Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for my bad writing because English is not my 1st Language(German). I have been driving a G37 Sedan for the last few years and is deciding which new car to replace it with. I had the great luck of actually driving my friend's brand new 328I since she is away on vacation, my Aunt brought a Lexus IS 250 F Sport, so more luck, and I borrowed a Q50 from another friend. I'm not a professional writer but wanted to share my experiences.

Exterior:
This is mainly a preference thing but to me the IS and Q50 blow the 3 Series out of the water. The radical design on the IS is something that catches eyes everywhere and the Q50 is one of the most beautiful looking rides in it's segment. The IS looks amazing at night with the headlight designs lighting up the grill. The 3 Series seem rather bland in comparison to it's Japanese counterparts. But once again this is all down to preference.
My personal rankings:
Lexus IS 250 F Sport
Infiniti Q 50
Bmw 328I

Interior:
Once again the Japanese counterparts to the 3 Series is far superior. The 3 Series I drove costed my friend in the high 30's+tax and it look like the interior of an Dodge Charger in terms of quality. The IS had ample leg room for a car in it's segment and looks very nice. The Q50 is even a tier above imo. Now the issue with the IS is that to me the cup holders is way too small, this is actually an inconvenience because I ended up spilling my drink multiple times. The other thing is that the IS's sun roof/moon roof is not that practical to me(but this could have something to do with me getting used to the car).
Overall, both 3 Series and IS pale in comparison to the Q50's room,design,and overall quality interior.
My personal rankings:
Q50
IS
3 Series

Performance:
First off, everyone here probably knows that the IS and 328i are not fast cars. They weren't meant to be. They are simply Entry Level Luxury Sedans with sporty elements. That's it.
In terms of the handling though, both cars deliver unbelievable results. Great steering, great turning, and overall just smooth rides. You are not gonna be booming past anyone but the nimble and luxurious feel is something to be admired. I'm not gonna talk too much about the Q50'S performance but it is without a doubt superior to both sedans.
The funny thing is, I feel that the Q50 is actually WORST than my G37 Sedan in terms of performance.....I feel the G37 is more performance oriented.(Could just be me though)

Ranking:
Q50
3 SERIES
IS

Pricing:
Without a doubt this is where the Q50(IMO) falls behind Lexus and BMW. Lexus IS is by far the best deal. 328I falls closely behind(if you are not too concerned about useless packages) and the Q50 is behind both.

I feel they made the Q50 too expensive and it really should have been a few grand cheaper.
My rankings:
IS
3 SERIES
Q50

Overall all 3 are great cars from great brands. BMW obviously got the edge because it's the world famous German Brand and Lexus has been dominant over the last decade. That being said, most people know by now Infiniti is well on it's way up and despite the fact it isn't quite a 'Tier 1' Brand yet, it's getting very close.

My pick: Infinti Q50

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm curious to hear more elaboration on your opinion on the pricing...
Same here.

Everytime I equip an IS Im in danger of hitting 50K. Granted, its an IS350, but Im trying to do an apples to apples with the Q50.

And I figured BMW would be even worse than the IS.

Q50 is quite the value and performance bargain right now. Once they get the bugs out it will make it that much more dangerous to the segment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious to hear more elaboration on your opinion on the pricing...
My bad, I should have elaborated.
I am going off pricing of the cars that I was driving. Not overall pricing. I made a mistake.

What I meant to say was the Lexus IS is the best deal out of the 3 particular cars I was driving. The Q50 I drove was around 3000 more expensive than the IS.

·
Registered
410 Posts
you would be suprised. The IS350 isn't as expensive as everyone says it is and I even presented the data to my dealer... My Q50 Hybrid cost me 56k, granted it was a Hybrid. The Hybrid cost another 3K more than the gas model. Even if you build out the IS350 and choose F Sport which is how I looked at it, it would cost you around 48/49K at the highest. In terms of cost, I definitely prefer IS to Infiniti. BMW is just way overpriced, if you build out a 335Xi you're looking at nearly 61K for all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Sara,

That's my main complaint about the 3 series too. Don't get me wrong, if the Q50 or Infiniti didn't exist, there would most likely be a 335i in my driveway because of its performance compared to the competition, but I just absolutely do not like the looks of the car. It's so bland and I don't think they look like $50K+ cars at all. I dislike the interior even more and find it ugly. Looks-wise I agree the Q50 and the Lexus IS are much more eye catching, inside and out. The first time I saw the Q50 was when Infiniti Canada leaked the image of it on their website one day before the Detroit reveal. I thought the front just looked wicked. Because of the Q50 Hybrid, I have a car that I love both for the performance and looks, which is something neither the IS 350 (like the looks) or 335i (like the performance) could give me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
u got to borrow 3 cars? 3 brand new car for that matter. who loans out new cars to friends / relatives?
If I'd have a chance I'd do it too.
Thanks Sara.:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
u got to borrow 3 cars? 3 brand new car for that matter. who loans out new cars to friends / relatives?
Yes, and I would loan out my incoming Q50 asap if they need it as well. I love cars, but the bottom line is it's still just bolts and metal. People are what's important in life. Everyone I know(family and friends) buy instead of lease and we all drive cars around 40,000-70,000. We might not be millionaires but to me and I think to most people 40,000 for a car is still a lot of money.

A car buying process for my family(aunts,uncles,cousins,Mom) usually takes 4-10 weeks. We do in depth testing and research.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to compare the Q50 to the IS350?

Not even really sure if the 328i can be compared spec wise being a 2.0L 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to compare the Q50 to the IS350?

Not even really sure if the 328i can be compared spec wise being a 2.0L 4 cylinder.
This.

Thats why I asked about the pricing of the IS being "better" than the Q50.

Compare apples to apples, not an apple (Q50) to a tangerine (IS250)

If I take an IS350 AWD and equip it the same as a Q50 AWD (both "Premium" package, not Sport), the equivalent IS350 is about 3K more than the Q50. The rub with the IS is that a lot of the stuff are single off options, 300 here, 350 here, etc. It all adds up. For example, you dont get the blind spot monitor, parking sensors or radar cruise control in any of the packages. You need to add those on, whereas they are included in package(s) for the Q.

And Ive always thought the IS was meant as a "semi-small" car.....the front seat legroom is roughly equivalent to the Q, but the rear seat legroom is a whopping 3" smaller. Thats a lot, considering the Q isnt exactly huge back there.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
This.

Thats why I asked about the pricing of the IS being "better" than the Q50.

Compare apples to apples, not an apple (Q50) to a tangerine (IS250)

If I take an IS350 AWD and equip it the same as a Q50 AWD (both "Premium" package, not Sport), the equivalent IS350 is about 3K more than the Q50. The rub with the IS is that a lot of the stuff are single off options, 300 here, 350 here, etc. It all adds up. For example, you dont get the blind spot monitor, parking sensors or radar cruise control in any of the packages. You need to add those on, whereas they are included in package(s) for the Q.

And Ive always thought the IS was meant as a "semi-small" car.....the front seat legroom is roughly equivalent to the Q, but the rear seat legroom is a whopping 3" smaller. Thats a lot, considering the Q isnt exactly huge back there.
The IS has ALWAYS had coupe-like tiny back seats. If the driver is anything taller than 6'0, you are most certainly chopping at some legs behind you. The IS is only good if you are carrying children around....

·
Registered
39 Posts
The problem that I had when looking and my biggest complaint is the hump in the AWD that is right next to the drivers right leg making it very uncomfortable. Based on what is available on the East Coast, very few rear drivers are out there to be had.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The problem that I had when looking and my biggest complaint is the hump in the AWD that is right next to the drivers right leg making it very uncomfortable. Based on what is available on the East Coast, very few rear drivers are out there to be had.
I had the very same issue; and it was a deal breaker. I'm incredulous that no reviewer has mentioned this.

Reactions: mattreading22

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Which car?

I've seen a better photo showing the problem, but this is the best I can do for now.

Between the throttle and the seat, on the right, notice how the carpet goes straight back, before tapering to the right. That slight bulge is in constant irritating contact with your right leg, at the calf.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
For the pricing, you are not comparing it apple to apple here.
If you are comparing it with 335 or IS350, then Q50 pricing is better... of course if you go with tech package and hybrid, it will be a little expensive than IS but you got more than what the others give. It might not be the best car in the segment, but I think it is the best value for the money depending on packages. (also on the long term reliability, excluding DAS for now since it is a brand new and seems fine for people in freezing areas).

I am glad you are happy with your purchase after doing extensive research. I myself, almost purchased 335 coupe myself (4 doors do not look like 40-50K car) January last year after trying out IS and BMW until I saw newsletter from my dealer with the aggressive face. I thought Infiniti cars were getting outdated and it does not seem they are coming up with new stuff. That newsletter came at the right moment when on that evening I was going to move on with the deal. I decided to wait till July and saved some money too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.