Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know how some of you are deciding between the Hybrid and Std versions. Is it cost, performance, trunk space, no spare or other factors?

When I do a fully loaded Q50 Premium AWD vs a similarly equipped Hybrid, I get just under a $2000 difference. If I figured the average mpg for the std at 22 and 31 for the Hybrid I get a savings of about $550/yr at 10K miles and $650/yr at 12K miles. My assumptions used $4 and $4.25/gal premium here in California which I am sure is higher than many other states.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I went for Hybrid since costs should justify itself in the long run! I believe we dont even need to use 91 on the Q50 and 89 would suffice(forgot where I got that info from) so that alone would already save u some money and since there are just a few $$$ difference I just went for it! The smaller trunk space and absence of fold down rear seats kinda hurt though but I think these are situational and would actually be just fine during normal days! I will still have to see how the absence of the spare tire will affect me since I have AAA anyways!

Reactions: tt_45

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The Only costly item on Hybrid is the Lithium batteries (if you have to replace them) for electric motor.

I would go for Hybrid Sport AWD. Cost differential is recoverable in 4 years.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
The Only costly item on Hybrid is the Lithium batteries (if you have to replace them) for electric motor.

I would go for Hybrid Sport AWD. Cost differential is recoverable in 4 years.
We'll have to see how that goes! It should be a long time till that gives out and hopefully by that time there could be newer types batteries or at least they would cost less than they currently are!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
There are several reasons for going with the hybrid:

1) I plan on keeping the car for at least six years. The extra cost spread
over that time is negligible.

2) The car is more powerful.

3) I make many short trips, and therefore will be using the electric power
a great deal of the time.

4) When I do take a long trip, I'll just smile as I am getting around 33 mpg
(or more) on the highway.

5) The less gas I use, the more I'm helping the U.S.A. be less dependent
on OPEC.

6) And every time I go somewhere, using the electric power at the start,
I'll be thinking of how I'm thumbing my nose at the oil companies, and
especially, the speculators who manipulate the market.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
There are several reasons for going with the hybrid:

1) I plan on keeping the car for at least six years. The extra cost spread
over that time is negligible.

2) The car is more powerful.

3) I make many short trips, and therefore will be using the electric power
a great deal of the time.

4) When I do take a long trip, I'll just smile as I am getting around 33 mpg
(or more) on the highway.

5) The less gas I use, the more I'm helping the U.S.A. be less dependent
on OPEC.

6) And every time I go somewhere, using the electric power at the start,
I'll be thinking of how I'm thumbing my nose at the oil companies, and
especially, the speculators who manipulate the market.
Listen to this man... He speaks the truth ... Oh and the reason I'm getting the Hybrid is MMMOOOOOAAAAAARRRR PPPPPPPPOOOOOOOWWWWWWWAAAAAA...:D

·
Registered
395 Posts
My early research suggested the mpg of the gas Q50 (non-hybrid) was 29/31. My dealer has suggested these values are about right but will not commit to the numbers because they have not been released by Infiniti.

I don't know if these values are correct. If they are, then the advantages of a hybrid is minimal.

My guess is that Infiniti will upgrade their engine with direct injection. This alone would account for some mpg gains but not sure it would become 29/31 as my dealer has suggested.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
29/31 of the gas model? LOL. That sure would be some miraculous engineering from the same powertrain in the G37 that currently provides 19/27. Same transmission and everything, although the transmission has been remapped heavily, unless they made major changes to the ratios and final drive, you can expect about the same numbers. There's no idle stop/start or cylinder deactivation that I'm aware of...so yeah, the gas Q50 should post the same or slightly better numbers.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am inclined to agree with you. One can only hope that a combination of gdi, 7 speed trans, perhaps higher compression ratio, and drive style control will all add up to better numbers. I guess we will find out in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
They didn't add gdi yet. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

I've been living with 17/24 in my
04 sedan for so long even 19/27 will be a welcome improvement.
Ur right no GDI that is my prediction for the mid cycle refresh ... I have been averaging 20-21 so the hybrid will be an improvement ....

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Ur right no GDI that is my prediction for the mid cycle refresh ... I have been averaging 20-21 so the hybrid will be an improvement ....
Here's a scary thought, and it probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I've been reading up on Nissan's Renault partnership, and it looks like they're wanting to add Renault's little engines and Mercedes' 4 diesels to more of their cars. I sure hope they aren't giving up on the VQ series. There has to be a successor with more power and better fuel economy right? Seems like the VQ has been pretty stagnant for a long time. Adjusted the high cam profiles for more top end power while sacrificing torque and maintaining the same displacement. That's the main difference between the old VQ35 and the current VQ37VHR right?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Here's a scary thought, and it probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I've been reading up on Nissan's Renault partnership, and it looks like they're wanting to add Renault's little engines and Mercedes' 4 diesels to more of their cars. I sure hope they aren't giving up on the VQ series. There has to be a successor with more power and better fuel economy right? Seems like the VQ has been pretty stagnant for a long time. Adjusted the high cam profiles for more top end power while sacrificing torque and maintaining the same displacement. That's the main difference between the old VQ35 and the current VQ37VHR right?
Right... However those engines would be more in line with a G 25 successor ... There would or maybe I should say should still be a mid power and high power alternative via the 3.7 or whatever it might be and the IPL ...basically I feel like they will offer 3 to 4 engine variations to compete with BMW ... A N/A 4 or turbo 4 to compete with the 320i/328i a 3.7 variant to compete with the 335 I, and a hi-po v6 /turbo/twin turbo v6 to compete with the m3/4... I also feel like the VQ is GDI cylinder deactivation and a turbo or twin turbo away from being back on the Wards 10 best engines list for another 10 + years ...

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So is the hybrid a plug-in, or does it get all of its energy from the gas engine. As I see it, the electric pretty much gets rid of around town low mileage. Is the gas engine always running in idle in the background until it is needed? Any links with more info on the Hybrid would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
It's not a plug in. The electric motor is charged every time you step on the brake. I'm not sure if it also is recharged when coasting(as some other hybrids are). I believe the gas engine shuts off when stopped(at a light, stop sign, etc.), and then kicks in when the car reaches a certain speed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hybrid Cost analysis

I'd like to know how some of you are deciding between the Hybrid and Std versions. Is it cost, performance, trunk space, no spare or other factors?

When I do a fully loaded Q50 Premium AWD vs a similarly equipped Hybrid, I get just under a $2000 difference. If I figured the average mpg for the std at 22 and 31 for the Hybrid I get a savings of about $550/yr at 10K miles and $650/yr at 12K miles. My assumptions used $4 and $4.25/gal premium here in California which I am sure is higher than many other states.
I posted this previously:

Q50 MPG and cost of Hybrid vs Non Hybrid- worth it?
Based on the info in a prior post:

Hybrid MPG might be 37 MPG

Non Hybrid MPG is likely close to G37 of 19/27 or 23 overall.

18 gallon tank at $3.99 a gallon is $71.82 for either version using premium fuel.

13,000 miles a year for each.

Hybrid Range is 666 miles (hmmm) while the non hybrid range is 414 miles, if you exhaust the tanks.

Non Hybrid costs $2,255.22 for 31.40 tanks to fill for 13,000 miles (what I drive a year or so).

Hybrid costs $1,401.20 for 19.51 tanks per year to 13,000 (almost 12 fewer fill ups).

Difference is $854.02 per year. Takes about 2.34 years to make up the difference IF the hybrid option is only (and seems to be) $1675 plus tax, which is 7.75% where I'm located (NE Ohio). That's about $1898 with tax or so.

So, I keep my cars 8-12 years so a hybrid is worth it to me.

Your tax, miles driven and gas costs may differ based on locale.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This helps alot. I am now looking more seriously at the Hybrid.
What are the creature comforts that the Hybrid is lacking?
Trunk space of 14 vs 18 ft3.
It looked like the seats were a little different. The Hybrid has 8 way and the Premium has 10 way. (how many ways can you adjust a seat?) Also looked like the premium Touring had full leather and the Hybrid maybe partial leather seats.
Any other items on a fully loaded non sport unit vs a Q50 Premium?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.