1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Wow, G Sedan sales are way down too. Last month, they sold 3,020 G Sedans, this month they only sold 1,777. That is a 41% decrease from last month. The M Line dropped from 491 last month to only 370, a 25% drop. The Q50 sold 2,434 in 3 weeks in August (on sale date of August 7). In September, it dropped to 2,367 over a full 4-week month. To compare August to September, I subtracted out a week in September (2,367/4*3=1,775). That's a 27% drop from last month.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wow, G Sedan sales are way down too. Last month, they sold 3,020 G Sedans, this month they only sold 1,777. That is a 41% decrease from last month. The M Line dropped from 491 last month to only 370, a 25% drop. The Q50 sold 2,434 in 3 weeks in August (on sale date of August 7). In September, it dropped to 2,367 over a full 4-week month. To compare August to September, I subtracted out a week in September (2,367/4*3=1,775). That's a 27% drop from last month.
Normal drop off from August to September every year.. at least in my area

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They sold less Q50's this month than last month. And last month was not even a full month of sales.

How much, do you think, is due to the second round of updates and should October number project higher?

I know you are not Infiniti Corporate, but you have already become an Elder Statesman on the board.:D

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I wouldn't put too much weight into the drop. Overall the industry is down this month. Everyone is reporting declines this month it seems or small increases. BUT I can't say that the Q50 will be the runaway success Infiniti needs it to be based off of these numbers. Hopefully next month is better for them but the press has been VERY hard on the Q50 and its probably not going to change. Also the CLA is probably the biggest threat to the Q50 as it now has the mid $30k-40k on lock which is where the G dwelled. Same thing happened with the M and the Hyundai Genesis.

But its still too early to call.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I wouldn't put too much weight into the drop. Overall the industry is down this month. Everyone is reporting declines this month it seems or small increases. BUT I can't say that the Q50 will be the runaway success Infiniti needs it to be based off of these numbers. Hopefully next month is better for them but the press has been VERY hard on the Q50 and its probably not going to change. Also the CLA is probably the biggest threat to the Q50 as it now has the mid $30k-40k on lock which is where the G dwelled. Same thing happened with the M and the Hyundai Genesis.

But its still too early to call.
Surely they wanted a big BOOM of initial sales and that has not happened. The IS also is outselling the Q50 by a good margin and both are brand new priced the same and aimed at one another so that is a pretty fair comparison. Maybe some good winter/December incentives spurs sales of the Q50 and it re-launches into 2014.

Of note, Mercedes sold 2,310 CLA's in little over a week:eek::eek: In the industry this is a very hyped and talked about vehicle and the sales reflect it. I saw 4 already over the weekend. (mind you its a cheaper vehicle, just kinda of shocked at that initial sales pace.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My G37 S listed for around $44K. The same equipment level on a Q50 is closing in on $50K. In addition, the money factor and residual on Q50 lease deals made the cost of a Q50 a big increase over the G37 at the same time that other car makers were running great lease deals. I think the problem is two part: the price and the mostly poor reviews.

They have already reacted to these sales numbers by sweetening the lease deals in the middle of Sept. Hopefully even better for the year end. Now if they would just let us have some "non-run-flat" tires with the spare tire package they might find themselves with a jump in sales.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My G37 S listed for around $44K. The same equipment level on a Q50 is closing in on $50K. In addition, the money factor and residual on Q50 lease deals made the cost of a Q50 a big increase over the G37 at the same time that other car makers were running great lease deals. I think the problem is two part: the price and the mostly poor reviews.

They have already reacted to these sales numbers by sweetening the lease deals in the middle of Sept. Hopefully even better for the year end. Now if they would just let us have some "non-run-flat" tires with the spare tire package they might find themselves with a jump in sales.
I was always a huge ANTI run flat guy.. Infiniti adjusted the spring ratio on the Q50 to off set the harshness though.. given that, what is the issue with the run flats? Not meant to debate, just a serious question..

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
RFT are expansive and you can't get them everywhere besides the ride a bit harsher. ALL Car manufacturers are reducing their cost by removing tools (jack, lug wrench etc) and transferring the cost to consumers. RFY once puncher-ed will be difficult to repair if need arises.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
It almost hurts sometimes to try to read some posts - "puncher-ed"? :(

To answer the question: I never had RFTs, and only knew about them from reports here and elsewhere on the Internet. When I drove home with my hybrid that first day, it was like riding without shock absorbers. I have come to realize that part of the problem was the stiffer sport suspension, but the ride noticeably improved when I put "regular" tires on a few days later. The RFTs were also very much louder than the non-RFTs. I do see why they may be necessary with the hybrid, due to lack of room for a spare, but I've compensated for that with the power tire inflator, which I carry in the trunk. I feel that the ideal "fix" here would be for manufacturers to figure out how to place the li-ion battery in a way to allow for a spare.

·
Registered
137 Posts
From reading some of the reviews I think that the RFTs do not handle as well as regular tires. Most people who have already upgraded the tires see a big improvement in ride and handling. That is in addition to RFTs being harder to find, more expensive and I hear they wear faster. I'd like to put regular tires on a Q50 and have some of those magazines re-test. I would be curious to see how a non-DAS with regular tires would do. It would make an interesting comparison article.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I agree. I also own a G37S, coming up on end of lease in a few months. Infiniti used to have an advantage on price but now the 328/335 numbers are comparable. I drove both yesterday and was impressed - Infiniti may have just lost another customer...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hopefully this market pressure will result in better deals come the end of the year. I'm trying to hold off buying a new car until December and perhaps the last week of the year to try and score a good deal. At this point, it's between the Q50 Sport RWD and the Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD. However, BMW can also be in the mix if I start seeing some great deals.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.