Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Q50 community I just purchased a 2019 Q50 redsport and was wanting to purchase some intakes. I was looking at AFE,AMS Alpha and stillen. My choice is stillen because it has phenomenal gains but what would you guys recommend.

Thank You!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
If you're itching to mod, save your money and spend it on something other than a CAI. Stillen's claims were based on a Silver Sport, not a Red Sport. You won't see those gains on your RS and as Stillen says "Results may vary". They provide no testing procedures or dyno charts either. The OEM CAI is quite efficient already. You should consider a CBE, FDPs or LDPs and tuning (JB4 or tuner) before installing a CAI. This is assuming performance is why you are considering adding CAIs. If it's just for making your intake sound louder with a touch more turbo spool, then go ahead. Otherwise it's a rather poor investment of ~$500 IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah true I already have a catback exhaust and LDP’s I’m not gonna do FULL downpipes as it could be risky for the OEM turbos... as far as plug and play I am definitely gonna go JB4 as would you say it’s best on market? ... but if I were to get some Intakes which ones would you recommend?

If you're itching to mod, save your money and spend it on something other than a CAI. Stillen's claims were based on a Silver Sport, not a Red Sport. You won't see those gains on your RS and as Stillen says "Results may vary". They provide no testing procedures or dyno charts either. The OEM CAI is quite efficient already. You should consider a CBE, FDPs or LDPs and tuning (JB4 or tuner) before installing a CAI. This is assuming performance is why you are considering adding CAIs. If it's just for making your intake sound louder with a touch more turbo spool, then go ahead. Otherwise it's a rather poor investment of ~$500 IMHO.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
AMS intakes, other brands had some driveability issues especially the Stillen ones. But as Avedis said save your money the gains from the intakes
are pretty small once tuned.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yeah true I already have a catback exhaust and LDP’s I’m not gonna do FULL downpipes as it could be risky for the OEM turbos...
Risky? Huh... I must be living on the edge then since I've had FI Catted DPs and Ecutek tune installed just about two (2) years ago on my '17 Q60 Red Sport.

No issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What about IAT or CAT any data indicating something like AMS intake improves those at all? Obviously AMS Heat exchanger is better at improving those, but if going all out on trying to keep temps cool, does AMS intake show any improvement?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
Yeah true I already have a catback exhaust and LDP’s I’m not gonna do FULL downpipes as it could be risky for the OEM turbos... as far as plug and play I am definitely gonna go JB4 as would you say it’s best on market? ... but if I were to get some Intakes which ones would you recommend?
If someone were to hold a gun to my head and said "Buy CAIs or die!", I'd get the AMS CAIs. Otherwise, I don't think they are worth the money.

As far as boost controllers go, I don't think the JB4 package with Bluetooth, fuel wires and EWG wires can be beat. It's the most cost-effective power improvement you can make. An EcuTek tune by a reputable tuner with VR30 experience will be better than a JB4 but will cost you more money. You can always upgrade from a JB4 to a tune later if you want more power. Used JB4's sell quickly here and you'll get most of your money back to invest in a tune.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
What about IAT or CAT any data indicating something like AMS intake improves those at all? Obviously AMS Heat exchanger is better at improving those, but if going all out on trying to keep temps cool, does AMS intake show any improvement?
AMS makes no claim of improving inlet air temperatures over the OEM CAI probably because the design of their intake boxes isn't any better than the OEM boxes. They both use the car's existing intake cowl to funnel air into the boxes.

I think the biggest advantage the AMS CAIs have is the silicone couplers. The OEM couplers are corrugated which induces turbulence while the AMS couplers are smooth which can help create slightly higher airflow rates at high RPMs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input I appreciate it, I will prob definitely go with AMS intakes as I also liked the sound of the AFE ones you guys don’t recommend AFE? Stillen is off the list now haha. And correct as far as JB4 goes I don’t think there is anything on the market beating that especially for how much control options you have so I will def be going with that over the “USA race chip” which was also an option but you can’t control many features as JB4 offers. My vehicle has lower downpipes but my primary ones are still on and along with running an AFE catback exhaust

If someone were to hold a gun to my head and said "Buy CAIs or die!", I'd get the AMS CAIs. Otherwise, I don't think they are worth the money.

As far as boost controllers go, I don't think the JB4 package with Bluetooth, fuel wires and EWG wires can be beat. It's the most cost-effective power improvement you can make. An EcuTek tune by a reputable tuner with VR30 experience will be better than a JB4 but will cost you more money. You can always upgrade from a JB4 to a tune later if you want more power. Used JB4's sell quickly here and you'll get most of your money back to invest in a tune.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
45 Posts
Thanks for all the input I appreciate it, I will prob definitely go with AMS intakes as I also liked the sound of the AFE ones you guys don’t recommend AFE? Stillen is off the list now haha. And correct as far as JB4 goes I don’t think there is anything on the market beating that especially for how much control options you have so I will def be going with that over the “USA race chip” which was also an option but you can’t control many features as JB4 offers. My vehicle has lower downpipes but my primary ones are still on and along with running an AFE catback exhaust
Intakes will give you no power increase if you are going JB4. You might see benefits if you're going Ecutek. If you care for the sound, get the AFE. If you care for the power, get the AMS. AMS intakes do not give you driving issues due to using the stock maf housing. Other than that, they are not worth the $ unless you are getting a good deal on them.

I know a guy with the Stillen intakes and FBO on JB4. He says he has no problems with them. The intakes are loud for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Risky? Huh... I must be living on the edge then since I've had FI Catted DPs and Ecutek tune installed just about two (2) years ago on my '17 Q60 Red Sport.

No issues.
I talked to Nik from SOHO about his opinion on FDP's. He says the turbo can spin so fast, that sometimes he can't control the speed through the wastegates. It's a hit or miss really. Obviously a piggyback like JB4 has no control over this so going FDP on JB4 may cause the turbos to go bad. I didn't ask him if the turbo speed sensor from Red Sport's can help limit the turbo from over spinning, but I know Ecutek has a tuning parameter for the speed sensor. This is probably why your turbos are not going bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice nice yeah I figured ... what would be the power difference between AFE and AMS like you stated if I want sound go AFE or power go AMS. Yes I’m eventually going to do a JB4 but def won’t be taking my primary’s off

Intakes will give you no power increase if you are going JB4. You might see benefits if you're going Ecutek. If you care for the sound, get the AFE. If you care for the power, get the AMS. AMS intakes do not give you driving issues due to using the stock maf housing. Other than that, they are not worth the $ unless you are getting a good deal on them.

I know a guy with the Stillen intakes and FBO on JB4. He says he has no problems with them. The intakes are loud for sure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
nice nice yeah I figured ... what would be the power difference between AFE and AMS like you stated if I want sound go AFE or power go AMS. Yes I’m eventually going to do a JB4 but def won’t be taking my primary’s off
The AFE are more prone to heatsoak, but on a dyno pull, you won't see that. I am guessing the AFE loses HP compared to the OEM. The AMS may be giving you 5-10whp, but more so in the higher RPM where it matters. The AFE looks like a good design but I think it can still pull in hot air from the engine bay as it is not completely isolated.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
With a stock tune, here's the delta graph of HP comparing the AMS CAI and the OEM CAI:

As you can see, the OEM CAI outperforms the AMS CAI up to about 5500 RPM. Above 5500 RPM, the AMS CAI starts to show a minor improvement up to a maximum delta of 17 HP at about 6300 RPM. Is that worth $500? I don't think so.

Now, with an AMS tune and more air being pushed through the engine, the delta graph changes.

As you can see, the 17 HP maximum increase they claim is the same as before only the RPM range where noticeable HP gains has widened and comes on at a lower RPM.

IMHO, exhaust and downpipe mods should be done first. After that if you are going to add a JB4 or a tune, only then would I consider a CAI like AMS has. Keep in mind this comparison is being done with OEM filters also. If you replace the OEM filters with a quality performance dry or oiled filter that has a lower pressure drop then the delta will not be as great.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
With a stock tune, here's the delta graph of HP comparing the AMS CAI and the OEM CAI:

View attachment 95203

As you can see, the OEM CAI outperforms the AMS CAI up to about 5500 RPM. Above 5500 RPM, the AMS CAI starts to show a minor improvement up to a maximum delta of 17 HP at about 6300 RPM. Is that worth $500? I don't think so.

Now, with an AMS tune and more air being pushed through the engine, the delta graph changes.

View attachment 95204

As you can see, the 17 HP maximum increase they claim is the same as before only the RPM range where noticeable HP gains has widened and comes on at a lower RPM.

IMHO, exhaust and downpipe mods should be done first. After that if you are going to add a JB4 or a tune, only then would I consider a CAI like AMS has. Keep in mind this comparison is being done with OEM filters also. If you replace the OEM filters with a quality performance dry or oiled filter that has a lower pressure drop then the delta will not be as great.
17whp at the top end where the power suffers is quite welcome.

I saw a max delta of 17whp at the top end with my exhaust.

Not that they can be added together, but an exhaust and I ntake that help the top end would help in that last 1000 rpm.

Together they would reduce that power cliff.

All this is assuming that 17whp is true....

·
Premium Member
2016 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
158 Posts
I run AEM drop-in air filters. And Im going to get the BMS intake tubes. Thats it....

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
I run AEM drop-in air filters. And Im going to get the BMS intake tubes. Thats it....
The air ducts after the filter boxes can certainly be improved on given their design:

At higher volumetric flowrates, I have to believe a smooth air duct would provide more airflow than the OEM air duct because of reduced turbulence. I think just replacing the air ducts would provide some of the benefit that the AMS CAI provides for less money.

·
Premium Member
2016 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
158 Posts
The air ducts after the filter boxes can certainly be improved on given their design:

View attachment 95216

At higher volumetric flowrates, I have to believe a smooth air duct would provide more airflow than the OEM air duct because of reduced turbulence. I think just replacing the air ducts would provide some of the benefit that the AMS CAI provides for less money.
BMS makes some tubes to replace that section. These are what I was referring to. A buddy of mine who had a Q50 RedSport at one time told me about them and said they work pretty well. His car was was totalled in 2018 unfortunately....

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I talked to Nik from SOHO about his opinion on FDP's. He says the turbo can spin so fast, that sometimes he can't control the speed through the wastegates. It's a hit or miss really. Obviously a piggyback like JB4 has no control over this so going FDP on JB4 may cause the turbos to go bad. I didn't ask him if the turbo speed sensor from Red Sport's can help limit the turbo from over spinning, but I know Ecutek has a tuning parameter for the speed sensor. This is probably why your turbos are not going bad.
Boost creep! Especially for fully gutted DPs

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,837 Posts
BMS makes some tubes to replace that section. These are what I was referring to. A buddy of mine who had a Q50 RedSport at one time told me about them and said they work pretty well. His car was was totalled in 2018 unfortunately....

Z1 and HPS both made silicone intake tubes for the 3.7. Only Z1 makes them for the 3.0t (that I know of). Z1 has never made HP/TQ claims for their tubes (that I know of). For the HPS 3.7 tubes, HPS claimed 6.X and 6.X WHP/WTQ gains, with a dyno. Not sure we can compare the 3.7 and 3.0t gains but, if we can, 6-7WHP ain't too shabby.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts