Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
First, I'd say the 328i is the poor mans M3...Only because a 335 with reasonable options will cost very close to an M3 anyway.

Second, I wouldn't compare a Q50 to a 335i, but rather a 328i.

I say that because as far as performance and pricing goes, the 335 will smoke the current G sedan on the track. Also you can get upwards of $60k in optioning out a similarly equipped 335i, especially if it's a 335xi.

With that said, loaded option for option, the Q50 is always going to end up on top as far as pricing goes. That's one advantage for those looking for the best bang for the buck. I test drove a 2011 BMW 328i a few years ago and I wasn't too impressed with it. Granted, it was rather barebones on tech and it didn't have a sport package on it either..

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't the 328i around 250hp? vs the 330hp of the G37 and maybe more on the Q50 I don't know if I'd ever get a 328i over a Q50. I only compared the 335 based on specs. It does get expensive once you spec the 335i though. Reason why I'd never get one :)

And of course maintenance costs..

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Isn't the 328i around 250hp? vs the 330hp of the G37 and maybe more on the Q50 I don't know if I'd ever get a 328i over a Q50. I only compared the 335 based on specs. It does get expensive once you spec the 335i though. Reason why I'd never get one :)

And of course maintenance costs..
The 328i, despite having a horsepower of 240, can still get to 60 in 5.8 seconds.

The 335i can hit 60 in around 5.0

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I've heard that with a little modding and some enhancements, the G37 can definitely hit 5.0, but the 335i can usually hit 5.0 on stock.

Usually the G37x gets to 60 in around 5.6 on stock if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very respectable numbers. I went to a BMW dealership to take a close look at the 335i and I think the interior is a huge improvement. I love how it looks too. I am not a huge fan of the steering. I find the steering to be kind of loose feeling at lower speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
By no means is the G37 sedan slow. It is slower off the line compared to the 335 due to BMW's turbo in its 3.0 six. But the G37 sedan begins to pull very hard in mid to top end range thanks to its displacement. i have messed around with many 335 and have yet to lose while on the freeway. Both cars are amazing though. IMO the 335 handles a bit better than the G. But with minor modifications the G can seriously handle any curve you throw at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Q50S or 335i?

So my G37S lease is up in less than 6 months and I'm considering my options - I'm a big researcher. It's down to a Q50S, a 335i, or MAYBE an IS350 - it's a big maybe because of the styling mainly. I drove the 335i in 2011 before I went with the G with interior room being a primary consideration. I understand the 335i is a bit bigger now so I'll have to drive it again as I loved the drivetrain - very quick and smoooth...

I'm know others had similar thoughts - what made you go with the Q50?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
So my G37S lease is up in less than 6 months and I'm considering my options - I'm a big researcher. It's down to a Q50S, a 335i, or MAYBE an IS350 - it's a big maybe because of the styling mainly. I drove the 335i in 2011 before I went with the G with interior room being a primary consideration. I understand the 335i is a bit bigger now so I'll have to drive it again as I loved the drivetrain - very quick and smoooth...

If you want to be complete in your research, you might want to also check out a S60 R-Design, Cadillac ATS, Lincoln MKZ, and Acura TL...

·
Registered
58 Posts

Try the M Sport 335i with HUD & the MPPK installed. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I'm not sure why that's disappointing but here's a quick rundown on my rationale, which is personal opinion of course:

Audi A4: drove the 2011 - loved the interior, couldn't get past the turbo lag and head hitting the roof in the back seat. I don't want/need a big back seat but want it to be usable. Same reason I didn't consider previous version IS. I plan to give it another try though, along with an S4....

335i: previously mentioned - will try 535i too...

Caddie/Lincoln: don't care for the styling and though I'm 51 still don't feel old enough to consider....

Lexus: IS maybe, GS still possible and will drive.....

Mercedes: really? I just can't see myself driving one...

Volvo: I actually plan to check out the R60 R design but I'm not too hopeful. Years of hearing of electrical problems and also following Volvo's on the road count against them for me. I guess in my mind Volvo=Buick - I get them same feeling when I come up on one secure in their ultra-safe car, carefully working towards their destination....

I grew up driving Honda's and Nissan's and always loved the quality. As I'm currently driving a G37S the Q50S is already the frontrunner...

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Caddie/Lincoln: don't care for the styling and though I'm 51 still don't feel old enough to consider....
You see?

That right there is what's disappointing. That's no kind of answer man. You need to keep up with the recent times with those two companies. They've spent a great deal of effort re-branding themselves and appealing to the younger consumers and I feel like people's perceptions of those companies are the only thing holding them back. I just don't like it when people don't even try to consider them as options.

I really hope that you re-consider them--I've heard really strong things about the MKZ and I've tested the ATS myself and if it weren't for a few things, I'd think it would be a extremely strong contender in this segment.

As much as I don't like Mercedes right now, I've driven the C-Class multiple times and they aren't bad cars at all, just overpriced. If you can find a really good deal on a C350 (heck, even the C300 Sport 4Matic is solid for every day driving), they might be worth a shot. They have great quality record over the other German competitors as well.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.