Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out that the sales training session for the dealership was today, so I went with notebook in hand and got there about a half hour after it started. No one asked me to leave(at first), so I joined the others, listened, and took notes. I wish I had had the training session workbook, but that would have been asking too much. It seems that what I missed was mostly about the styling, so it didn't seem to be much of a loss. The car is the same one that InfinitiChick saw in Nashville yesterday(Liquid Platinum Sport). I agree with her about the color - it is very bland to me, almost a non-shiny flat surface. However, the following are points that I found interesting. Maybe some on here could fill in an additional point or two about something I don't know:

1) The seats are called "Weightless Comfort Seats." I'm assuming it's the same technology that Nissan has for their "Zero Gravity Seats" in the Altima. The sales people who sat in the car said it was very comfortable.

2) The rear head room is increased by giving the head liner a sculpted look.

3) There were six footers in the front, and there was a very good amount of rear seat leg and knee room. Very impressive.

4) The rear doors are much wider than in the G37, and the seat is flatter, for much easier ingress and egress(sorry for the fancy words, but those are the proper terms. :))

5) The maple trim looked beautiful. There are several layers of lacquer on it.

6) I have always liked the interior of my G, but after driving home, I couldn't help but think how "basic" the materials are compared to the Q50. Materials and design are hugely improved. The stitching looks like something out of a Mercedes or Audi.

7) The arm rest in front is definitely a little lower than in the G. I don't know if it will be more comfortable than the G, as I think mine is perfect right now.

8) The chassis is ALL NEW. I capitalized that because the demonstrator made a big deal about there being ZERO shared parts with the G.

9) The trunk was huge. It was easily more than three feet from front to back. I do wish they had a hybrid there, though, as I'd like to see its trunk, and how it is shaped.

10) You don't need to push the button on the handle to unlock the doors. It senses the key in your pocket. You just pull the handle and it unlocks.

The rest of this concerns the technology:

11) With the adaptive lighting, when you turn, the headlight closest to the turn will swivel in that direction if you're going at least 22 mph. I may have misunderstood that though, since it would make more sense to me if you are going slower than 22 mph. Oh, well. Also, the headlights are automatic. On a dark road with no one coming towards you, the lights will go into high beam mode, and then go back to low beam when a car is coming or you are in a lighted area.

12) The adaptive lane control keeps the car going in a straight line without the driver having to make small adjustments in steering because of unevenness in the road.

13) With the navigation unit, the car will "see" that a hill is coming, and will automatically up or down shift as you enter the hill. I'm not sure about this nanny system - I prefer to do that myself. I'm sure this is one of the things that can be deactivated.

14) The car has five drive modes, instead of four, which she said was in the JX. The added one is "personal," which you can program to your liking. Except for "Snow Mode," I don't know what the other three are called. I'm sure someone on here can fill that in for us.

15) On the 5" screen, between the two large dials in front of the driver, they added another mode besides MPG, Temperature, and the like. It coordinates with the navigation unit, and displays the turns coming up, based upon the route that you gave to the navigation unit.

The next couple of items refer to the hybrid:

16) The net horsepower is now officially 360. (Sounds good to me)

17) It will go up to two miles on electric power alone when starting out, as long as you don't "step on it."

18) It can go into "sailing mode"(engine off) when coasting, as long as you're not going more than 65 mph. From what she said, it sounded like it "could" go into that mode, not that it would all the time.

That's all I got before I was told I couldn't continue there. Actually, I almost was able to. The presenter, a really cute, petite lady in her 20's(Hey, I may be 68, but I'm not dead!:D), told people to go to the room where they were going to demonstrate the Infiniti Touch system. When I told her that I wasn't a salesman, she said that it was all right, and gave me one of the workbooks that everyone else had. I was about to go into the room, when an older man, whom I assume was her boss, asked me if I were a salesman. When I told him no, he said I couldn't go in. When I told him that the presenter told me I could, he left. A couple of minutes later, the lady came up to me, apologized that she misled me, and took away the workbook. Oh well - it was an interesting hour. I hope this wasn't too long, but I wanted to tell you as much as I found out.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Thanks all that info bro! Getting me excited for my hybrid sport and probably a test drive tonight! :D

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
15) On the 5" screen, between the two large dials in front of the driver, they added another mode besides MPG, Temperature, and the like. It coordinates with the navigation unit, and displays the turns coming up, based upon the route that you gave to the navigation unit.
Awesome! For me, that makes up for the lack of head up display. Navigation directions in the instrument cluster is good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I found out that the sales training session for the dealership was today, so I went with notebook in hand and got there about a half hour after it started. No one asked me to leave(at first), so I joined the others, listened, and took notes. I wish I had had the training session workbook, but that would have been asking too much. It seems that what I missed was mostly about the styling, so it didn't seem to be much of a loss. The car is the same one that InfinitiChick saw in Nashville yesterday(Liquid Platinum Sport). I agree with her about the color - it is very bland to me, almost a non-shiny flat surface. However, the following are points that I found interesting. Maybe some on here could fill in an additional point or two about something I don't know:

1) The seats are called "Weightless Comfort Seats." I'm assuming it's the same technology that Nissan has for their "Zero Gravity Seats" in the Altima. The sales people who sat in the car said it was very comfortable.

2) The rear head room is increased by giving the head liner a sculpted look.

3) There were six footers in the front, and there was a very good amount of rear seat leg and knee room. Very impressive.

4) The rear doors are much wider than in the G37, and the seat is flatter, for much easier ingress and egress(sorry for the fancy words, but those are the proper terms. :))

5) The maple trim looked beautiful. There are several layers of lacquer on it.

6) I have always liked the interior of my G, but after driving home, I couldn't help but think how "basic" the materials are compared to the Q50. Materials and design are hugely improved. The stitching looks like something out of a Mercedes or Audi.

7) The arm rest in front is definitely a little lower than in the G. I don't know if it will be more comfortable than the G, as I think mine is perfect right now.

8) The chassis is ALL NEW. I capitalized that because the demonstrator made a big deal about there being ZERO shared parts with the G.

9) The trunk was huge. It was easily more than three feet from front to back. I do wish they had a hybrid there, though, as I'd like to see its trunk, and how it is shaped.

10) You don't need to push the button on the handle to unlock the doors. It senses the key in your pocket. You just pull the handle and it unlocks.

The rest of this concerns the technology:

11) With the adaptive lighting, when you turn, the headlight closest to the turn will swivel in that direction if you're going at least 22 mph. I may have misunderstood that though, since it would make more sense to me if you are going slower than 22 mph. Oh, well. Also, the headlights are automatic. On a dark road with no one coming towards you, the lights will go into high beam mode, and then go back to low beam when a car is coming or you are in a lighted area.

12) The adaptive lane control keeps the car going in a straight line without the driver having to make small adjustments in steering because of unevenness in the road.

13) With the navigation unit, the car will "see" that a hill is coming, and will automatically up or down shift as you enter the hill. I'm not sure about this nanny system - I prefer to do that myself. I'm sure this is one of the things that can be deactivated.

14) The car has five drive modes, instead of four, which she said was in the JX. The added one is "personal," which you can program to your liking. Except for "Snow Mode," I don't know what the other three are called. I'm sure someone on here can fill that in for us.

The next couple of items refer to the hybrid:

16) The net horsepower is now officially 360. (Sounds good to me)

17) It will go up to two miles on electric power alone when starting out, as long as you don't "step on it."

18) It can go into "sailing mode"(engine off) when coasting, as long as you're not going more than 65 mph. From what she said, it sounded like it "could" go into that mode, not that it would all the time.

That's all I got before I was told I couldn't continue there. Actually, I almost was able to. The presenter, a really cute, petite lady in her 20's(Hey, I may be 68, but I'm not dead!:D), told people to go to the room where they were going to demonstrate the Infiniti Touch system. When I told her that I wasn't a salesman, she said that it was all right, and gave me one of the workbooks that everyone else had. I was about to go into the room, when an older man, whom I assume was her boss, asked me if I were a salesman. When I told him no, he said I couldn't go in. When I told him that the presenter told me I could, he left. A couple of minutes later, the lady came up to me, apologized that she misled me, and took away the workbook. Oh well - it was an interesting hour. I hope this wasn't too long, but I wanted to tell you as much as I found out.
Where do I begin?!?! First, wooot! I got a shout out in your review. haha Doing a happy dance.

Love your review and detailed assessment of the Q50 and options!

I'm glad you agree (and I'm not crazy! I mean, I'm krazi but not crazy) that the platinum was dull and boring!! I have NO idea why they chose that color to ship across the country for the reveals!!!

Weightless comfort seats?? Is that just in sports or in premium package as well? I've got plenty of weight to help with the weightlessness. ;oP

It's funny how you looked around at your G37 interior on the way home and thought it looked just "ok" compared to the Q50....I did the same thing. ha I currently have the aluminum and really want the maple wood as I think it looks more sophisticated and luxury than the aluminum. Of course even with the wood, it still has some aluminum in it, so guess I get both.

Soooo what you are saying is the trunk is large enough to put in two bodies instead of one?? (just kidding) But seriously, maybe I won't have to utilize the folding rear seats after all...which is something that was a MUST HAVE on my next car.

Since I'm a tech gadget geek, I love that I no longer have to click the button on the door to unlock it. Awesome!! I found it so interesting how many luxury lines don't offer the keyless start so I'm sure even fewer offer this little nugget of awesomeness.

Technology section of your review, can you note which are covered under the Deluxe Touring package versus the Technology package of Gas not Hybrid (since all combined on Hybrid). I will be getting the touring package but not sure I will spring for the technology package. I assume 13-15 are for covered by touring/nav packages but just want to double check.

Hey, if you were in California (or extremely wealthy), no one would think twice of a 68 year old man dating/married to a petite, attractive, 20 something gal.

Congrats getting the inside scoop and "sneaking" into the training session.

Great job!! So are you more or less excited/sure of your purchase of the Q50?? What does a guy in Chattanooga need AWD for??? haha

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I knew the training session was today, so I just walked in with notebook in hand, and joined the others that were standing there. I guess the giveaway to the Mr. Meanie was that I didn't have the workbook in hand.

As far as my G's interior looking basic, I do have the wood trim in it, and I really like the way the center stack looks. However, comparing the look of the doors, it's not even close. The Q50 is a huge improvement. One thing that I thought of as the tall men were sitting in the car is that it looked more "snug" than the G, but I have a feeling that's just because I was on the outside looking in. Hopefully, I'll find out soon.

At least two bodies in the trunk!;) For those old enough to remember when the GCoupe first came out: They actually gave a diagram showing how to put two golf bags in the trunk. Well, I'd guess at least 6 to 8 would easily fit here. The opening is wide, and the height is much more than adequate. The smaller trunk is something I'll just have to put up with in the hybrid, though it still is larger than the G's trunk - but not even a pass through. :(

As far as what's in the separate packages, this is from the build it site:

https://www.infinitiusa.com/all-new-q50/build/

Just go through it, and when you get to the options packages, just expand them - they detail all that is in them.

Yes, I want AWD. Two years ago, we had 8" of snow in one day, though that's very rare here. However, I have seen the "slip" light go on in very wet weather, and I know that the AWD kicks in at that point. Also, I've driven on a muddy road before, and was glad I had the AWD. And yes, I'm still happy to be getting the Q50. I've had my G for 6 1/2 years, the longest I've ever owned a car - time for an upgrade(remember, WTF!:D).

gbert: If you check out the cars, let us know what you think of the trunk's size and shape. Again, sure wish it had a pass through.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Nice write up selzini, but let me make sure I got this correct.....
You walked in and crashed the sales meeting?? That is the bomb. You sales meeting crusher you!

Does this remove anyone besides myself of something that would be straight out of a Vince Vaughn movie? LOL

Reactions: gbert15

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice write up selzini, but let me make sure I got this correct.....
You walked in and crashed the sales meeting?? That is the bomb. You sales meeting crusher you!

Does this remove anyone besides myself of something that would be straight out of a Vince Vaughn movie? LOL
Yeah, but one difference: there were no nude ladies there. :D

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Thanks for tinfoil Selzini ... Def a lil worried about the width on the car on the interior but we shall all see very soon ...

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Nice! You already had a good grasp of all the stuff. Now you know more than many of the salespeople out there.

There's really no info in those training sessions that is private. The only thing they may not want you to discuss is how we talk about the competition internally. You basically got the most in-depth customer presentation you could have. And usually the trainers are superb in terms of explaining the tech.

Now I'm wondering how many customers are going to come crash our training tomorrow here in Redwood City. It will be from 1-4pm.

Better to come at 5 when we'll have wine and snacks.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now you know more than many of the salespeople out there.

Forgot to mention this:

I opened my mouth and told them that Infiniti had released the hybrid highway mileage figure - 36 mpg. The trainers hadn't heard that, and one of the people there tried to tell me that there was no official Infiniti statement. I had to show him on his cell phone the site that we got downloaded with the information.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.