Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Right, not gonna up and throw the Q away for an extra 1500 or 2 Gs.

Not sure what people are looking to buy, upgrade the Q to a newer year or jumping ship to something else. The new Lex IS is the only thing that has my eye right now.
Yeah, the problem is the used car market is so overvalued it doesn't make sense. Buying new is the better value than buying a 2-3 year old car. Only makes sense to buy a $3000 beater to hold you over until the market settles down if you do decide to sell

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
2015 Q50 premium awd with 123k miles. Autonation offered me $12k
When I traded mine in about two months ago that was what they were going for at the Manheim auctions. I got a little more because of miles and condition.

However, beware of Carfax. Three years ago I got rear ended in a McDonalds drive through. Takes a special kind of stupid. The damage was minor and confined to the rear fascia. $800 repair. It shows up as an "accident" on Carfax and definitely hurt the resale. If something like this ever happens to you just bite the bullet and pay it. Don't get insurance involved.

Reactions: twin_snails

·
Registered
157 Posts
Three years ago I got rear ended in a McDonalds drive through. Takes a special kind of stupid. The damage was minor and confined to the rear fascia. $800 repair. It shows up as an "accident" on Carfax and definitely hurt the resale. If something like this ever happens to you just bite the bullet and pay it. Don't get insurance involved.
Completely agree. I got my side mirror clipped by some @sshole at night (one way street) while my vehicle was parked and long story short insurance listed it as an accident.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I traded mine in about two months ago that was what they were going for at the Manheim auctions. I got a little more because of miles and condition.

However, beware of Carfax. Three years ago I got rear ended in a McDonalds drive through. Takes a special kind of stupid. The damage was minor and confined to the rear fascia. $800 repair. It shows up as an "accident" on Carfax and definitely hurt the resale. If something like this ever happens to you just bite the bullet and pay it. Don't get insurance involved.
While parking I rubbed my front bumper, first time in my life 😁 I got it fixed under insurance, carfax shows as minor accident. Autonation cut only $300 for that. Damage was around $3800k. Actually I wanna keep my car until 200k miles. Not burning oil, generally in good shape. 😁

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Bought my Red Sport in January for $32,300 with 31K miles. Sold it yesterday to a Toyota dealership for $34,500 with 39k miles.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Keep in mind, if you buy another used car, you'll likely pay higher than usual for that purchase as well. In other words, car prices are up across the board. You aren't necessarily coming out ahead in the long run. Likely, you are just breaking even when selling and buying something else.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,817 Posts
He's probably riding the bus.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Keep in mind, if you buy another used car, you'll likely pay higher than usual for that purchase as well. In other words, car prices are up across the board. You aren't necessarily coming out ahead in the long run. Likely, you are just breaking even when selling and buying something else.
True. Buying another used car is probably a break-even or losing proposition. Especially if looking at $10K or more.

The only options are to buy cheap used (under $10K but more likely under $5K) or buy new if you aren't picky.

New car prices for non in demand cars (so no Tellurides or trucks) are stable. Probably won't be able to get much off MSRP but there are deals out there.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
True. Buying another used car is probably a break-even or losing proposition. Especially if looking at $10K or more.

The only options are to buy cheap used (under $10K but more likely under $5K) or buy new if you aren't picky.

New car prices for non in demand cars (so no Tellurides or trucks) are stable. Probably won't be able to get much off MSRP but there are deals out there.
New car pricing is up and on the rise as well. Inventory is down and reducing by the week due to chip shortages. The supply chain across the entire world is a mess right now for nearly all industries and it is driving costs up. Supply vs demand as always.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm kind of torn. I'm working remotely now so hardly ever drive. Hate to make payments on a car that rarely ever gets used. I force myself to drive just to use the car. Weekends we do use my car.

Thinking of selling to get rid of payments. Save the monthly payments away until I actually need a car.

In the meantime purchase a beater just go get around in.

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I'm kind of torn. I'm working remotely now so hardly ever drive. Hate to make payments on a car that rarely ever gets used. I force myself to drive just to use the car. Weekends we do use my car.

Thinking of selling to get rid of payments. Save the monthly payments away until I actually need a car.

In the meantime purchase a beater just go get around in.
That is a reasonable line of thinking and one worth considering. I don't drive nearly as much as I used to either, but I could never be without "my car" and one I enjoy driving. Everyone is different, though. It looks like the business I work for will be returning everyone to the office over the next 3 months - at least that is the current plan...

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I sold mine because I factory ordered a Ram 3500. Yes I'm paying slightly more for the truck than I would have this time last year, but when you're paying north of 75k, whats another 3-4k, that payment stings no matter if its 75k even or 78k lol.

I wish I could have waited until the market got back to normal, but who the hell knows when that'll be. Plus I have the patience of a 3 year old, I hate waiting on anything.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My Vroom quote expired so I resubmitted. Price went up by $500.

This is bonkers. At this rate in 6 months it will be worth $100K :)

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,865 Posts
Reactions: GIGANTORE

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Sounds like chip shortage will continue through this year, thus impacting used and new car inventory and prices.

Used car market is very volatile right now. I think for new cars, the deal you got last year can probably still be had this year.

Reactions: GIGANTORE

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like chip shortage will continue through this year, thus impacting used and new car inventory and prices.

Used car market is very volatile right now. I think for new cars, the deal you got last year can probably still be had this year.
Agreed. Actually saw a news article yesterday that said in some cases used cars are selling for more than a new car of the same model. Which is bat **** crazy. This makes buying a brand new car a no-brainer. Especially if you can get it for below MSRP.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
122 Posts
You guys perked my interest. Just ran a quote and it came back at 35k. Time to go shopping for a new E53?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts