Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
There's some perks, i can hear the spool a lot better, and it does sound a bit better on a stock exhaust.
I didn't really feel the 5-10HP gains, maybe I can get it with a proper tune.

Best bang for buck if you really want intakes, get the BMS ones for 300 bucks.
I wouldn't spend anymore than that.

If you really want more bang for buck just buy better drop in filters.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Intakes alone are marginal performance gains. You'll probably get like 5 HP and you get a better sound.

You would get more gains with a tune.

If you aren't ever going to tune your car, buying an aftermarket intake is a personal choice. Some people don't want it. Some people want it. If you are planning to do more performance mods, you should get it. Every HP/TQ counts.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I am not totally convinced of this. Perhaps smooth is not always better than corrugated. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were some gains by switching to smooth intake tubing....
Ah yes, boundary layer vs laminar flow. It is not always cut and dried with aircraft wings but as speeds go up the nod goes to laminar flow. Of course it must be properly designed and kept clean. Even a little dirt can affect it.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
183 Posts
Damn...Fluid flow equations, Fanning friction factors and Reynolds numbers. Reminds me of my mass transfer class in engineering.

I stated the same conclusion in an earlier thread about this. Smooth bore > rough bore.
Yep gave me thermodynamics flash backs haha.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Driver will make more difference than gains from intakes.
But if both drivers are the same skill set, the Q with the intake will win. Every HP/TQ counts if that's what you are trying to go for.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
4,032 Posts
I hear (read?) a lot of people say after market intakes increase sound. I can only speak for AMS/Infiniti intakes, and I have said (typed?) this before, but there is NO increase in sound with the AMS intakes..... Unless.......... you take off the shroud (which I do not). And, I have to admit.... it sounds frickin bad @$$ with the shroud off.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I hear (read?) a lot of people say after market intakes increase sound. I can only speak for AMS/Infiniti intakes, and I have said (typed?) this before, but there is NO increase in sound with the AMS intakes..... Unless.......... you take off the shroud (which I do not). And, I have to admit.... it sounds frickin bad @$$ with the shroud off.
I actually do notice an increase in spooling noises after installing my AMS intakes.

Its not a lot. But I think I can hear the spooling noises more?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
But if both drivers are the same skill set, the Q with the intake will win. Every HP/TQ counts if that's what you are trying to go for.
Both drivers are rarely equal, especially on the street. And many intakes have been proven to lose HP.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I didn’t notice any change in sound either with AMS intake, even paired with velossa snorkel.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Both drivers are rarely equal, especially on the street. And many intakes have been proven to lose HP.
I know some people are better at pushing the throttle down.

If your talking track then 100%, or even drag to a certain extent. But hwy pulls the ceiling of “skill” is very low. Be in correct gear per speed/rpm and manually shift the auto at correct shift point. Not much driver skill involved in that being that we have autos.

Regardless, same driver with and without the mod it might make a fraction of a second difference in any/all scenarios.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I know some people are better at pushing the throttle down.

If your talking track then 100%, or even drag to a certain extent. But hwy pulls the ceiling of “skill” is very low. Be in correct gear per speed/rpm and manually shift the auto at correct shift point. Not much driver skill involved in that being that we have autos.

Regardless, same driver with and without the mod it might make a fraction of a second difference in any/all scenarios.
Even this statement
"Be in correct gear per speed/rpm and manually shift the auto at correct shift point."
shows that there are differing driving styles and abilities. Completely agree that if this is a max effort setup and tuned, you may see an improvement. But in real life there are so many other variables than swapping intakes isn't going to be the differentiator.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Even this statement
"Be in correct gear per speed/rpm and manually shift the auto at correct shift point."
shows that there are differing driving styles and abilities. Completely agree that if this is a max effort setup and tuned, you may see an improvement. But in real life there are so many other variables than swapping intakes isn't going to be the differentiator.
Different “styles/abilities” but with an incredibly low max ceiling. Meaning it is very easy and simple to drive optimally in a straight line from a roll.

Other variables are a bigger factor yes, but all variables being equal the intake should make a fraction of a second difference, so whatever “variable” you are currently in the intake will improve that situation.

Sure a slightly heat soaked car with intake will be slower than a non heat soaked car without intake. But everything being equal besides intake it should still help even if by such a small amount we will never be able to quantify the exact amount in real world situations.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
There's a great video on youtube of back to back intake testing where most intakes lost power when swapped. So now we can say that a high speed roll race, in a car that is tuned specifically for the intakes, with exactly equal driving styles and mods MAY see an improvement.....that's quite a tailor made list of conditions to try and prove intakes are worth it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There's a great video on youtube of back to back intake testing where most intakes lost power when swapped. So now we can say that a high speed roll race, in a car that is tuned specifically for the intakes, with exactly equal driving styles and mods MAY see an improvement.....that's quite a tailor made list of conditions to try and prove intakes are worth it.
They didn’t test test the AMS. But even still that “tailored made list” is really all easy basic common things.

So at least we agree all things being equal an intake can have a very slight marginal improvement.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to spend $500 on a CAI...not!

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
Benefit is objective.
Value is subjective.
To each their own.
I believe I said words to that effect in post #20. If someone wants to install a CAI because they want to mod their car, have at it. CAI's are usually where many newcomers to modding start because they are simple to install. For $500 though, a pair of LDPs will do a lot more for the car performance-wise than an aftermarket CAI.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I believe I said words to that effect in post #20. If someone wants to install a CAI because they want to mod their car, have at it. CAI's are usually where many newcomers to modding start because they are simple to install. For $500 though, a pair of LDPs will do a lot more for the car performance-wise than a CAI straight tube aftermarket intake.
Fixed it for you. We already have a CAI. But you knew that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I believe I said words to that effect in post #20. If someone wants to install a CAI because they want to mod their car, have at it. CAI's are usually where many newcomers to modding start because they are simple to install. For $500 though, a pair of LDPs will do a lot more for the car performance-wise than a CAI.
Yeah something to that extent.

They are quick, cheap, and easy. An easy place to start a build from or a first mod. Bang for buck I agree is incredibly low but i do believe they have benefits to overall performance even if very minimal.

Besides a JB4, yes a LDP is the next best bang for buck mod at a similar price to a Intake but 10x the benefit. But many may have plans for both or are too intimidated by a LDP to start. Or want to full DP with a tune but want everything else first.

I did intake just because stage 1 is all the cooling/engine bay items as i work my way back. And I’m probably doing DP when i install my FI CBE but 3 more months on back order. Might get impatient and do before then.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts