·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I hate it. Sorry, not sorry. I hate it.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,699 Posts
If the revised Q50 looks anything like that, I'm definitely moving on.

Reactions: Kraken

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,699 Posts
I just love it when concept cars are shown that don't even loosely meet any federal design regulations. The final design will look nothing like this, or at worst will be a bast4rd stepchild.
Fixed.

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
1,061 Posts
I just love it when concept cars are shown that don't even loosely meet any federal design regulations. The final design will look nothing like this, or at worst will be a distant cousin.
I mean our cars design language is based on a 2009 Concept which I find horrible looking. The front looks closer to the Q70 which I am not a fan of. The actual car will be a much more dumbed-down version of this.

The biggest thing I am catching here is that Infiniti seems to be moving over from the curvy design of the Qs to a more modern design with more aggressive edges - but not quite boxy. I do think the fascia will carry over though, looks like most other EV fascias.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I mean the QX80 concept is what was shown and its just that concept, doesn't look like its a ready for production in current form.
It has some styling I like and is much better than the current QX80 in my eye, if a bit quirky and oddly pointed around
the front bumper.

This does reinforce my suspicions that the Q50 will see the changes from the Z next year as a moderate refresh,
the 2024-25 retirement is sooner than I was expecting however.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 Signature Edition -- I know, shocking given my Username
203 Posts
I mean the QX80 concept is what was shown and its just that concept, doesn't look like its a ready for production in current form.
It has some styling I like and is much better than the current QX80 in my eye, if a bit quirky and oddly pointed around
the front bumper.

This does reinforce my suspicions that the Q50 will see the changes from the Z next year as a moderate refresh,
I like your optimism, because I think we're driving the last of a dying breed. I think the Q50, and maybe Infiniti as a brand, goes away in the next 5 years. Every other luxury brand has done so much more to keep moving forward, while Infiniti seems to think big discounts and inertia is enough. Now they've removed the big discounts, which puts them at a huge disadvantage, IMO. (You mean now we get old designs AND pay higher than MSRP? Where do I sign??)

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,764 Posts
From what I was told from a long time salesman at the dealership I used, was that the Q50 is on it's way out. Unfortunately.

Reactions: 21QSig

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,699 Posts
the front bumper.

IMHO, the current QX80 is a boxy turd. Anything will be an improvement.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I like your optimism, because I think we're driving the last of a dying breed. I think the Q50, and maybe Infiniti as a brand, goes away in the next 5 years. Every other luxury brand has done so much more to keep moving forward, while Infiniti seems to think big discounts and inertia is enough. Now they've removed the big discounts, which puts them at a huge disadvantage, IMO. (You mean now we get old designs AND pay higher than MSRP? Where do I sign??)
Aye I do lean more towards the optimistic side of things but usually I have reasons to be, granted Infiniti is in a rocky place but as said in the article they are aware of the issue and have
plans for the brand. Switching them to be focused on selling EV's make a lot of sense and is what they'd need to earn back its sales.

As for the MSRP while bad for optics and marketing purposes its less of an issue in the grand scheme of things due to the
lease deals and money off sticker Infiniti does still offer no one is really paying a higher MSRP at the end of the day.

Granted whether or not any of this will manifests we'll need to wait and see.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 Signature Edition -- I know, shocking given my Username
203 Posts
As for the MSRP while bad for optics and marketing purposes its less of an issue in the grand scheme of things due to the
lease deals and money off sticker Infiniti does still offer no one is really paying a higher MSRP at the end of the day.
I just took a look at the IFS website. Current incentives for the Q50:

1. $3k off if you're returning one off-lease, which would be insanity because of (inflated) current values which almost surely make the car worth way more than residual; or
2. 3.9% financing for 60 months.

That's it. And they're accompanied with "Retailer sets actual price", which is an acknowledgement that dealers are charging MSRP+ for cars that were $10k off a year ago.

All of this follows market trends, and I'm not suggesting that Infiniti shouldn't follow the market. EXCEPT -- they were the value leader before, which is a big reason why people chose the Q50 over the competition. That gap has been greatly narrowed, and there's no current reason to choose the Q50 unless you slipped into a coma in 2015 and just woke up, thinking it's a current design.

I feel terrible for anyone buying a new Q50 right now, because if the market corrects itself even a little, they're going to be upside down on that car forever.

Now -- if you happen to be in a region where they're discounting these cars, then you can take a leave of absence from your job and make a living buying them and selling them everywhere else for a tidy profit.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,699 Posts
I just took a look at the IFS website. Current incentives for the Q50:

1. $3k off if you're returning one off-lease, which would be insanity because of (inflated) current values which almost surely make the car worth way more than residual; or
2. 3.9% financing for 60 months.

That's it. And they're accompanied with "Retailer sets actual price", which is an acknowledgement that dealers are charging MSRP+ for cars that were $10k off a year ago.

All of this follows market trends, and I'm not suggesting that Infiniti shouldn't follow the market. EXCEPT -- they were the value leader before, which is a big reason why people chose the Q50 over the competition. That gap has been greatly narrowed, and there's no current reason to choose the Q50 unless you slipped into a coma in 2015 and just woke up, thinking it's a current design.

I feel terrible for anyone buying a new Q50 right now, because if the market corrects itself even a little, they're going to be upside down on that car forever.

Now -- if you happen to be in a region where they're discounting these cars, then you can take a leave of absence from your job and make a living buying them and selling them everywhere else for a tidy profit.
IFS gave me 0% interest for 60 months back in the day. That 60 months ends in September and no more car payments!

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Concept that is show in that article is for the QX EV Inspiration which at one point was the Infiniti Version of the Ariya aka New QX70 BEV. I fully expect to see the 90% to production Concept QX80 in Q4 call QX80 "SOMETHING LIKE MONOGRAPH", then next summer we see the 100% Production QX80 with sales starting at end of year as a 2024.

Thats the way its been done on the last few launches (expect QX55, no concept for that).

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
The Concept that is show in that article is for the QX EV Inspiration which at one point was the Infiniti Version of the Ariya aka New QX70 BEV. I fully expect to see the 90% to production Concept QX80 in Q4 call QX80 "SOMETHING LIKE MONOGRAPH", then next summer we see the 100% Production QX80 with sales starting at end of year as a 2024.

Thats the way its been done on the last few launches (expect QX55, no concept for that).
Hmmm I agree on all points I thought there was concepts of the QX55 granted I think it was only a digital concept, I actually totally forgot it existed
till you mentioned it. haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts