque is you can never have enough let's put it this way the M 35h is right up there in terms of performance or perceived feel of performance with the M56 ...and that rocket ship makes 417ft/ LBS

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I was watching the video of a Q50 unveiling in Orlando, and the dealer/owner? said that the hybrid system has more than 450 ft-lbs of torque :eek:
This makes me wonder if they are just adding the torque numbers of the engines together, but if that's what I have to look forward to, then my decision is even more solidified and I can't be more excited!

One of the reason I'm so interested in torque is because I always hear from people that BMWs, specifically the 335i, are so fun to drive, and a lot of people say it's because of the torque. I've yet to test drive one to find out, but I plan on test driving all the competition when the Q50 is available for a test run :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
You have to remember though that the Hybrid and gas systems work together and separately of each other depending on the conditions. I think a lot of the speed too has to do with there being no torque converter with the "Direct Response Hybrid" tech.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
So, I was watching the video of a Q50 unveiling in Orlando, and the dealer/owner? said that the hybrid system has more than 450 ft-lbs of torque :eek:
This makes me wonder if they are just adding the torque numbers of the engines together, but if that's what I have to look forward to, then my decision is even more solidified and I can't be more excited!

One of the reason I'm so interested in torque is because I always hear from people that BMWs, specifically the 335i, are so fun to drive, and a lot of people say it's because of the torque. I've yet to test drive one to find out, but I plan on test driving all the competition when the Q50 is available for a test run :D
The truth is, the engine and electric motor, although they work together, don't have overlapping torque curves. Effectively, they are "out of phase" so the effect isn't additive. You can't take all the torque from the engine and add whatever the electric motor has on tap and bam, there's your number.

Essentially the torque number is a moving number over time. The electric motor works at 100% torque all the time (when it's engaged), but the electric motor's contribution varies. The engine's torque changes depending on RPM and other factors, although you can depend on it delivering most of its torque most of the time, since the transmission is geared to keep it near the sweet spot when you're pushing it. Even the navigation system contributes to shift points. Crazy right?

The only thing that irks me is that Infiniti sacrifices torque for horsepower. Torque burns rubber, horsepower wins races, but you want them to be close to equal in any case. Any time an engine is "lopsided" then they are playing tricks with valve timing and cam profiles (VTEC, VVEL, you name it) to give you more hp at higher RPMs. The electric motor in the hybrid makes up for the 3.5's low torque number, so overall, the hybrid is the performance choice. Torque will get you off the red light quicker, and it'll get you out of a corner quicker.

Personally I'm still pleased and surprised by my old '04 with its meager (but balanced) 268/268 numbers. The VQ is just a great little engine, and won Ward's awards for what, 10 years straight? That's a pretty good run. It may be time for something new soon, or maybe the future is supplemental, with smaller powerplants assisted by electric motors and turbos.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts

Holy crap 450 ft lbs?! this is a good chance for infiniti to step in to the same world as the germans usually those cars yield more toque numbers than horsepower. Now with the help of electric motors this is proven to be achievable. can't wait to test drive one. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Someone should just dyno the m35h drivetrain.
Since the electric motor and the engine are supplemental at different times for each other, you'd have a crazy torque curve compared to a consistent horsepower curve. It would probably have dips and spikes in it over time.

Here's some fun perspective...the current M35h ran the quarter mile for Guinness Book of World Records in 13.9x. 0-60 was recorded as 5.5 seconds. Here are some other cars in that neighborhood:

Quarter Mile Times from Zerotosixtytimes:
· 1982 Lamborghini Countach S: 13.9 seconds
· 1998 BMW M3: 13.8 seconds
· 2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante: 13.6 seconds
· 2007 Porsche 911 Carrera: 13.6 seconds
· 1966 Shelby Cobra: 13.5 seconds
· 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO: 13.5 seconds

I think Q50h owners are going to have fun running with Aston Martin owners. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Well if we can't get accurate dyno numbers lets do some number crunch comparison.

These are off 0-60 times (might not be super accurate)

2012 Infiniti M35h (hybrid) 0-60 mph 5.2 Quarter Mile 13.4

2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan 0-60 mph 6.1 Quarter mile 14.4
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport (Manual) 0-60 mph 5.0 Quarter mile 13.5
2008 Infiniti G37 Sport 0-60 mph 5.4 Quarter mile 13.9
2008 Infiniti G37xS 0-60 mph 5.3 Quarter mile 14.0
2008 Infiniti G37 Sport Coupe 0-60 mph 5.2 Quarter mile 13.7
2009 Infiniti G37 Sport Sedan 0-60 mph 5.4 Quarter mile 13.8
2009 Infiniti G37x 0-60 mph 5.1 Quarter Mile 13.5

2010 Infiniti G37 Sport Coupe 0-60 mph 5.2 Quarter mile 13.7

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.