Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,457 Posts
It's not very large(r) but I took a chance on this puppy with my last oil change.

·
Registered
116 Posts
thanks, its been updated apparently. it used to say dual later synthetic.

regarding its performance however, the tests dont lie. the truth is that there are NOT (many, if any) better non-bypass filters readily available. did you look at the data? the tests were done by a non-biased forum member who performs these tests as a job. the purolater, wix, and rp filters that people like have boners over and think are higher quality than the ultra got summarily trounced by the ultra. it wasnt even close.
in post #549, like mentioned here too, they've changed out the filter material that was tested back in 2020, because of this the data goes out the window. i can't believe that they just change the media at their will to something that isn't as good as the original....so it seems like we are back to not having a better filter than any other.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Good eye, I'll have to wait and see if the 2 ply version is any worse. There's like a 40 page post at bitog about it lol. Lots of arguing, very little facts, no results. Sounds like a teenage girl slumber party over there lmao.

I'm wondering if the titanium filter retains the old design since it's looking to be the "replacement" for the top end filter.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i made the mistake of reading through most of that thread on bitog, yikes. about half the people dont care and the other half claim its orders of magnitude inferior. a few people contacted fram an were met with explanations along with some filtration numbers for comparison. hard to take any mfg at their word when it comes to that, third party testing is in order. im guessing the change was done for budget reasons. generally speaking, "new and improved product" really means "new and improved profits" for mfgs.

heres the information along with an infographic:

The old filter has 2 layers of the same media type. Even with doubling those, the filter wasn't durable enough. Thus the double media was bonded to a wire mesh backing for support. Now we have 1 layer of the original synthetic media combined with a layer of a new media design. The new media layer is more rigid than the old and provides the same level of support as the wire mesh, but also acts as another layer of filtration. The new media serves a dual purpose, you see? I can't share our testing data as it is proprietary of course. But the old design was 70% efficient at trapping containments 10 microns in size, and 91% efficient for 15 micron. The new design is 74% at 10 micron and 93% at 15 micron. I hope this is enough information to satisfy you. Thank you for using FRAM filters.
Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Good eye, I'll have to wait and see if the 2 ply version is any worse.
I don't understand why some peoples even bother with the substandard brand. They are proven to be a manufacturer making junky filters. It's not important if one of the filters do filter well or not. You are wasting time to find something in a nasty trash can. There are many other trustworthy brands or even OEM.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wonder if kits like these are the answer

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't understand why some peoples even bother with the substandard brand. They are proven to be a manufacturer making junky filters. It's not important if one of the filters do filter well or not. You are wasting time to find something in a nasty trash can. There are many other trustworthy brands or even OEM.
im interested to know if any of your opinion is based in fact or have to just listened to decades worth of uneducated tribal group speak? if youre gonna reference some random filter failure thats fine, just realize that you can find failures for any brand of filter if you just look. dont mistake my like for the ultra as like for fram. i prefer whatever filter has the best flow and filtration, brand is irrelevant. prevously, mobil1 was the filter to have for many years. then, better things came along. also, if youre going to post likes to youtube fools cutting apart filters and talking about then, i promise you that means just about nothing at all. ISO tests are how you determine how well a filter works, not by some fool cutting filters apart and telling you how soft the media feels.

fram ultra filters have been scientifically tested by forum funded third parties which showed proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that the (now previous) design ultra filter is/was superior to every name brand filter that people who have more emotions than brains predicted would be better than the ultra. hell, the tough guard filters are generally better than nearly every other filter. also, get a grip, if fram was really as bad as you seem to think, they wouldnt be in business. of course, not every filter line they make is the best of the best, thats silly to think. but, theyre upper end filters are very good, some of the best in fact for quite some time.

this new design for the ultra is likely a cost cutting measure imo. i would imagine itll be a while before BITOG forum members pull together to a filter retest. if it proves to have superior flow and filtration as claimed, thats great! if not, well then theres a ton of other filters out there that are very good as well. rest assured, if/when i find something better, ill tell you guys all about it. dont get butthurt if its a brand that isnt your favorite. i dont know why its so hard for people to be subjective about things.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
im interested to know if any of your opinion is based in fact or have to just listened to decades worth of uneducated tribal group speak?
I didn't want to use the term "Uneducated tribal group" but, as you used the term first, why don't you think it could be you. There are many references showing the junky filters, not just one time failure but manufactured intentionally by the unethical substandard manufacturer. As many peoples have already shown the filter internals, you can find them with easy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
easy, my opinion isnt based on the opinions of others, its not based on a forum full of people who have no idea what theyre talking about. its not based off of dumb ass youtube videos of people cutting apart filters and picking apart things without the slightest inclination of the parts theyre pointing to. my opinion is based on raw hard facts. it is a literal proven fact that the ultra is (was?) better than any fitler it was put up against. a tester who works at Ascent Filtration conducted an independent ISO 4548-12 test among many brands and published the results. the ultra filter was so much better than the other filters, it wasnt even a contest.

youve not given one actual fact to back up anything youve said other than "tHeY'rE bAd CaUsE tHeY uSeD tO fAiL'. seriously, search "oil filter failure" and put any brand you like, youll find ppl with blown engines from ALL brands. theres a reason purolator filters were called tearalator instead several years ago. their filters tended to tear apart during service but heaven forbid anyone mention that because the can isnt orange and herd mentality doesnt like to admit mistakes in thinking. there are many people who swear by wix filters but their top of the line XP filter is only 60% efficient at 20 microns. there are ac delco filters that are better lol.

i used to be on the lets hate fram bandwagon just like you. hell, i even saw what was left of a 340's main bearings after a fram filter disintegrated and decided to run through the engine. the builder showed me the bearings and noted the chunks of filter. but, that was 20+ years ago. fram certainly did make subpar filters a ong time ago, i dont think many people will argue that. alas, its not the late 80s/early 90s anymore, and the people who ran fram are not there anymore. times change. back in the day, the mobil1 filter was the bees knees and everyone ran them, myself included. that was back when champion labs built them. nowdays, theyre merely ok, and theyre not made by champion labs anymore. things change, thats the only constant in life. i first heard about the ultra filter and scoffed until i saw the test report. you simply cannot argue against unbiased, factual information. again, unbiased third party tests and oil analysis is how you determine how good an oil filter works, not silly youtubers with a hacksaw and a big mouth. if you buy a $3 oil filter, expect to see cardboard end caps (or none at all), very thin cases, and a silicone anti drain back valve. what do you expect for $3? of course the cheap filter is cheap.

fram claims the new version doesnt need the mesh screen because the media is strong enough on its own. conjecture says thats 100% true but there will (supposedly, unconfirmed) be a reduction in flow vs a fully synth media. no one knows and no one will until a test is done. knowing the zealots at BITOG, its only a matter of time, lol.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
564 Posts
It's not very large(r) but I took a chance on this puppy with my last oil change.

What a rip! Best part of a K&N filter is that they have a nub on the end of them you can fit a regular socket onto so you don't have to mess with the filter wrench! That looks a lot like a Wix re-branded. Usually K&N are white as well which I like better for spotting it under the car.
Automotive lighting Font Art Tints and shades T-shirt

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
651 Posts
Reactions: IridiumRS400
41 - 53 of 53 Posts