Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a window sticker for a Q50S Hybrid, it states under "PERFORMANCE" that the engine is:

3.5 liter HEV engine
360 horsepower
258 lb-ft(V6),214 lb-ft(electric)torque

So my question is what is the total torque available? I get that when the electric motor is running alone you've got 214 lb-ft available.

But what about when both the gas and electric are combined?

Do you get more than the 258 lb-ft of just the V6? I can't imagine that you could get anything like them both combined (a massive 472 lb-ft) though that would be AWESOME! :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Yes, 472. Now put a tow package on that thing and go pull some stumps out of the ground.

Not sure of the answer. But it definitely feels like more when you're accelerating from a stop.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
It's probably around 400 combined peak torque. You can't simply just add up the numbers because the torque curves won't align max power. I think I saw a magazine article that dynoed it and it was 405 combined.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, 472. Now put a tow package on that thing and go pull some stumps out of the ground.
That made me LOL big time! Too funny!! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's probably around 400 combined peak torque. You can't simply just add up the numbers because the torque curves won't align max power.
Yeah I figured it for sure wouldn't simply be both combined because of the torque curves and also how much the electric adds in true combo mode of both running together.

...I think I saw a magazine article that dynoed it and it was 405 combined.
Aggie, if you find or remember where you saw that, please come back and post the source. Would love to know it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's probably around 400 combined peak torque. You can't simply just add up the numbers because the torque curves won't align max power. I think I saw a magazine article that dynoed it and it was 405 combined.
Hi Q50Aggie, you were very close :) I've updated entry for Q50 in Wikipedia and the combined torque for the hybrid is 403 lb-ft (source links included): Infiniti Q50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't believe the 400+ torque number. I've driven cars with that much torque and I don't think we're getting that at low RPM. We need a true dyno pull with the resulting graphs. Maybe that torque comes in around 3000+ RPM. A true dyno would indicate actual HP and torque at the wheels - where it matters.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is official info released by Infiniti, so on paper it looks like that. The question is how far it is from reality.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't believe the 400+ torque number. I've driven cars with that much torque and I don't think we're getting that at low RPM. We need a true dyno pull with the resulting graphs. Maybe that torque comes in around 3000+ RPM. A true dyno would indicate actual HP and torque at the wheels - where it matters.
Were the cars you drove 4000 pounds? Remember that the Hybrid is quite heavy...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good point. Cars I've recently driven were in the 3600 - 3850 range (if I go waaay back, a certain 1969 455 H.O. GTO had plenty of torque - no clue what it weighed :)
How about a 1964 Ford Thunderbird with the 390 in it? That thing was heavy and one time the drum brakes went out... scary. :D

Anyway, I believe that sometimes we are getting the ~400 TQ number but it is complicated in this car. For example, does the battery charge impact the amount of TQ provided and if so, by how much? Obviously a very low charge will cause the engine to charge the battery but there are a lot of algorithms in place and I have seen it flipflop between charging and utilizing the battery for power quite frequently, even during somewhat brisk accerlation. I have also seen it use the battery for power even when it only had 1-2 bars but it didn't FEEL like I was getting the normal amount of power, even if it was giving me a little bit extra juice...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Torque curves will vary for every car. With the electric in play our cars will have good low end torque but I am confident that the max is reached higher in the rev curve.

Also, did the cars you drove have traction control? When you accelerate hard you can feel the traction control applying the brakes, keeping the hybrid from going out of control. If you turn off the traction control (not recommended) you will feel the real torque of these cars.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There is a Q50H Dyno on YouTube.
It's a bit hard to see the results.
It was around 330 rear wheel hp, and it's showing 315 for torque.

2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid on the dyno - YouTube
330/315 are really solid numbers....this car with a 4.11 gear set and high flow cats and some proper Michelin Pilots and it would be an absolute monster....probably roast tires all thru first and second gears.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm in no way an expert on this but from what I have read about other electric powered cars, torque figures on electric motors are totally flat from 0 rpm on up, no curve at all. Read about the Tesla Model S for example. That's why it's hard to calculate real torque numbers on paper and only a real dyno report would be valid. My "seat of the pants" calculation would guess at something around 340-360, my supercharged Foose truck dyno'd at 450 ft lbs and it exhibits way more G-Force on you when you mash the happy pedal than my Q does.

·
Registered
432 Posts
330 horsepower and 315 torque from dyno are power figures from the wheels right?
So the car is 330whp which you can convert to crank horsepower (engine HP)...that makes it around 370-390 HP depending on how you calculate/what calculator you use.

Monster!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Pretty good wHP/TQ # provide that it give good mpg # in return.
Now, I guess I can brag about my Q50S Hybrid belong to the 300/300 club :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
This calculator (Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator) shows even more.

330 hp (335 PS) at the wheels = 395 hp (400 PS) at the crankshaft (for RWD).

The question is what such dynos at US typically show just after the measurement ? Wheels power or crank power ? In EU you basically get results calculated/converted to crank power. If it is at the crankshaft it is little disappointing comparing to advertised 360 hp (364 PS) and 403 lb-ft (546 Nm). If it is at the wheels then it is indeed a monster !

I asked author of the video on YT. Let's see what he answers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.