Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

I hope Infiniti was watching

17K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  SimpsonTide985 
#1 ·
I can understand why Infiniti doesn't want to push the advertising for the Q50, but Lexus has a ton of ads during the U.S. Open. In particular, they have a couple about the new IS, and the ads say "Coming in July." I would expect Infiniti to start the advertising very soon. Starting in 1989, when both of them started up, Lexus has been killing Infiniti with much better advertising. For those who are too young to remember this, in 1989, Lexus pushed their cars, and Infiniti's ads never even showed the cars, just talked about how wonderful they'd be. :confused:

#2 ·
I see Infiniti ads all the time, but most of them are promoting their Limited Engagement events on their current lineup.

There's still plenty of time to hype up the Q50. In the meantime, they need to focus on moving out their 2013 vehicles with good incentives, including the current G, EX, and M.

#4 ·
Yeah, you'd think if Infiniti is trying to go head to head with the IS350 they'd be on the ball for a July release. Maybe they will surprise us.

I remember during the auto show back in March (oh how I miss that weather), Lexus straight up announced they were releasing the 2014 IS350 in July. I went back to the Infiniti Q50 ladies and asked them for a date. "Summer 2014". Well, that's pretty vague, could be June, July or August. Half of June is gone so we're looking at July at the earliest, meanwhile the Q50 is still touring dealerships and nobody has a demo yet.

It's not doom or gloom, it's just weird timing. Has the Q50 hit the home market (Japan) yet? Or is it going to bow here first since it sells the most in the US?

#6 ·
Just about everyone who knows I'm buying the Q50 initially thought I'm either getting the QX56 or the old flagship Q45, and not a single one of them were aware that Infiniti is changing their naming convention. A lot do ask if I'm considering the new IS, and like everyone is saying, the ads are everywhere, and they chose the right billboards up here to attract the most attention.

Hopefully, they have a good marketing strategy in place for when they're ready to advertise.

#7 ·
We where told the Infiniti is going to push the Q50 HEAVY in the next month. They already had 2 page spreads in the new motertrend and car and driver.. They insured us that it will be everywhere in a few weeks. The best way to advertise this car is to get a 6 month pull ahead and put a $2000 loyalty cash on it and start it off with a great lease program and get all the G37x drivers that stuck with the same car there last 2-3 leases into a Q50 for a great price and get the car out there. Once people start seeing the car on the road then they will come. If this car pulled up behind me I would defiantly let them pass me just to see what kind of car it was and then run to the dealer. The front of this car looks MEAN!!... Infiniti please start is out with a great lease promotion and get them out on the road then slowly raise the MF and lower the residual..

#9 ·
Once people start seeing the car on the road then they will come. If this car pulled up behind me I would defiantly let them pass me just to see what kind of car it was and then run to the dealer.

This made me chuckle. I think I had the first GCoupe in Florida - I picked it up before the official November 1st sale start. I was stopped at a light and the guy in the car in the left turn lane next to me kept staring. When the light turned green, I took off, and when I looked in the rearview mirror, he was still sitting there, even though he had the green arrow. I kept watching him, and it took him a while before he turned. That's what a new car like this will do. Dealers should know that the best thing for them, in the long run, is to do everything possible to get the new car on the road, so as many people as possible get to see it. I can't tell you how many people stopped me in parking lots the first six months I had the coupe(parked WAY AWAY from other cars :D). I hope Stoned is right about the heavy advertising(and he's not just "stoned.";))

#10 ·
Q50H ad's and their product

I agree with you. I have been reading this blog for several months and waiting for the new cars to be made public. I have been waiting to buy a car since last year when I saw the trunk room on the M35H. It's like some top rate government project - no wait! the cat has already been let out of the bag on that secret too!

So what is the big deal with Infiniti and their marketing strategies? They take the car to dealers at a launch parties around town (they don't bring the Hybrid) and it is only there for a couple of hours. If your goal is frustration you have succeeded. If the MPG's are the same, tell me so I can buy a car, period.

I have read everything there is to read on the Q50's and I want the gas and trunk room of the Hybrid model. If Infiniti wants my money, show me a product that I can buy, just don't show me a pictures and ask me to reserve it without test driving a car.

I am very well informed on a car that really does not exist... Telsa cars are looking better and better!

#17 ·
I agree with you. I have been reading this blog for several months and waiting for the new cars to be made public. I have been waiting to buy a car since last year when I saw the trunk room on the M35H. It's like some top rate government project - no wait! the cat has already been let out of the bag on that secret too!

So what is the big deal with Infiniti and their marketing strategies? They take the car to dealers at a launch parties around town (they don't bring the Hybrid) and it is only there for a couple of hours. If your goal is frustration you have succeeded. If the MPG's are the same, tell me so I can buy a car, period.

I have read everything there is to read on the Q50's and I want the gas and trunk room of the Hybrid model. If Infiniti wants my money, show me a product that I can buy, just don't show me a pictures and ask me to reserve it without test driving a car.

I am very well informed on a car that really does not exist... Telsa cars are looking better and better!
lol, that was a pretty random thing to say.
He was referring to the Troll above ... Lmao...

Reactions: afrosheen
#11 ·
Infiniti's business model doesn't to be exactly like Lexus'. In fact, I think Lexus was almost forced to push the IS as aggressive as they have been. The new IS is such a oddball new car, that Lexus almost had no choice to hype it up the way that it has in order to create interest. I don't think the Q50 will need to do much in order to get people interested.

#13 · (Edited)
I agree that Infiniti doesn't have to emulate Lexus' ad strategies, but the undeniable fact is Infiniti does need to do ALL that it can to attract interest from the consumer market (not just North America, either). Infiniti only has a 7.8% US share in the luxury auto segment; by comparison, Lexus has twice as much.

Obviously, Lexus is doing a much better job of driving brand awareness than Infiniti has done. Nissan Pres. Carlos Ghosn said at the NY Auto Show earlier this yr: "Ten percent market share is a basic milestone. Nissan and Infiniti, we are at 8 percent. I think we have 2 percent market share to go, very fast.” One need not be in the Infiniti "situation room" to know that there are clearly more Lexus, BMW, and even Cadillac campaigns than those that exist for Infiniti. The moral of the story here is that these cars don't sell themselves. For a premium brand on a quest to expand its customer base, at the very least it requires creative (and heavy) marketing execution on their part, along with clear value proposition. The latter is evident for anyone who actually test drives & decides to purchase an Infiniti (as I have myself for the first time last year; the fact that I even considered an Infiniti was purely by chance). Now, I love Infiniti; but it's pretty telling when many of my fellow twenty-something yr old friends barely even know a thing about them. There's nothing wrong with taking a page from Lexus, Acura, or MB's book when it comes to marketing the brand; after all, they're the class leaders. The status quo simply ain't working. Time to start pushing the brand.

#20 ·
I considered that when I uploaded this graphic. In terms of auto market share, the YOY change is negligible in most cases; we're not gonna fiddle over slight differences in 2012-13. That quote from Carlos Ghosn, Nissan President, is from this year's NY Auto Show (March 2013, I believe). So, whether it's 7.8% or 8% (as iterated by Ghosn), the facts remain--Infiniti needs to do more to gain market share; to their credit (and recent change of leadership), I believe they will do just that.

#16 ·
Guys calm down... they are sure to push this car in a big way. Its too important for them not to. I remember when the JX was released the reviews for it came out really late compared to what I was used to and I was wondering where they were, but it seems Infiniti is taking a new approach with the press touching their cars until the car is actually on sale. The JX has def been a success for Infiniti and was pushed heavily marketing wise once the car was released. Theres a method to the madness, just gotta wait it out.

#18 ·
travey3@hotmail.com said:
Tesla costs 90k. Get one if you can afford it. I've seen 3 around town already.

Replying to the 1 post troll, got buried on page 2. ;)

@Gandhi: I went to that goodcarbadcar site and all I saw was charts from Canada. Where did you get this one?

#23 ·
Honestly I don't see the big deal here. I owned the 1st gen IS300, what a piece of ****. Best thing that ever happened to that car was someone making a left hand turn and totalling it. I thank the lord!!!! I was going to buy another lexus, but decided to look at the Infinti G35 Sedan. What a car out of the box, more HP and better braking, something the lexus didn't have.
I ended up buying the Coupe and still driving it today. Happy as can be fast reliable and the brakes work great.

Fast forward today Lexus has the 3rd gen IS and it is a pig. No really a pig, the thing weighs in close to 4000LBS and your getting the same drive train and 306HP. They say they have reworked the suspension for better handling..fine. But as far as I'm concerned they repackaged the same BS in a new box and reselling it to you for a higher price...will because it's a Lexus.

The F-sport model and I don't mean the IS-F with the V8, just has the new fancy LFA gauge cluster, which is nice, but the car still has the same 306HP and the god awful front end is a mess, I mean really who designed that should be shot...." all show and no go" :(

The new Q50 is representing the forward thinking and future of what Infiniti is all about, a great valued vehicle, with a well appointed interior and technology package that will outlast the IS.

So what if Lexus is coming out the IS sooner than the Q50. In the end we will have a better car that will stand out and outperform and outhandle at a better price than a Lexus.

#26 ·
For those of you curious about how the G has stacked up sales wise over the years, its consistently been a 3rd place finisher on a yearly basis. Monthly it has proven it can pass the 3 Series every blue moon by a couple hundred units. But its a rare occasion.

2012 Yearly Sales: 59884 +2.7%

2011 Yearly Sales: 58246 +0.2%

2010 Yearly Sales: 58143 (no increase/decline percentage given)

And just to give a clue of the numbers we may be seeing when the Q50 sales get rolling, in 2007 when the new G35 was first released, Infiniti moved 71,809 off the lots. Its a different time, but there's still a chance it could get back in that range.

See Infiniti G Past 11 years of Sales Here

See US Sales of Any Car Class/Segment Here

#27 ·
Fantastic data NissLover. It's funny how the G manages to destroy the IS, A4, C Class and CTS each year. Now that the new ATS is out, and it and the IS still have a back seat for kids, I wonder how the Q50 will fare this year.

Carlos Ghosn really knows what he's talking about. He mentioned the 3 series, A4 and C Class as the Q's competitors in the segment, and the data bears this out. However, the 3 series is so broad it's like they sell 8 cars with the 3 series badge on them, including a coupe and a sedan (and I think Europe gets a wagon, could be wrong). Are the G sales broken out here or do they lump the convertible, coupe and sedan together under a number?

#32 · (Edited)
The C-Class surely outsells the G. But yes these G sales include the Coupe. Infiniti does report the Sedan and Coupe seperately in their sales charts, but being that BMW and all lump their sales together, typically the same is done for the G when its compared to the others. In the next year or so there will be a shift in these numbers. The C-Class will take the #1 spot since they added the C-Class coupe and will continue to report both the sedan and coupe and BMW has split the coupe off into another model, the 4 Series. The same for the Q50/Q60... but in the end they can technically be lumped together still.

But yes the Q50 is facing a harder fight than the last gen G when it debuted... The IS no longer has a dismal backseat and we have the ATS in the mix too. I think the Q50 and IS will now battle for that #3 spot, along with the A4... but in the end I think the Q50 will win becuase the IS will not be a timeless design and its sales will probably trickle off after a while. Its too polarizing.

#31 ·
Doh, I culled that 4k figure from someone earlier. I know better than that. Edmunds lists it as 3593 lbs curb weight with 306hp. hp/lb ratio is roughly 1:11.7. The Q50 premium weighs 3,611lb at the curb and has 328hp. hp/lb ratio is 1:11. That's a tiny improvement, but an improvement nonetheless. Didn't realize how similar these were until I looked at the math.

For a good laugh, go to http://www.infinitiusa.com/all-new-q50/specs-pricing/ and hit the tab for "compare competitors". That's called "owning your competitors by the numbers".

#33 ·
"The IS no longer has a dismal backseat".

We ran the numbers before. The backseat legroom is 32.2 inches, up 1.6" from 30.6 in 2013. Still dismal. I guess it may mean the difference between your knees banging into the seat vs. barely touching it. Q50 has 35.1 inches in the back. I managed to ease into the back seat at a demo (I'm 6'7 and god knows how many pounds) and I fit back there. Of course, nobody my size could sit in the front with me in the back on the same side, but I'm the only NBA sized dude I'm friends with. ;)

I must be tired, been making dumb mistakes all day. Yes, the C Class, according to those charts, outsold the G 3 years running, and really pulled away like a banshee in 2012. 2010 was pretty close though, as was 2011.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.