Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the newest Facebook post/video last night 8/15/2013 - female walk-around of the Q50 (with the tiny 17"s it looks like). Came a way quite disturbed.

If you carefully stop the video and read the fine print - 2nd set of captions - you will see that Infiniti Connection relies upon a 2G cell network. It also notes that 2G is going to cease with AT&T as of 12/31/2016. This is poor engineering if you ask me.

So................

What happens to our Google Search, Connected car, SOS button and apps as of then?

Was the system just designed for planned obsolescence? What, if anything, will Infiniti charge to upgrade it if we keep the car for more then 3 years?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just watched the newest Facebook post/video last night 8/15/2013 - female walk-around of the Q50 (with the tiny 17"s it looks like). Came a way quite disturbed.

If you carefully stop the video and read the fine print - 2nd set of captions - you will see that Infiniti Connection relies upon a 2G cell network. It also notes that 2G is going to cease with AT&T as of 12/31/2016. This is poor engineering if you ask me.

So................

What happens to our Google Search, Connected car, SOS button and apps as of then?

Was the system just designed for planned obsolescence? What, if anything, will Infiniti charge to upgrade it if we keep the car for more then 3 years?
must be a misprint ??? I'd check before we get too excited.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts

So................

I didn't take the time to read that in the video, but did see the attached article last year relating to AT&T Ending 2G Network by 2017.

AT&T Ending 2G Network by 2017 - WSJ.com

If there is a 2G Network used by Infiniti, having this information confirmed would really bother me.:confused:

·
Registered
302 Posts
i can't believe that Infiniti would use 2G in a new vehicle. That is a couple generations behind. There must be a mistake from an Infiniti perspective in their marketing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I guess it will be time to upgrade in 2016 for the NEW Q50 that supports LTE or what ever the current data connection is.

OR.... hope that Infinti will swap out the current units to the newer LTE units, because as we all know it's a hardware ( in this case LTE chipset) that will work with 4G/LTE!!!!!;)

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I also think that GM's Onstar is currently running on 2G and 3G, and for 2014 GM is going to be adding 4G LTE from AT&T.

So if GM is starting in 2014, I would hope that Infiniti is planning or has made plans for this as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
i can't believe that Infiniti would use 2G in a new vehicle. That is a couple generations behind. There must be a mistake from an Infiniti perspective in their marketing.
It doesn't seem to be a mistake. From their Q50 Disclaimer page:
Q50

Driving is serious business. Only use Infiniti ConnectionTM and Infiniti Connection Plus services when safe to do so. Infiniti Connection™ and Infiniti Connection Plus services require compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Infiniti’s control. AT&T has announced that on December 31, 2016, AT&T will terminate 2G network availability. Once the 2G network is terminated, Infiniti Connection and Infiniti Connection Plus services will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Infiniti cannot guarantee. Infiniti not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades or roaming charges on alternative networks, if available). Certain vehicle services, including Google compatible services, provided by independent companies not within Infiniti’s control and are subject to change without notice or liability to Infiniti and its affiliates and agents. Subscription Agreement required to enroll. Initial 12 months, beginning on your date of purchase, included complimentary. Subsequently, your credit card (if on file) will be charged at the then current subscription rate and your service will continue for 1 year periods under the terms of your Subscription Agreement, or until 2G coverage is terminated on December 31, 2016 (if equipment upgrades or roaming charges are not available by that date). Terms and conditions of Subscription Agreement apply."​

And who will be paying for this?:confused:
According to the above, it looks like we will be paying for it.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Yeah this is via the TCU module in the car, this can easily be swapped out when an upgrade is needed. Still weird though that they would use a 2G chip. That's ridiculous if we would have to pay for this upgrade down the line.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The Infiniti warranty is for four years, and I am sure Infiniti knows it , I think Infiniti will replace the module if need be during warranty period.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Infiniti warranty is for four years, and I am sure Infiniti knows it , I think Infiniti will replace the module if need be during warranty period.
Connection is a pay for feature.. you only get it free for one year.. so I would imagine your warranty has nothing to do with upgrading an optional service..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Especially when the terms of service specifically state that:

"Infiniti not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades or roaming charges on alternative networks, if available)."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.