Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
This is exactly the point that I was communicating in the "Going to make the Infiniti jump...." thread. They are rebuilding from the Q50 up, and the Q50 itself is more carry-over than what we will be seeing in the future. They more or less had to rush that model in to offer a glimpse of the future, as the V36 G was so old. The FM platform and VQ37VHR will be replaced, and slow-sellers like the FX and M will spawn successors that go in a new direction. People were asking why so long for the Q60, Q70, QX50, and QX70 redesigns, and I said that they are going to take a while as Infiniti basically hit the reset button when De Nysschen arrived. It's good to know that my intuition doesn't fail.:)

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
...thats kind of tough for even me to hear, and I have what I'd like to think realistic expectations. I hope they at least have 1 new model to debut in that time frame along with an extensive refresh of the Q70. But I definitely support the moves they are making, but just don't look forward to the crap people are going to be throwing out there as a result.

But honestly, why is the EX/QX50 not up for a redesign!?!? Its been a dud since it hit the market and it def should have been inline with the Q50 in its redesign. It sux because its sales are horrible, but it has the potential to be that volume model that could leap frog them above Audi is sales and possibly Acura.

I hope things progress quicker... doubt it, but I guess roughs' the word.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
...thats kind of tough for even me to hear, and I have what I'd like to think realistic expectations. I hope they at least have 1 new model to debut in that time frame along with an extensive refresh of the Q70. But I definitely support the moves they are making, but just don't look forward to the crap people are going to be throwing out there as a result.

But honestly, why is the EX/QX50 not up for a redesign!?!? Its been a dud since it hit the market and it def should have been inline with the Q50 in its redesign. It sux because its sales are horrible, but it has the potential to be that volume model that could leap frog them above Audi is sales and possibly Acura.

I hope things progress quicker... doubt it, but I guess roughs' the word.
Crap like this? The Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Will Have 500 Horsepower 'If' They Build It

^ I rarely will get aggrivated to the point of dropping an f-bomb over at FA, but I did for this American Beauty.

As for the QX50, I would suppose that it's high on the list of redesign priorities. Europe already rates that car highly (as high as the Q50 in some publications), and a compact CUV done right is as important to have in one's global arsenal as a premium hatch.

The way I see it, the Q30 comes next, followed by the Q60 and QX50 within a couple of years, and then everything else between 2016 and 2020.

What Jdn is doing is the absolute right approach. Rarely are things in life this black-and-white. We poke fun at the marketing, but the real problem is deeper. Infiniti's failure can be directly attributed to hastily re-inventing itself overnight (thanks to clueless management and overreaction to the market) with little regard for the brand image that it had built up or true premium attributes in its automobiles. Infiniti had done this three times in the past 24 years, each time never building upon what it did before and each time failing to jettison the Nissan-plus aura of its products. It wasn't even until the current M that they stopped using switchgear from Nissan-branded cars, for Pete's sake! The best things that De Nysschen has said so far are that infinitis cannot share parts and designs with Nissan-brand vehicles any more, and that the volume approach to its sales and business model will never allow them to enter tier-one status. For these two assertions alone, I am lead to believe that he's the right guy for Infiniti.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I agree about the EX. Way too small in the backseat and cargo area. Targeting women like they openly admitted they did but not leaving enough room to haul a few kids and groceries was a huge mistake. Although the cockpit on the EX was one of the nicest of its time - and nicer than most since.

The issue, as I see it, is that there are few 'hook' cars that have done really well to induce Ghosn to improve them and even continue the models.

I'm sorry but when I see 600-800 sales of a model per month I can't imagine where the company is making money.

The EX and the most recent M should be retooled and re-released with a focus on sales. the new Merc GLA is going to eat the Ex's lunch and it's virtually the same car.

Infiniti needs to look forward at segments that are desirable and fill those segments with desirable cars. I think Ghosn is washing his hands and letting someone else do that work - hopefully.

I still think it's a hard sell to ask to completely retool a car that hasn't sold and doesn't really have a following or large customer base currently. The problem is, that's exactly what they need to do.

I don't see much happening over the next 2 years though as design cycles are usually much longer than that. Hoping they'll have an 'M' update by the time many Q leases are up or they'll be moving a lot of Q's and making less money.

Fingers crossed - I much prefer the DNA of Infiniti to the other brands and would stay in the family if there were somewhere to go.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had hopes for some info on the next generation Q60 to drop at the detroit show. Even a design concept would have been nice. It's supposed to be a 2016 model with sales likely happening late 2015. Looks like that could be pushed further away.

BUT, being infiniti, at least we know once it does come out, it will be a great product, likely well worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Well, Infiniti has been very quiet about the Q60/Q70 and so, if they were planning on showing anything at the NAIAS, we would've gotten some heads up, so I'm not that disappointed that we haven't heard much but it's fine with me....at least for the next 30 months or so. :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had hopes for some info on the next generation Q60 to drop at the detroit show. Even a design concept would have been nice. It's supposed to be a 2016 model with sales likely happening late 2015. Looks like that could be pushed further away.

BUT, being infiniti, at least we know once it does come out, it will be a great product, likely well worth the wait.
The Q50 doesnt prove that statement too much....Infiniti has dropped quite a few notches in my book.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Isn't the EX just a G37 more or less with a different body?
Yeah, basically a lifted G37 hatchback. The only major problem of EX is cargo space and that's easily fixable. Just copy the shape of Subaru Outback or Audi Allroad and it will sell much better because of better utility.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
With something like th EX (or any cross over style SUV) infinit just needs to start over, and it's going to be hard.
Acura and Audi's are awesome, and so is Lexus if the buyer is ok with the Lexus price points.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
EX/QX50 competes against RDX and Q5. And they kick our butts. The car seems to appeal most to gay couples and single women. Make it a little bigger and give us one with the hybrid drive train. Adapt some of the lines from the Q50 and slap in the InTouch software/UI.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
EX/QX50 competes against RDX and Q5. And they kick our butts. The car seems to appeal most to gay couples and single women. Make it a little bigger and give us one with the hybrid drive train. Adapt some of the lines from the Q50 and slap in the InTouch software/UI.
Nuttin' wrong with offering a niche car to gay couples and single ladies.:) IMO they should continue to offer such a model by making a Q50 wagon. But that's something that I'd like to see sooo much, that I'm almost sure Nissan would never give it to us. Please, corporate, prove me wrong.:D

The QX50 really needs to get bigger and become an X3/GLK/Q5 type of car. The current one is actually smaller (aside from height) than the G37 sedan and Q50.:(

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Cargo space and rear legroom. I wouldn't be able to take it on a long trip with passengers.

Also,mother dash and seats are nicer than the G IMHO.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was lucky enough to get a sneak peak at future models at an Infinti sales conference and the QX30 concept was really interesting! Almost like a Land Rover Evoque competitor. They had their 2015/2016 models there, the Q70 refresh looked good, mainly front end refresh. Q60 will be interesting, but I'm really hoping they do something like the Eau Rouge with it.

Reactions: kd4 and NissLover

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Why should they do so much to make the QX50 larger? It's a small crossover, not an SUV. Small crossovers are pretty much as it's been described so far.

Since I thought it competed directly in the small CUV category, wouldn't making it larger interfere with QX60 sales in the mid-size CUV segment?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.