Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I think it is smart to pay the extra for an extended warranty if you intend to keep the Q50 for a long period of time. Having issues at a later date without a warranty can get costly. I never went with an extended before but i think i was quoted for an extra 3k.

·
Registered
29 Posts
An extended vehicle warranty could save you thousands of dollars in repair costs if your car has major problems after the manufacturer's warranty expires. That's the upside, and there are plenty of people who swear by the prolonged protection. But critics argue that extended warranties, which also are called vehicle protection plans or service contracts, don't always pay off. The truth is, it depends. Not all extended warranties are created equal. I have never bought a extended warranty before but I will look closely at the outlines before I sign for one.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I don't usually get extended warranty because I don't keep my vehicles long enough to be of any use. If you plan to own for atleast 5 years, then you may have more use for it.

If you plan to buy loaded with features such as AWD, climate control, park assistance etc. then getting warranty would make sense. I would expect atleast one of those to break and the cost of repair could be much higher.

Also, extended warranty is highly negotiable so haggle.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've always been 50/50 on warrantys. I can never decide if I really need them. So far I've been ok without them.
With a first year production car like this, it's a good idea to get it, as there can be a number of things to go wrong with this car, unlike something that's in the middle of it's production cycle that had a lot of kinks worked out.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
With a first year production car like this, it's a good idea to get it, as there can be a number of things to go wrong with this car, unlike something that's in the middle of it's production cycle that had a lot of kinks worked out.
This is true I think there will be a number of people rather going to a lease rather than finance because of this reason. But since the credibility of the G series has been so good I have no doubt that the Q50 will be the same.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Infiniti is putting a great deal of new technology into the Q50. There is no telling how it will hold up 5 or 6 years down the line. So for those who are purchasing, it may be worth it.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I doubt the new technology is going to be that far off from the previous G37 eventhough the Q50 looks completely different. Infiniti has come a long way I don't thin they will release without fine tuning everything.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
FYI, Extended warranty is like life insurance. You can buy it at any time (while car is still in warranty, at least). But it gets more expensive as your car gets older. It is also a cashable contract. So if you sell the car, you can apply for a pro-rata refund on the unused part of the extended warranty.

One dead InTouch computer 5 years from now and your extended warranty will have paid for itself. But, as waffleman points out, there are no problems with the InTouch system, so I'm sure we'll be fine. :rolleyes:

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Registered
60 Posts
Always keep in mind that the manufacturer or whoever is offering the extended warranty is not offering it to lose money. They are taking a calculated risk, and you can bet that they price them VERY carefully based on a number of factors and a lot of data which you don't have access to. It's basically a crap shoot. You might have problems and the extended warranty will have paid for itself. Or you may not have any problems, and the extended warranty will have been money flushed down the toilet. Just realize that the odds will favor the latter.

Yes, the Q50 is a new model in its first year, and therefore more likely to have problems. But it's not an entirely new model. The engine, drivetrain, and most mechanicals are carryover from the G37. Even the Hybrid powertrain has been in use in the M35h for a few years. The only things that are truly new are all the electronics. We all know the software has issues, but what is likely to fail over time? Sensors should not be that expensive to replace. Maybe if the whole InTouch computer craps out and needs to be replaced, that would be pricey.

That's just my opinion. I'm leasing, so I don't really have to make this decision. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.