Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 G37 Sport Sedan. I had a 2007 G35 Sport. My Lease is up soon. I test drove a Q50 Premium gas no hybrid. I thought the stereo was terrible. I was not impressed. My G sounded better to me. Anyone else agree disagree. Please reply I am going to trade my G in very soon. I may go Q50 or I may go G. Any advice pros cons between the 2. Infiniti G previous owners please help.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 2011 G37 Sport Sedan. I had a 2007 G35 Sport. My Lease is up soon. I test drove a Q50 Premium gas no hybrid. I thought the stereo was terrible. I was not impressed. My G sounded better to me. Anyone else agree disagree. Please reply I am going to trade my G in very soon. I may go Q50 or I may go G. Any advice pros cons between the 2. Infiniti G previous owners please help.
As far as I know the Q50 premium has already upgraded stereo. IMO it is better than G37 which I don't own but I used it as a loaner. There are many available adjustments in Q50 Premium audio which you have to play with to get the best of it for you. Everybody has different taste of settings. I love the audio in my Q.

·
Registered
982 Posts
They both sound the same to me. Infiniti uses the Bose system on both "Premium" versions of the car. I think you just have to adjust the settings.

The only reason why it sounds like crap in the Q50 is probably because you were listening to Satellite radio. Everything sounds tinny and crappy with Satellite.

However, my G35 has a 6 Disc changer and it plays DVD audio. The Q50 only plays 1 disc and doesn't support DVD audio. But they make up for it with the apps we're going to get 2 years from now.

·
Registered
181 Posts
They both sound the same to me. Infiniti uses the Bose system on both "Premium" versions of the car. I think you just have to adjust the settings.

The only reason why it sounds like crap in the Q50 is probably because you were listening to Satellite radio. Everything sounds tinny and crappy with Satellite.

However, my G35 has a 6 Disc changer and it plays DVD audio. The Q50 only plays 1 disc and doesn't support DVD audio. But they make up for it with the apps we're going to get 2 years from now.
Hahaha, totally agree with you. And back to the app's, it looks like the only option we have is to go out for a beer and bitch about it because almost everyone else is fine with it. LOL.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Wow a 6 disk CD Changer.
Are you still living in the last decade?

Weather people like it or not, CD changers will be gone from stereo's completely in a few years.
Just like tape decks disappeared.

To the Op..
I think my G has a higher volume capability (louder).
The Q if you have good quality music has very good low end bass up front.
If you use your stereo on full blast it probably cannot compete with your G.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hahaha, totally agree with you. And back to the app's, it looks like the only option we have is to go out for a beer and bitch about it because almost everyone else is fine with it. LOL.
Another owner got Infiniti to buy back his car due to no "predictive lines". Wish I could do the same with the missing apps.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I came from a 2011 G37 as well.

Did you make any adjustments to the Q50 sound settings or did you only listen to the audio on its default or more recent settings?

Also, what audio source were you listening to? FM/AM? Satellite? CD? Aux/USB/iPod?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Wow a 6 disk CD Changer.

Weather people like it or not, CD changers will be gone from stereo's completely in a few years.

To the Op..
Why would a car need a certificate of deposit changer?

Yea, I have noticed that the base seems almost uniform across all volume levels while the treble increases or decreases. I have to say I liked the system in the G37 better, but have gotten used to the one in the Q.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Got a cheap 32 GB USB flash and filled it with hi res music. I estimate that it'll take 250 hours to listen through it once. As to the quality of the reproduction, it's not as good as a decent home unit, but it's the best of any car I've owned.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The stereo in the Q50 is the best that I've had in any car up to this point. I was actually worried initially as I have another vehicle equiped with Bose and it's just plain terrible, even with setting adjustments.
I adjusted some of the settings from the default mode in the Q50, to include switching to center stage or whatever it's called, and I feel it is a very good sound system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I only used bluetooth capability to play audio during test drive. I expected a lot better audio quality. This actually played some role in not buying the car yet. Yes it was bluetooth and yes I know you can connect your phone through wire which will most likely improve the audio quality but I just don't want to deal with wires in year 2014. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I only used bluetooth capability to play audio during test drive. I expected a lot better audio quality. This actually played some role in not buying the car yet. Yes it was bluetooth and yes I know you can connect your phone through wire which will most likely improve the audio quality but I just don't want to deal with wires in year 2014. Just my opinion.
BT isn't as good is the direct connection.
It's rather unfortunate.

From what I have read on here BT compresses your music files a bit which hurts the sound quality.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is a break-in period with the Bose audio system in the Q50 just like many other audio components. I noticed a significant improvement after 100hrs or so of use. FYI, I came from a 2012 G coupe with Bose audio. Happy listenting!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was streaming music from my phones music player via Bluetooth. I tried to adjust the settings. I still like the G better. My lease is almost up. I am about to purchase very soon I am kind of disappointed. Any one happier with there Q50 overall over there previous G. Thanks everyone for replying.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I honestly think that the original V35 G35's Bose kind of sucks (our late 2001 Maxima GLE's was better), but the standard and premium Bose systems in the V36 redesign both were great. The Harmon/Kardon system in my Mercedes E350 rental was awesome. I'd be kind of disappointed if the Q50's Bose is a step down from the V36 G35/37 sedans. But it's no deal breaker. At the NYIAS I'll have to see if there is a Q50 with the audio system enabled (last year intouch was frozen, and I didn't turn it up at the Chicago show, d'oh!).

And vbx is right on about the (lack of) sound quality in satellite radio. But the H/K in my E-class rental car was so good (particularly if you turn off the lame fake surround effect) that it actually made satellite radio sound.... decent.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Wow a 6 disk CD Changer.

To the Op..
Didn't see this one the first time I scanned the thread.

I don't think that CD players are going anywhere. If they truly were on their way out, then the new S-class would not have one. It does, however, and as the S is a good indication of where all cars are going in the next decade, I expect them to hang around into the 20s.

They won't be the complex 6-disc units that we had in the 00s, as cheap, physically compact digital storage solutions with massive amounts of memory have made those obsolete. But some prefer the higher sound quality of a CD. That said, there are HD playback solutions popping up to beat the compression blues. I have always felt that mp3 sounds disgusting, even on a mediocre car stereo. It's almost as bad as satellite radio. :p

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The only media that does not compress files is vinyl. We need to get back to stuff like this:

Chrysler's in-car phonograph | Crave - CNET

It's the best media for hearing scratches, pops, and clicks in full uncompressed fidelity.

Reactions: avanti5010

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
But the point is that the CD files are less compressed. MP3s sound like they're being played off a **** Sega Dreamcast GD-ROM from 1999. Enough with that!

I won't get started on the loudness war. Suffice to say that even CDs have been sounding crappy in recent years.:crying:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.