Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A major complaint used to be seat belt retractions in Infinitis from 03 g35----to 2009 g37s) but it seems Q50 seat belt retraction system has solved the problem for good. I really like that seat belt retracts in Q50 in two steps.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Agreed. I keep looking for my wife's car to do the same when I get in. The Q50 has spoiled me.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I like it too. I was a bit surprised by the auto retraction at first - nice touch. I've had an M and 2 G's and the belts would get stuck in the door periodically.

Is this just on the models with the tech package or all Q's?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Sounds like you have the pre crash seatbelts that are part of the tech package. A motor snugs them down when you clip on, then relaxes them slightly - making sure they're on right. And when you take them off, the motor retracts them. And of course they'll tighten down if the car senses it is about to crash.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Sounds like you have the pre crash seatbelts that are part of the tech package. A motor snugs them down when you clip on, then relaxes them slightly - making sure they're on right. And when you take them off, the motor retracts them. And of course they'll tighten down if the car senses it is about to crash.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thank you sir. That's what I figured.

Had the tech package in the last 3 Infinitis and had the benefit of the pre-crash belts tightening for me on a few occasions. A bit scary but comforting at the same time?

Figured the tech package had them retracting now. It really is a nice feature.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What did the fix? What didn't work well about it in the G37's?
The belt did not retract on my g35, g37 convertible or even fx45 all with tech pkg. on g37 convertible the retractors had to be replaced and even than the belts don't retract like Q50s belts. Two step motorized retractors.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
What did the fix? What didn't work well about it in the G37's?
My M and G's didn't have retracting belts at all. They did go into a pre-tension mode when anticipating a collision but they were more of a 'typical' seatbelt setup where you us clicked the belt and a non-motorized retraction occurred. This often left me with extra slack at the end and I would sometimes close the door on the belt or connector.

The Q (with tech as mentioned above) has a motorized retraction of the belt that pulls it back in place. Not like the old fashioned Hondas that ran along the roofline but just a nice pull of the belts into place.

I wasn't expecting this and, since I hadn't driven a Q with tech on any test drives, it was a pleasant surprise for me when I took delivery.

Reactions: chicagokevo

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I thought that there was something different about how the seat belts work. I had an '07 G, 2nd generation. It wasn't a sport model, and didn't have a tech package. However, I never had a problem with the seat belts retracting automatically whenever I unhooked them, and they would lock up if they were pulled harder(which is what they were supposed to do). The only thing that seems different about the belts in the Q50 is that they seem to retract with a smoother motion. Other than that, what is the difference that you are seeing?

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
When I first saw the Q50 for the first time at the Launch Event I remember the Rep stating that the automatic retracting seatbelts was a new feature, because there had been some complaints and issues from customers in the past about seatbelts not retracting properly and being caught in the door at exit. One of the sales guys also mentioned that they had a couple customers that had come in the back and complain that the metal hooking part had gotten caught in the door and damaged them.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
When I first saw the Q50 for the first time at the Launch Event I remember the Rep stating that the automatic retracting seatbelts was a new feature, because there had been some complaints and issues from customers in the past about seatbelts not retracting properly and being caught in the door at exit. One of the sales guys also mentioned that they had a couple customers that had come in the back and complain that the metal hooking part had gotten caught in the door and damaged them.
Selzini - see above. It sounds to me like the retractor is motorized in my Q. There is a slight motor sound when the seat belt retratcts - unless I'm hearing things :)

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Selzini - see above. It sounds to me like the retractor is motorized in my Q. There is a slight motor sound when the seat belt retratcts - unless I'm hearing things :)
Yes, you are hearing things. It's the slight motor sound when the seat belt retracts.:D

By the way...I know that's what you said.:)

Reactions: jkay

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an issue with mine that is currently being worked on in service.. Mine won't stop retracting and releasing.. It's constantly retracting releasing on anything that sets of any of the motion detectors or automated tech functions.. Had the driver side seatbelt replaced today and that didn't fix the problem. Anyone else seen this issue?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an issue with mine that is currently being worked on in service.. Mine won't stop retracting and releasing.. It's constantly retracting releasing on anything that sets of any of the motion detectors or automated tech functions.. Had the driver side seatbelt replaced today and that didn't fix the problem. Anyone else seen this issue?
nope.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you have the pre crash seatbelts that are part of the tech package. A motor snugs them down when you clip on, then relaxes them slightly - making sure they're on right. And when you take them off, the motor retracts them. And of course they'll tighten down if the car senses it is about to

For some reason the seat belt won't auto retract or auto tighten up when on. I can hear the motor when unlocked and clicked in seatbelts. Any ideas why uts. It working or how to fix it? The motor sounds strong, just doesn't retract.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.