Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me, or does the EV motor not run as often as it should?

testing it in around my house, in eco mode, very light throttle increase keeps the car going in EV mode. god forbid you touch the pedal little harder to go from 5mph to 10 mph and engine kicks in... I was hoping in EV mode the battery would stay on longer for better savings.

or I don't know what I'm talking about, and it does this to charge the battery to 100% and accelerate the car and it all makes sense. lol

I'm curious what kind of range and power the car would have if we strictly drove it in EV mode.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Is the car warmed up?
When I leave for work in the morning I don't get EV mode for at least few minutes.
I never get it when leaving my 25MPH streets when I first leave.
I always get it in the 25MPH streets comming home...by then the car is obviously warmed up and has charge.

As for staying in EV mode, you can kind of guage as well when it will kick in the engine.
When your power needle moves to the far right on the white color side it will kick in the engine.
You can tinker with that by very lightly pressing the gas when in EV mode.
You willl see the power usage needle slowly move to the right until it is near the end and then the gas engine turns on.

It really doesn't take a ton of peddle to kick in the engine.

The electric motor is what.. mid 60's horsepower and around 200 ft/lb of torque.
It's not going to accelerate the 4000 pound car very much on it's own.
It looks to me like it's for a few things, no engine at a light, a push off the line at a stop light, cruising speed (below 63MPH), and when your stopping it shuts th eengine off to.

You can try the other trick to kick into EV mode.
Say you want to be going 40MPH.
Get the car up to 45MPH and take your foot of the gas.
Some people around here call it slingshoting into EV.
Punch it over your wanted speed and then foot off the gas.

I just drive normally to work and am getting around 33%-35% EV.
The car seems to figure it out just fine.
I don't slingshot myself or try anyting else to force it into EV.

The only place you might get very little EV is if your on the freeway.
If your cruising at say 75MPH unless your going downhill it will not drive in EV.
But it will use the electric motor in comination with your gas engine to help MPG when on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Q50 hybrid use a small battery. It is mainly design to assist acceleration to give you more horsepower and torque. The fuel saving is a bonus.
Here are some tips to get good MPG #:
1. Drive in Standard mode and try to put it in EV driving mode any opportunity you can.
2. When accelerate from complete stop; accelerate until you pass the speed limit and let go the gas pedal so it can go into EV driving mode. Once you saw the EV light turn on, immediately hold steady the gas pedal to keep it driving in EV.
3. If there is no traffic in the freeway, try accelerate to 80mph or more and let go the gas pedal and let it roll in EV. Once the RPM drop under 70mph, hold steady the gas pedal to maintain in EV as long as you can.

If strictly in EV mode, I think you only get 67hp. The range in a full battery is depend how fast you drive in EV. I heard someone manage to get 3 miles. But, I only manage to get 1.2 miles so far.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Even when the engine is running, it tends to stay at lower RPM when the electric is also supplying power, thereby providing better fuel economy, in addition to extra power when you need it. Not sure how many people notice it but I have been in a loaner (3.7) for a week now and you really begin to notice the difference.

For example, at the same speed and location on the highway, my hybrid will be at a very low RPM even when the engine is running but the 3.7 runs higher. Andrew mentioned this at the end of his post.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting... thanks guys!

Andrew, you say 63mph. is that a specific speed for the EV mode?

infinitiplus one, 1 to 3 miles on EV mode? I had no idea!!!! I figured at least 5-10 miles in strictly EV mode.

I guess I need to out of my head the fact that this hybrid is not like a accord/prius hybrid. It's primary mission isn't fuel efficiency, but performance booster instead. you just benefit from the ev when it kicks in.

how do I see how many EV miles I have driven? I thought there was a odometer that shows many miles miles I drove in EV mode. would be pretty cool to know how many miles I drove on a tank of gas with the engine miles vs ev miles.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I read the 63MPH thing somewhere.
Or at least I think it ws 63.

But if you going downhill at all it will go into EV at faster speeds from the downhill momentum.
Like if your on a freeway with rolling holls going 75.. going downhill you will go into EV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read the 63MPH thing somewhere.
Or at least I think it ws 63.

But if you going downhill at all it will go into EV at faster speeds from the downhill momentum.
Like if your on a freeway with rolling holls going 75.. going downhill you will go into EV.
I assume best way would be to put it on cruise control. it should use minimal throttle to continue at given speed.

I wish 63 was bit higher... speed limit here on the highway is 65. most people drive 65-75. I find 70-73 to be the perfect highway speed. would be speed if it continued at that speed in EV mode!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think it's ok Z06.
Like Kazilla pointed out it still uses the electric motor on the freeway and looks like it's barely using the gas motor at times.
Even if your not in EV mode its still squeezing our better MPG for you with the electric motor.

The freeway though is the one spot where the Hybrid doesnt clobber the 3.7L on MPG.
3.7L 2WD is rated at 29 on the freeway and the 2WD Hybrid is 34.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Even 3 miles is really pushing it. I kind of doubt that person claim. So far, the best I can do is about 1.2 miles. 5 miles, I don't see it.
You can add the EV odometer from ... (craps can't recall from my head).
It's somewhere in the Intouch where you add more display information to your VID screen (the screen next to your RPM gauge).

infinitiplus one, 1 to 3 miles on EV mode? I had no idea!!!! I figured at least 5-10 miles in strictly EV mode.

how do I see how many EV miles I have driven? I thought there was a odometer that shows many miles miles I drove in EV mode. would be pretty cool to know how many miles I drove on a tank of gas with the engine miles vs ev miles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
On Straight parts of the highway on my daily commute, I've been on EV mode for 4 or 5 continuous miles and about 75-80MPH, as it has been mentioned before the trick is to go over your desired speed, floor it as you wish, and then let go off the gas, it will kick the EV on, and will stay like that until you get heavy on the gas pedal, so I've been able to even press the gas pedal a little to keep my speed and like I mentioned above, the most I've been is about 5 miles. However, this is not an easy task, as it depends a lot on traffic and other road type and conditions.

You will quickly learn how to maximize your MPG, I did in about 3 days, and as you can see in this other thread, I've been averaging over 43% of EV miles (over 1025 miles as of now in 2340 miles I have in the car) with an average of 33MPG, I've filled my tank just 5 times since I bought my car in November 9, and it'ss giving me about 480-500 miles per tank, what else you can ask for a car with this amount of raw power?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I guess I need to out of my head the fact that this hybrid is not like a accord/prius hybrid. It's primary mission isn't fuel efficiency, but performance booster instead. you just benefit from the ev when it kicks in.
yeah, definitely not the average Hybrid Car, this one is something special, and very fun to drive...:D

Press the buttons on your lower right on your wheel, it goes through the different options and information, if you don't see it there, then just go to Menu and settings and I don;t remember specifically the one that controls that, but look around each one and you will see that you have the option to show or not show this feature and a lot of others.

Look at this screenshot I posted in the other thread to see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I still don't see how you can get 4 or 5 miles on strictly EV even with rolling for a good distance, then EV driving to maintain it. But, I do take your word for it since you are pretty good at it.

On Straight parts of the highway on my daily commute, I've been on EV mode for 4 or 5 continuous miles and about 75-80MPH,

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I still don't see how you can get 4 or 5 miles on strictly EV even with rolling for a good distance, then EV driving to maintain it. But, I do take your word for it since you are pretty good at it.
EV for me at certain speeds will drive with the power needle on the first white bar.
Like it's not using much power.
I imagine that that get you pretty far if you can hook it like that.

Of course you need a road without stop lights and without traffic. :)

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
erasat seems to be the king of ev mode.

Z06, do you even own your car yet? Are you doing it wrong? Yes, most likely. In my experience both with clients and with my own hybrid, there's a break-in period for both the car and the driver. You'll learn to better manager getting ev miles from the car, and it seems better able to get good mileage as it goes past 1200 or 1500 miles.

This is not a Prius. This car can actually accelerate. But hot acceleration costs you in gas.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I noticed Standard power train mode gets you into EV the fastest and most often.
The best way to get into EV is letting go of the gas. It will drop right into EV.

Also keep in mind the car won't go into EV mode right away after a start. You have to drive for maybe 3-5 minutes. After your first stop light or stop sign, the EV mode will start kicking in more frequently and stay on longer.

Don't expect to stay in EV unless you are on a flat road or going down hill. Going up hill in EV mode, you will lose speed so if you are still on the gas trying to maintain a certain speed, the engine will kick in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, like I said it's very rare but I've done it twice already, last time I thought on record it but thought about it too late, next time I think I have the chance to do it, mostly on the same area, I'll be ready.

In a summary, my daily commute in the morning, going to work is a 23 miles trip of those about 20 are highway and with heavy traffic, but on this 2 occasions the traffic has been verylight where you can maintain a constant speed so I just hit the gas and let the EV kicked in at 85mph more or less and then just kept with a steady light foot the speed at about 75-80 mph, and basically nobody to interrupt the flow I managed to get the around 5 miles. I have done this experiment a couple of more times and have managed to get about 4 miles a couple of more times.

Again, kind of hard but very possible if the conditions are right, take a look at my total EV miles and you will see that I'm getting a lot of them in my daily 45-46 miles commute.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.