Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mobil M1-108A is for Q50 3.7L engine. It's the same size with the OEM filter. But it's very small and tiny.

I installed M1-110A this time. It's the same diameter/thread but longer than M1-108A. It fits well, does not interfere with anything. See the photos. So, I highly recommend it for anyone having 3.7L engine.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm assuming that would also fit on the VR30,

I just checked Mobil1 website and put in 2019 Q50 Red Sport and it uses that same filter for the smaller one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i recommend the Fram XG7317. its analogous to the M1-110A in physical size and capacity but superior in every other measurable aspect and it's also less expensive to boot. the mobil1 filter is a fine filter, itll work awesome really. the fram ultra filter is just better though. when the M1 filter was released, there wasnt much better available, now there is. just because it was good in 2005 doesnt mean its still good now.

the Ultra filters use full synth media vs the mobil1 which is a blend. the Ultra filters filter finer particles and flow better doing it. mobil1 claims 99.6% efficiency at 25 microns, and Fram Ultra filters are 99.99% efficient at 20 microns. the real difference is how fast the efficiency falls off past 20 microns.

though soot particles by themselves come in at less than 20 microns, when they aggregate, they become larger and get filtered out. part of your oil's job is to keep soot in suspension so they dont aggregate. using a more efficient filter removes the particles to begin with and helps the oil protect your engine longer. soot even at smaller particle sizes is absolutely responsible for a long of engine wear in bearings and specifically timing chain components, ask any early GM GDI 3.6 owner. using a filter to get the small stuff out is helpful.

heres some reference material for the fram ultra results:

that thread is 28 pages long as contains a MOUNTAIN of information if you can stomach the read, lol. i suppose it may or may not be in bad form to cross-link forums, some mods get uppity about it. considering its not a direct competing site and it contains extremely good info, hope it doesnt get removed.

finally, yes, i admit im a fram ultra filter fan boy. not cause its "FrAm Is ThE BeSt", but its because the ultra is the best spin on no-bypass filter you can buy. no other filter is going to do a better job unless its a bypass type filter.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i recommend the Fram XG7317. its analogous to the M1-110A in physical size and capacity but superior in every other measurable aspect.
Oh my god thank you...I been trying to find the bigger FRAM version of that!

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Hmmm I have been experimenting with other filters may try up-sizing mine for the G37, I know a few forum members run larger capacity oil filters
and haven't had any issue with them thus far.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Hmmm I have been experimenting with other filters may try up-sizing mine for the G37, I know a few forum members run larger capacity oil filters
and haven't had any issue with them thus far.
This is the one I use.

it is taller than the 3.0 filter.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,608 Posts
While I use OEM filters, I worry about using one different than the manufacturer recommends because of possible specification differences that are not obvious to the naked eye. Just the way I am.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
34 Posts
i recommend the Fram XG7317. its analogous to the M1-110A in physical size and capacity but superior in every other measurable aspect and it's also less expensive to boot. the mobil1 filter is a fine filter, itll work awesome really. the fram ultra filter is just better though. when the M1 filter was released, there wasnt much better available, now there is. just because it was good in 2005 doesnt mean its still good now.

the Ultra filters use full synth media vs the mobil1 which is a blend. the Ultra filters filter finer particles and flow better doing it. mobil1 claims 99.6% efficiency at 25 microns, and Fram Ultra filters are 99.99% efficient at 20 microns. the real difference is how fast the efficiency falls off past 20 microns.

though soot particles by themselves come in at less than 20 microns, when they aggregate, they become larger and get filtered out. part of your oil's job is to keep soot in suspension so they dont aggregate. using a more efficient filter removes the particles to begin with and helps the oil protect your engine longer. soot even at smaller particle sizes is absolutely responsible for a long of engine wear in bearings and specifically timing chain components, ask any early GM GDI 3.6 owner. using a filter to get the small stuff out is helpful.

heres some reference material for the fram ultra results:

that thread is 28 pages long as contains a MOUNTAIN of information if you can stomach the read, lol. i suppose it may or may not be in bad form to cross-link forums, some mods get uppity about it. considering its not a direct competing site and it contains extremely good info, hope it doesnt get removed.

finally, yes, i admit im a fram ultra filter fan boy. not cause its "FrAm Is ThE BeSt", but its because the ultra is the best spin on no-bypass filter you can buy. no other filter is going to do a better job unless its a bypass type filter.
Don't we want a bypass built into the filter?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I believe that the Ultra's are now a blend versus fully synthetic. See the attached pic off their website. It is a blend of both synthetic and cellulose material so really not a TRUE fully synthetic filter. There are better filters than this Fram.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
I believe that the Ultra's are now a blend versus fully synthetic. See the attached pic off their website. It is a blend of both synthetic and cellulose material so really not a TRUE fully synthetic filter. There are better filters than this Fram.

View attachment 102316
thanks, its been updated apparently. it used to say dual later synthetic.

regarding its performance however, the tests dont lie. the truth is that there are NOT (many, if any) better non-bypass filters readily available. did you look at the data? the tests were done by a non-biased forum member who performs these tests as a job. the purolater, wix, and rp filters that people like have boners over and think are higher quality than the ultra got summarily trounced by the ultra. it wasnt even close.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I am a BIG fan of the WIX-XP line of filters. You should look into them.

Reactions: rpiotro and jodedor
1 - 20 of 64 Posts