Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INFINITI posted their November sales data and every single model in their entire lineup declined in sales year over year.

Their total sales are down over 30% from the same time frame last year and over 19% for the entire year.

December 2018 was one of the best sales months INFINITI has ever had. They would need to DOUBLE their November 2019 sales in December to just match last year’s sales.

Nissan’s sales were not good this month but nowhere near as bad as INFINITI’s sales.

I turned my leased 2016 Q50 SS in last month. The place was like a ghost town. No shoppers and hardly any salespeople but they had a lot full of brand new 2020 model cars and SUVs.
The finance guy who took my lease turn in said that they just can’t compete anymore with other manufacturers for new car sales.

My biggest concern wasn’t so much that INFINITI will go out of business. My concern is that the only local INFINITI dealership would go under. One of the biggest advantages of INFINITI was that the dealership was only 1 mile from my house.

From the way the finance guy was talking it didn’t sound like they were doing too well financially.

Most of the time when a company has poor sales like this it is because they have a brand new vehicle coming out that everyone is waiting for.

INFINITI only has the QX55 slated to come out. I don’t think that vehicle is going to save the entire brand

They just have too much competition now. I tried to buy a Kia Telluride and the wait list was 6 months. They sell absolutely every single Telluride they get in for at least full sticker price. Sometimes they get as much as $20k over sticker.

The discounts on INFINITI vehicles are always massive.

I have been a massive fan of INFINITI since my first G35 in 2005. However, 15 years later and after 7 different INFINITI vehicles later I decided it was time to move on to another brand that didn’t have so much uncertainty around it.

Hopefully INFINITI can right this ship but it is going to take a lot more than the QX55 to accomplish that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love my Q50, but Infiniti is so far behind others (even Nissan in some areas) that I'm not surprised. If you want to compete, don't half ass it, as Infiniti has, and continues to do. The 2020 is almost identical to the 2014 in so many areas. That's apathy, and they're getting spanked for it. No sympathy.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
may be a good time for me to see if I can trade up from my 2018 DAS to a 2020 non DAS

·
Registered
586 Posts
I strongly suggest you search for Infiniti news or check the forum for current updates.

Infiniti is planning on several new models within the very near future including some absolutely incredible Hybrid, EV’s and gas models. One of the offerings include a revolutionary new Hybrid system.

“Infiniti calls it a hybrid, but in reality, it’s what’s known as a series hybrid: the gasoline engine is only used to charge the battery or run the electric motors, not to directly drive the wheels. With this set-up, the battery pack will never need to be recharged manually and you won’t be needing access to a charging port. The takeaway here is that it’s not a plug-in hybrid.”

Don’t forget the incredible technology Infiniti has over other car manufacturers when it comes to semi-autonomous driving. Infiniti is ranked in the top 3 with Tesla and GM.

As proven by the crash in 2008 a reduction in dealerships is a very good thing for the automotive companies. Weeding out dealerships that underperform and have to sell cars at high discounts is good for the brand but unfortunately not always good for the consumer.

As a recent Infiniti fan I’m extremely excited about the future of Infiniti and the new models coming. The coming decade is going to bold well for Nissan and Infiniti.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A car Recession is coming, has been projected for years. Luckily, Infiniti won't take such a huge hit as the other brands and there is new product coming.

We had a good month at our store but are down year to year. It's going to be a struggle for a bit but it will get better. What these declines mean is that more features are out into less option packages. And huge discounts. Keep your head up and don't assume the worst, it's not as bad as you think.

Been doing this for 8 years, I know a thing or two. Atleaset I think I do.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A car Recession is coming, has been projected for years. Luckily, Infiniti won't take such a huge hit as the other brands and there is new product coming.

We had a good month at our store but are down year to year. It's going to be a struggle for a bit but it will get better. What these declines mean is that more features are out into less option packages. And huge discounts. Keep your head up and don't assume the worst, it's not as bad as you think.

Thank you for your post. I understand the optimism with the products that are slated for the future. My intent is not to just bash INFINITI because I have hopes of one day returning to the brand. However, I also want everyone to be aware of what the situation really is right now.

INFINITI definitely has some technologies in the future that will be class leading. Their hybrid and autonomous systems will be class leading when they come out.

The problem is what will the brand look like when those technologies do come out? Those technologies aren’t slated for the near future, are they?

My understanding is that the QX55 will simply be a fast back version of the current QX50 with the same Variable Compression 4 cylinder engine.

I don’t think you will see any of the new technologies until near the end of 2020 at the soonest.

I can’t help but look at the sedan and especially the coupe sales and think “That is where I would cut my losses”.

Now I don’t know what the margins are like quite like you do but just looking at the sales figures I would have to assume that 2020 is the last year for the Q60. In addition I could see them holding off on replacing the Q50 in favor of refreshing the QX60 and bringing back some sort of performance SUV like the QX70.

I honestly wonder if INFINITI will continue to make anything but SUVs after the 2020 model year? However, you definitely know better than me on this. Is the Q50 still a viable product in its current form?

I have to wonder who is buying the Q50 now over the Kia Stinger, Genesis G70, BMW 3 series.....etc. Those cars aren’t doing great with sales either but at the moment it looks like the Q50 is having the toughest time moving cars.

So what do you think the INFINITI lineup will look like in December of 2020? Do you think there will be more than 2 new vehicles? Do you think the new technologies will be out by then? Do you think the Q50 and Q60 will continue on after the 2020 model year?

And perhaps most importantly do you think your bread and butter QX60 will finally have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto by then?😬

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thank you for your post. I understand the optimism with the products that are slated for the future. My intent is not to just bash INFINITI because I have hopes of one day returning to the brand. However, I also want everyone to be aware of what the situation really is right now.

INFINITI definitely has some technologies in the future that will be class leading. Their hybrid and autonomous systems will be class leading when they come out.

The problem is what will the brand look like when those technologies do come out? Those technologies aren’t slated for the near future, are they?

My understanding is that the QX55 will simply be a fast back version of the current QX50 with the same Variable Compression 4 cylinder engine.

I don’t think you will see any of the new technologies until near the end of 2020 at the soonest.

I can’t help but look at the sedan and especially the coupe sales and think “That is where I would cut my losses”.

Now I don’t know what the margins are like quite like you do but just looking at the sales figures I would have to assume that 2020 is the last year for the Q60. In addition I could see them holding off on replacing the Q50 in favor of refreshing the QX60 and bringing back some sort of performance SUV like the QX70.

I honestly wonder if INFINITI will continue to make anything but SUVs after the 2020 model year? However, you definitely know better than me on this. Is the Q50 still a viable product in its current form?

I have to wonder who is buying the Q50 now over the Kia Stinger, Genesis G70, BMW 3 series.....etc. Those cars aren’t doing great with sales either but at the moment it looks like the Q50 is having the toughest time moving cars.

So what do you think the INFINITI lineup will look like in December of 2020? Do you think there will be more than 2 new vehicles? Do you think the new technologies will be out by then? Do you think the Q50 and Q60 will continue on after the 2020 model year?

And perhaps most importantly do you think your bread and butter QX60 will finally have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto by then?😬
Reading is fundamental.

• Infiniti has shared some of its plans for five new models in the next three years, three of which will feature new electrified powertrains.
  • An SUV based on the QX Inspiration concept will feature the brand's first all-electric powertrain.
  • A pair of sedans based on the Q Inspiration and Qs Inspiration concepts will feature a version of parent company Nissan's e-Power gas-generated EV/hybrid arrangement.

·
Registered
586 Posts

It’s not just nearly as bad as the OP thinks? It’s not even close.

Infiniti/Nissan is in a outstanding (awesome lol) place for the coming decade. Consumers will demand better semi-autonomous and more electrified vehicles. The company is set as a leader in both.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading is fundamental.

• Infiniti has shared some of its plans for five new models in the next three years, three of which will feature new electrified powertrains.
  • An SUV based on the QX Inspiration concept will feature the brand's first all-electric powertrain.
  • A pair of sedans based on the Q Inspiration and Qs Inspiration concepts will feature a version of parent company Nissan's e-Power gas-generated EV/hybrid arrangement.
I think you have way too much confidence that those vehicles are going to be produced sooner rather than later.

It is all fine and dandy to say you have a future car that is going to take over the market. However, how are you going to survive until then if that is 1-2 years from now?

If you can find suckers who buy your 2014 vehicles for 2020 brand new prices then more power to you.

If not then have fun waiting till 2021 to get your saving grace.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think you have way too much confidence that those vehicles are going to be produced sooner rather than later.

It is all fine and dandy to say you have a future car that is going to take over the market. However, how are you going to survive until then if that is 1-2 years from now?

If you can find suckers who buy your 2014 vehicles for 2020 brand new prices then more power to you.

If not then have fun waiting till 2021 to get your saving grace.
2021 models are a mere 9 to 10 months away. Survive? Nissan/Infiniti is strong enough company to weather poor sales until new models arrive. Dealerships should be strong enough also. If they are not, Infiniti is much better off losing dealerships that cannot handle a sales slump. This was proven without a doubt in 2008. The crash rid car manufacturers of dealerships that were run poorly and not profitable. This enabled stronger dealerships to expand, rebuild and sell vehicles at a higher profit margin.

One of the main reasons Infiniti in particular has been slow with new model rollouts is the tremendous amount of money they have spent in technological development and advances. The technology of Infiniti semi-autonomous vehicles is ranked one of the best in the industry. The electrification of their vehicles will produce increased sales and competition for Tesla and other manufacturers that have spent R&D dollars on electric platforms.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
It seems to me most upscale automakers spend more time and money promoting the "lifestyle" aspect of owning one of their products rather than the product itself.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Marketing doesn't seem to be good and they really dropped the ball by not doing anything Dramatic I.E. offering a true performance rival to the Germans. Some Variant to compete with a true AMG, M or RS car should have come out years ago. Not to mention they take too long to make changes. There's not enough customization , I know it may increase the price but it would be nice to be able to pick more than 2 interior colors and in the case of the Red Sport Sedan only 1 option. Black. WTF

·
Registered
379 Posts
Marketing doesn't seem to be good and they really dropped the ball by not doing anything Dramatic I.E. offering a true performance rival to the Germans. Some Variant to compete with a true AMG, M or RS car should have come out years ago. Not to mention they take too long to make changes. There's not enough customization , I know it may increase the price but it would be nice to be able to pick more than 2 interior colors and in the case of the Red Sport Sedan only 1 option. Black. WTF
Marketing has nothing to do with offering a true rival. That's R&D.

Sure, we don't have a AMG or M line. But, we have a partnership for sleek products with one of the most respected aftermarket company in the business, AMS.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I've owned 5 Infiniti's and am definitely loyal to the brand. All of the plans they have sound great, but they've gone years without much significant innovation. Sure, the QX50 with its innovative engine is a step in the right direction. And what they have for the future sounds promising, but the products are not here now and potential buyers are turning to other automakers who have current innovative products.

I don't think Infiniti's future is helped by the struggles of its parent company either. When I replace my Q50 next year, I'm going to keep it as a backup vehicle because it ranks as one of my favorite cars that I've owned. But I just don't currently see anything in the lineup that would entice me to stay with the brand. I hope they prove me wrong but I'm concerned that by the time they do come out with something innovative for their lineup, they'll have lost a lot of their potential buyers.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Infiniti's variable compression engine will disappear with less fanfare than Mazda's use of a Miller Cycle engine in their Millenia sedan and and hopefully doesn't bite them in the arse like GM's V8-6-4 back in the 80s. The VC is an answer to a question no one asked, or al least a poor answer to a question someone asked. A big waste of engineering dollars that could have been better spent in many more areas.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've owned 5 Infiniti's and am definitely loyal to the brand. All of the plans they have sound great, but they've gone years without much significant innovation. Sure, the QX50 with its innovative engine is a step in the right direction. And what they have for the future sounds promising, but the products are not here now and potential buyers are turning to other automakers who have current innovative products.

I don't think Infiniti's future is helped by the struggles of its parent company either. When I replace my Q50 next year, I'm going to keep it as a backup vehicle because it ranks as one of my favorite cars that I've owned. But I just don't currently see anything in the lineup that would entice me to stay with the brand. I hope they prove me wrong but I'm concerned that by the time they do come out with something innovative for their lineup, they'll have lost a lot of their potential buyers.

The QX50 engine is a huge step in the right direction that included a lot of well needed good press for Infiniti. The engine will without question be copied by other automotive manufacturers. This investment will clearly pay off for Nissan/Infiniti in the future.

Japanese companies are much different than American and European companies. They have never been year to year profit driven. Investment in the future and often far out in the future has always been the Japanese business model. This is why Nissan/Infiniti are far ahead of competitors with semi-autonomous and autonomous vehicles. The tremendous technology investment in autonomous vehicles will pay huge dividends in the coming decades.

They are poised to pull ahead of most companies with the coming electrification of their vehicles. The new Hybrid engines are a clear indication as to how R&D money has been spent. The idea of a self charging hybrid power train is revolutionary. The ability to change vehicles quickly during the manufacturing process from full electric to gas charging electric is clearly a huge step ahead of the competition. You also will soon see electric charging stations at your local Infiniti dealerships.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Infiniti's variable compression engine will disappear with less fanfare than Mazda's use of a Miller Cycle engine in their Millenia sedan and and hopefully doesn't bite them in the arse like GM's V8-6-4 back in the 80s. The VC is an answer to a question no one asked, or al least a poor answer to a question someone asked. A big waste of engineering dollars that could have been better spent in many more areas.
I'm not sure what the timeline was for the development of this engine but they introduced it at a time when the future appears to be electrification. Assuming development was delayed as many things at Infiniti seem to have been, it's nearly obsolete at it's introduction.

I realize that they are now working towards electrification in their lineup but it just feels like they're several steps behind other automakers. The hybrid Q50 should have been the start of something. Instead they don't even make it anymore and they didn't execute any other meaningful hybrid in their lineup since the Q50 hybrid was introduced. A lost opportunity in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Infiniti's variable compression engine will disappear with less fanfare ... The VC is an answer to a question no one asked, or al least a poor answer to a question someone asked. A big waste of engineering dollars that could have been better spent in many more areas.
I'm not ready to put the nail in the coffin on the VC engine yet, but it does seem to not lead to any meaningful differentiation from any other good 4 cyl turbo engine. In other words, the gas mileage vs power ratio doesn't seem significantly better than other well designed engines.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm not sure what the timeline was for the development of this engine but they introduced it at a time when the future appears to be electrification. Assuming development was delayed as many things at Infiniti seem to have been, it's nearly obsolete at it's introduction.

I realize that they are now working towards electrification in their lineup but it just feels like they're several steps behind other automakers. The hybrid Q50 should have been the start of something. Instead they don't even make it anymore and they didn't execute any other meaningful hybrid in their lineup since the Q50 hybrid was introduced. A lost opportunity in my opinion.
I don't agree with this take. It seems to me that Infiniti has been working on electrification for quite some time now. I do believe they will be releasing advanced electrified vehicles before most of their competitors. Who do you think is ahead of them in that respect?

The VR and VC engines were gap fillers from the old VQ days to the future electric offerings. They canceled the hybrid due to lack of demand and clearly made the decision to go all-in on electrification instead of continuing to produce a hybrid and will likely offer combustion engines for a period of time as well.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts