1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Was happy to see the G scoring 95 and the M scoring 93! :D
Consumer Reports names its top-scoring cars - Yahoo! Autos
awwww yeah

The G just does so much so well. Sure, there are some cars that are faster. There are some cars that look better--but there's always a tradeoff on unnecessary price premiums, hard-to-use interfaces, and higher maintenance costs.

You want a great package with none of the fuss, you gotta go with Infiniti.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
awwww yeah

The G just does so much so well. Sure, there are some cars that are faster. There are some cars that look better--but there's always a tradeoff on unnecessary price premiums, hard-to-use interfaces, and higher maintenance costs.

You want a great package with none of the fuss, you gotta go with Infiniti.
Make & model Price as tested Overall test score
Tesla Model S (base, 85 kWh) $89,650 99
BMW 135i $37,650 97
Infiniti G37 (sedan) $37,225 95
Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE $29,052 93
Audi A6 (3.0T) $56,295 93
Infiniti M37 $53,825 93
Lexus LS 460L $79,354 92
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 $64,890 92
Hyundai Genesis 3.8 (sedan) $39,850 92
Toyota Camry XLE (V6) $32,603 92
Audi A8 L $91,275 91
Honda Accord LX (4-cyl.) $23,270 90
Honda Accord EX-L (V6) $30,860 90
I was surprised at how the bmw 1 series beat the infiniti G37 by 2 points. I had no idea that the 1 series was up there in ranking. The new 2 series will be strong competition the upcoming year but the Q50 will put up a good fight i am sure.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
How credible is Consumer Reports compared to car publications like Autoweek and Motortrend? They seem to review everything and anything.
Consumer Reports has been around for a really really long time. They're quite credible on their legacy alone. The only thing is that they don't specialize in just cars like Motortrend or Autoweek (even though it's probably their primary focus).

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Ummm. CR doesn't take money from advertisers. So, do you want to believe the magazines whose entire living is focused on selling advertising to car companies, or the company who have reviewed cars for decades and don't have any bias based on money? Your choice.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Ummm. CR doesn't take money from advertisers. So, do you want to believe the magazines whose entire living is focused on selling advertising to car companies, or the company who have reviewed cars for decades and don't have any bias based on money? Your choice.
Thank you!

From time I have always looked upon consumer reports to seek the best advice and reviews of vehicles I am interested in.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Thank you!

From time I have always looked upon consumer reports to seek the best advice and reviews of vehicles I am interested in.
Yeah I feel the same way about CR. They sell a magazine and a subscription to their website, so they're totally self-sufficient as far as I know. The reasoning is since nobody is paying them, they can be truly unbiased. I've always liked their format, their honesty, and the "at a glance" car guides that include all the data they've been able to collect for each model. This makes it easy to spot trends in quality. Lexus and Toyota typically get the solid red dot across the board for many models. Infiniti is also one of their favorites. They are brutal with BMW and Mercedes though, which when viewed strictly from a quality and maintenance perspective, they both kinda stink.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I would take all reviews with a grain of salt.

The dedicated car mags are too focused on performance, at the cost of everyday use. Consumer reports relies too much on reports from its readers in assessing reliability, resulting in some times flawed results on small sample sizes (see Porsche reliability ratings, for example).

As always, test drive the car and go with what your gut tells you.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I would take all reviews with a grain of salt.

The dedicated car mags are too focused on performance, at the cost of everyday use. Consumer reports relies too much on reports from its readers in assessing reliability, resulting in some times flawed results on small sample sizes (see Porsche reliability ratings, for example).

As always, test drive the car and go with what your gut tells you.
Hey, another new member!

I agree with you 100x. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.